FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new PS90 on 2-28-2014 and took it and my KSG to the range on 3-2-2014.Really was worried about the KSG having issues and not the PS90.Anyway on the 40th round put through the PS90 the pin that holds the firing pin in the Breach Block sheared and shot the firing pin and spring out the back.The range is also a store with a gunsmith and i walk up front with the pieces in hand and just then the gunsmith had walked in the door and showed it to him and he said he had never seen that happen before.Weird thing is that the whole top of the pin sheared off leaving about 1/8th inch piece still in the block.We drove the remaining piece of the pin out and he had an extra firing pin,spring and pin in stock as they also rent them and said that he doesnt see any issues related to the firing pin except on there full auto rental after 10,000+ round and has never seen a pin shear like that.Was firing Federal American Eagle 40 grains...got me a little worried that this happened to the PS90 and the KSG never skipped a beat when I figured it would have issues.Anyone here with any input or similar situations?Called customer support this morning and the guy said he had never seen or heard of that happening either...was also kind of rude.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had taken a picture...the gunsmith just happened to walk in the door to grab a few things on his day off and he grabbed it and took it to the back and wouldnt let me back there...I love it when they say for insurance reasons...the firing pin and the spring were still inside the stock but never found the pieces of the pin.I did have them order me 2 firing pins,2 springs and 2 roll pins...I can do pretty much everything myself was just surprised it happened...I hate it cause it makes me lose confidence in the weapon with what I do I need to rely on whatever I am packing...I am a belt and suspenders type of guy so I have a back up for my back up...LOL.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With the reported issues with inconsistent powder charges and bullet setback with the AE ammo, I wonder if that is the source of this failure...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will find out...let me look for a serial # date list...dont see it on the box anywhere and I hope its not like the KSG where you have to get out the calculator to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I will find out...let me look for a serial # date list...dont see it on the box anywhere and I hope its not like the KSG where you have to get out the calculator to figure it out.
May be on the white label/outer cardboard box!!! ;)

Tony

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Got any photo's???

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I believe they do make mil-spec roll pins, just an FYI. ( Spirol is 1 company )
I believe SS uses those in his ( our ) E.A.C.H.'s

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad you didn't get injured. I would question the previous usuage on it. Was it used? Check the front of the hammer pack where the shells impact before dump

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when parts fail. I have a PS90 I've had no issues with and I love the rifle. Also see no issues with the trigger group cracking in the FNP 9 I just traded for. Things do fail though, and it doesn't mean the firearm is inherently a POS.
I also love GLOCK's and I've heard of some KB's, breech face cracking, and various isolated problems. I myself sheared a trigger pivot pin on my G30 many moons ago (the pistol kept running like a champ until I found it). Point is, nothing is perfect. Broken parts are in-often though.
Keep some high wear spare items on hand, recoil and mag springs, maybe a firing pin. Inspect the firearm often to look for weird stuff happening. Burn a lot of powder and work on technique. Concentrate on staying sharp. Push the parts thing out of your mind, that's the last thing you want to be thinking of in a stress situation. Carry on-
Lee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when parts fail. I have a PS90 I've had no issues with and I love the rifle. Also see no issues with the trigger group cracking in the FNP 9 I just traded for. Things do fail though, and it doesn't mean the firearm is inherently a POS.
I also love GLOCK's and I've heard of some KB's, breech face cracking, and various isolated problems. I myself sheared a trigger pivot pin on my G30 many moons ago (the pistol kept running like a champ until I found it). Point is, nothing is perfect. Broken parts are in-often though.
Keep some high wear spare items on hand, recoil and mag springs, maybe a firing pin. Inspect the firearm often to look for weird stuff happening. Burn a lot of powder and work on technique. Concentrate on staying sharp. Push the parts thing out of your mind, that's the last thing you want to be thinking of in a stress situation. Carry on-
Lee
Yes sir I am 100% with you on that...I have spares on order...2 roll pins,2 firing pins and 2 springs...I have always been a belts and suspenders type of guy and would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them...it always seems to be the case that if I have extras I never need them...knock on wood.Would also like to have an extra trigger pack as it got a little gouge in it when the malfunction happened but seems to be fine at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts