FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might be interested in seeing the Pelican case I just configured for my PS90 SBR.

This is the Pelican 1510 "pull along" type case, with wheels on the bottom and an extendable carry handle.

Stock foam was removed, and new foam without the pre-made cuts was ordered from a local foam company. I had the foam cut so that there is 2 layers, and I got some 1/4" thick MDF board with two pull tabs between the layers. This give me a whole 2nd section under the PS90 that I can make new cutouts on, for a suppressor, or a FiveseveN pistol, ammo, sights, etc.

Enough blab, here are the pics: (Let me know what you guys think)

Cheers!

Onyx

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks good. I think you may have missed the point of the foam by allowing the gun free access to the side of the case. I wouldn't be too rough with it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P90wn3r said:
Looks good. I think you may have missed the point of the foam by allowing the gun free access to the side of the case. I wouldn't be too rough with it!
The tip of the barrel and the corners of the buttstock do not actually touch, but are just short of the case itself. Generally, I am looking to protect my guns from outside dings and scratches as I transport them in the car/truck to the range or to go hunt, so this should do great for that. I would certianly want more foam around it if I was planning on throwing the case around alot.

Cheers!

Onyx

·
Registered
47 Posts
i was looking at this from pelican for $250, but i think im just gonna get the soft bag... im not sure this thing needs to be so big. im not flying with it....

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ive been looking at some for mine....does anyone have a good link for the hard case?

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
iCeMaN said:
ive been looking at some for mine....does anyone have a good link for the hard case?
I googled it, and I either found PS90 accessories or references to the case here on our site. So, I don't know where he got that at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wish someone would precut the foam for a smallish Pelican for the PS90 16" bbl (with the receiver separated from the stock). If that were available with cutouts for 2 more mags. I don't want a BIG pelican but a squarish one that would hold my tri-rail with EO512 would be verry cool.
I'm lousy cutting or even plucking foam.

(Yes, I'm a poor foam plucker...lol )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How to

swordsmn said:
I wish someone would precut the foam for a smallish Pelican for the PS90 16" bbl
You know Swordsmn, it's pretty easy really. Get replacement foam for the case, separate your upper from the lower, and lay them out on the foam (which you have in the case) to get the proper positioning.

Then, get a razor knife, the kind you can snap off sections as they dull, and fully extend the blade. Then, trace the outline of the PS90 with short sawing motions. Once you have this outline partially cut into the foam, take off the parts, and finish the cuts in the foam. Should only take you an hour or so, depending on how many beers you are into this project. :)

If you are in AZ, I would be happy to help you out with it.

Cheers!

Onyx

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
wow, that looks great. That white case with the FN sticker has quite a "presentation" quality to it. I wonder if dirt will be a problem.

The other case is just as nice. First class...both you fellas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I get serious about it, I may hit someone up for help (I'm in ATL area).
My issue is dexterity primarily. I have no fine motor control in my left hand. I ask my left index to wiggle I get 4 fingers moving (forcep injury)
Soo holding stuff while I humorously try to do stuff resembling artwork is tedious.

Plus I gotta decide if I wanna pony up the bucks for that style case even though the Pelicans look so cool.

Thanks much for the offer though

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a big fan of Pelican cases. I use them at work for daily carry of my duty rifle and opitcal equipement.

The P90 Pelican case at $250 is too much IMO, plus I have an Aimpoint on mine with a TROS mount so the foam will be a little different.

The official pre-cut P90 case is actually a Pelican 1600 case with the pre-cut foam, per a Pelican phone rep. The standard foam is easy to setup to whatever specs your rifle or SBR is. I just ordered a 1600 in desert tan from BH Photo.

www.bhphoto.com has them in stock in a variety of colors at $129 with foam. Aside from the desert tan I just ordered, they also have the grey (silver), orange, yellow, and black in stock as of this post.

For a working case, and definately if you use optics, I recommend the Pelican case.

I have a soft Assault Systems case now, but I have been looking for the right Pelican case for my SBR. The soft cases are good for standard non deployment carry, but for any in field use the Pelican is a good investment.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i went with the same case as onyx. very nice.

unfortunately i don't have the sbr as of yet so the upper receiver needs to be placed with the 2nd half of the foam cut separate from the stock. plus i'm only using the pre-cut foam at the moment. i won't post any pics unless requested because it's not the final deal, nor is it pretty.

it is however significanly smaller than the next available pelican case from what i've seen.

in the mean time i need to find a fn sticker. represent!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The next case up, like the one I now have is noticeably larger in all directions.

It has two layers of pick n pluck foam, plus a thin layer in the lid and base.

I use mine for work, and used the second layer of foam to make a channel for my sling for easy rapid deployment. It sits in the trunk of a patrol car, which can get tossed around on high priority calls.

I also have an Aimpoint on my SBR and must maintain its accuracy or someone has a really bad day. I did not want to risk any part of the P90 near the case, for brunt force shock purposes and screwing up my zero.

For a non-duty case the smaller one is the way to go. It is easier to carry by far.

I have also been looking for that FN sticker for the case.

I thought about labeling my P90 case "Plan A" and my gas piston AR15 with ACOG TA31DOC, Grip Pod, and M6 case "Plan B" :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts