FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you put a Comp M4 on your gun with this type of Mount?

• Yes comp m4 and mount look good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes comp m4 no to mount

• Not to a comp m4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I went with a comp M4 thinking I could squeeze it in where the ring sight normaly sits and using the same attachment points. I have done a couple versions of mounts in FDM rapid prototype to check dimensions and the idea in general. I am hoping to make some out aluminum this week and was curious whether anyone else would see this as a good product for the P90/PS90????

Ultimately I am hopping to mount both my pvs-14 and aimpoint 3X behind the Comp M4 but one mount at a time... (included one pic of the roughdraft of the 14 mount)

I tried to set a poll but would be interested people thoughts on this - in any format but interpretive dance.

thanks,
TB

·
Registered
980 Posts
whoa, that pvs-14 mount looks pretty slick. Is it very robust?

I don't know many people with as nice optics as you have, but your design seems perfect!

·
Registered
569 Posts
You've definitely got *my* attention! I've already asked Trosusa about it (they already make the custom Mini-ACOG & Aimpoint mounts for the PS90) but haven't heard anything back yet. How much might this run?
Tomac

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am already running a Comp M3 on my PS90, both of your items look great. Does the M4 sit at the same height over the bore as the M3 in the TROSUSA mount? Will the PVS14 mount work with either combination?

I am interested in the PVS14 adapter, but currently only have a Gen3 MUM. Please allow me to make a few suggestions, since you mentioned using the PVS14 and the Aimpoint 3x magnifier. Have you seen the product in this link?
http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=90&parents=68

Adding a rail to the optic side of your adapter would allow the user to use that gg$g mount with either the 3x magnifier or the PVS14, (or the MUM with the new style weapon mount). Since lots of people have rails on their PS90 throw levers would allow you to remove the mount from the gun when not in use.

The next thing I thought about was that if you made the mount 2 piece it could then be adjustable for length so you could use the PVS14 3x magnifier accessory or one of the Gen 2 night strike 2.5x. This might make it necessary to have the mount made in more of an L shape to clear the lens assemblies on those configurations.

Of course all of these options tend to drive the cost of the item up. The problem with that is it starts to make the integral laser (modified with an IR diode) a more appealing option.

If I were only allowed on of the features that I suggested it would be the addition of the GG&G PVS14 and 3x magnifier mount. I would also look into possibly integrating their mount into your adapter to keep the package as streamlined as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

Tomac - I haven't decided yet if I am making a few of these myself after hours (for myself and a couple friends) or farming them out to the shop I am having quote on making a larger number of them. I also don't know if its cricket advertise here (I seldom read the rules). Short answer on $$$ is: TBD - will update or let you now...

WHS - The height is such that there is about a .1" clearance at bothe ends of the aimpoint between the sight and the reciever to allow for scope caps or covers. Tros mount could be lower (I don't have one and don't know) because I believe it does not use the rear mounting point which limited how low I could go - but the front clearance would still be a limmiting factor. I don't think there is ever any one right answer... but the M4 being released at just the right time gave me an oprtunity to do something different -or- I would have an M3 in a Tros mount (I was moments from placing my order when I discovered the M3 was being reved to the M4). Also, Thanks for the GGG link I was wondering why anyone/everyone was making only 3X adapters or PVS-14 adapters seperately and no one was making a hybrid...I wonder no longer. That said I also have a MUM and love the double dovetail quick release and hope to have time to do a mount for that as well. Insight Tech. did a great job one uping ITT and Litton with that housing design - I am woried they have refocused on developing thermal sights and that may be the lastNV they do.

Apreciate all the commentsand questions on the pvs 14 mount - They are good ones, but as it was shown this is just a quick crude mock-up to validate things like reciever dimensions, eye relief and discover issues like "How do I get the mag out?" Doh! If it moves forward I will definately get some pics up, field questions and take commments pertaing to were I go with it... for now they are all encouragent to get off my but and go somewhere with it...

I wil post some more pics of the Comp M4 mount when I start cutting metal
thanks again,
TB

·
Registered
569 Posts
By all means, please keep us posted! I'm *very* interested in picking up a couple to try out on my PS90's. Thx again!...
Tomac

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like this may be compatible with the M3 and TROS mount. Keep us informed with the progress. If you decide to fab up a MUM mount I can volunteer my services as a tester for you with the M3 combo. I am thinking long and hard about figuring out a laser setup and possible another sight combo for the PS90.

I agree with you about the MUM only drawback is that it doesn't have an adjustable gain. From what I have seen it appears that they are interested in both thermal imaging and night vision.

IIRC, FN was supposed to have had a NVG compatible sight for the PS90, it certainly wasn't the standard ring sight.

·
Registered
569 Posts
PS- Any rough idea on an ETA? I, too, volunteer one of my PS90's as a testbed for the CompM4 mount if needed.
Tomac

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love the mount. Seems like a better way to mount something than by running undersize screws through the side mounting holes. With yours you could change side mount accessories without losing the sight's zero. I tried to think of something like yours, but gave up.

I'm using the MSW100 mount for my Compact ACOG and it is working great. It'd be nice if you could get your mount to work with the Compact ACOG's. More than likely the scope would be over the rear mounting screw though. Maybe you could use screw or bolt that could be tightened from the side.

Great work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
well, imho, that design is good but the m4 comp is way way way overpriced, and i have never co-witnessed a pvs 14 thru any sight because ive allways had acces to an IR laser which works out much easier. again thats just my opinion. but it is a nice design!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd like to see you make a similiar mount that would work with the Zeiss Z-point. Nicely thought out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts