FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So simple, I wonder why it wasn't thought of before. I wonder how well it works against game?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1df_1230886311

I wonder if these are used by Swat or special forces? A properly angled wall could shield a whole vehicle from one angle. Heck, it wouldn't take much thought to design one that would work at almost 360 degrees.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I wonder if I put that up in my room....the g/f wouldn't see me an leave :-D

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guarantee you that it will not work against the dangerous Mother-in-Law in your Living room... you will be spotted and beaten to death for trying to hide from her!!

Aside from that... just call your Romulan Brethren and get yoself a real cloaking devise!!!! hehehehe

Zhur

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I wonder if this would work in the even of a ZOMBIE attack!! :-D

·
Banned
328 Posts
A mirror? That would only be useful in terrain with a continuous pattern (like the field pictured) and the sun well in front of you. Since it's tilted forward it would cast a shadow if the sun got above or behind it. If the wind whipped it you would be in trouble.

I can't see SF preferring this over properly applied ghilly.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
This method of camoflage is not new its been around for several years now, The first time I saw it was on National Geographic and they were filming dangerous animals up close with a remote camera mounted on a remote control model truck body. The camo was 360 degree and made of Mylar. In grassy areas the thing would disappear but as soon as the truck moved it stuck out like a sore thumb. I'll take a look at Youtube I bet there has to be a video on it.

EDIT: Could not find a vid of the camera but what became apparent is this method goes back almost a hundred years, Used by magicians to hide there legs or items under a table or to disappear behind a small object.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yeah!-but the guy selling the product won't tell you that.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
It might work against the g/f though :-D

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
A couple of years ago, a video was getting emailed around with what was supposed to be an electronic version of this concept for military use. I wonder if it was a scam and the guys just had mirrors? Anyone else see it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The reason these aren't used in the military is that they will create glare at the enemy at most sun-bright / day light positions. If the sun is behind you it will also cast a shadow.

In the past there were trials with a 'soft' aluminum sheet version, kind of like a firm alufoil setup, but it too was more hassle than worth.

APC's have been tested with this too and only if the sun was in an optimal position did it hide the object well enough to fool an on-looker, and as the previous poster said, it has to be in a repetitive texture area, such as a field of grass/wheat/swamp, no woods or anything between the observer and the RTRC.

Electronic versions are around , just not..... 'around'. :?
(no human sized versions though AFAIK).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts