FN Herstal Firearms banner

New PS90 Owner--How do I sight this thing in?!?!

10K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  jamesteo320 
#1 ·
I noticed the manual was noticeably short on how to sight the optical sight in.
Do I have to spend $50.00 on a sight-adjustment tool or can I do it by hand? All I see are two hexagonal allen key holes in the side/top of the optical sight assembly.

Help!

#5 ·
metroplex said:
I forgot to add these important directions:

LOOSEN allen screw
Turn the adjuster
TIGHTEN allen screw

Using a 50 yd zero, SS195 should shoot flat out to 200m.
Okay...I can wrap my mind around that. So you turn the allen wrench and then you are able to spin the cylinders around and thus move the sight.

Are the adjustments "click" adjustments so that you can hear how many "Clicks" you're going in one direction, or are they just free turning, like an HK's rear diopter style sight?

#6 ·
Lord Skeletor said:
metroplex said:
I forgot to add these important directions:

LOOSEN allen screw
Turn the adjuster
TIGHTEN allen screw

Using a 50 yd zero, SS195 should shoot flat out to 200m.
Okay...I can wrap my mind around that. So you turn the allen wrench and then you are able to spin the cylinders around and thus move the sight.

Are the adjustments "click" adjustments so that you can hear how many "Clicks" you're going in one direction, or are they just free turning, like an HK's rear diopter style sight?
You would think that a $1400+ weapon would have decent iron sights, but apparently FN Herstal doesn't know how to make them (PS90 and FS2000 have horrible iron sights/factory sights).

The adjustments are not fine/click, but are rather coarse. You can easily get it off the paper... I would use the iron sights on the PS90 (the rear notch and front post on either side) as a starting point to "zero" out the reflex sight if you screw up.

#7 ·
these things come with a manual? I got a box with styrofoam and a worthless cable lock.

I got a black one a couple of weeks ago, been working too much to go shoot it yet though. Hopefully next week.

By the way, I'm Orbital, from Boise.

#8 ·
Welcome!

The PS90 should come with a manual. However, it's a pretty useless manual, and its cheaply made (the blue color starts to peel off as soon as you get it). I scanned mine and printed out the important sections (lube/cleaning) for easy reference. Give FN Herstal a call and ask for a replacement manual.

The accessories I recommend:
1). 50rd mags
2). brass catcher (so you can keep your brass or police it easier)
3). Otis cable, .22 cal patch puller, .22 cal brush, .30 cal brush + rod and handle (to clean the chamber).
4). 3mm hex wrench, 3mm hex bit

Don't bother with the FN cleaning kits, and their FN sling is a POS. I made my own single point, but I see that a lot of people are using the Blackhawk slings.

#10 ·
If you want to remove the sight, remove the two allen screws and it will come off. If you want to adjust the sight to zero it out, follow the above instructions - remember to loosen both allen screws or else the reflex sight will bind while trying to adjust it for windage/elevation.

I got my PS90 the first week of January and have been trying to like the reflex sight. It doesn't work at the range I shoot at, and 8 months later, I am still trying to ditch it for a rail and aftermarket optic. The USG rails are b/o'd for an unknown period of time (thanks to FN Herstals outstanding and efficient inventory system) and none of the aftermarket rails impressed me.

#12 ·
smoke said:
strange... Just finished an armorers course at FN and they were telling stories of people stripping the bodies from trying to remove the screws without turning the outside barrels.. Thats why I asked..
Thanks
smoke
Maybe I'm just confused by the official FNH USA terms, but the sights have two adjuster screws (I guess "barrels" from the context of FN's usage) that adjust the elevation/windage settings, and in the center of each adjuster/barrel, there is an allen screw (3mm hex wrench required). In order to remove the sights, simply remove the two allen screws. If you want to adjust the sight, loosen BOTH allen screws before adjusting the adjusters/barrels. :D I've done this at the range several times, and I have taken off the sight in the past. I don't see how you can strip the body unless you're trying to adjust the sights w/o loosening both allen screws.

#14 ·
smoke said:
They would not let us take the sights off .. just kept saying without the sight tool you WOULD screw up the body.. Sounds like the teacher did not know the product...
Thanks
smoke
LOL.

Don't bother paying the $50 for their "sight tool". Just get a 3mm hex bit for a magnetic screwdriver or use a 1/4 socket with the 3mm hex bit and/or get a 3mm hex wrench. The factory does not apply massive torque to the allen screws, I'd say maybe 3-4 ft-lb at MOST (but don't torque it that high immediately, start with the hex wrench and finger power). Use your fingers to adjust the "Barrels". I did this at the range and didn't run into any problems. I also removed my reflex sight w/o their tool and didn't run into a problem.

I think it's more of job security than lack of knowledge about the product.

#17 ·
Yes Heres a good example of the armorers manual..

Page 43 Chapter 8 Maintenance
For Cleaning and lubricating ...Proceed as described in the owners manual..

Owners manual lists what oils not to use but no mention at all of what TO use...

Strange I would think ther armorers Manual should tell you exactly what to use and how when and where...

And I just love the Sight in adjustments 10A .
Looks like an engineer wrote them...
I'm used to shoot 3 shots if not on target move sights L or R till it does..

Just my thoughts

Looks to me like they need some down home shooters to make them a real manual (Owners and Armorers) and spell out what needs to be done..
smoke

#19 ·
I have enough info to draft up a basic maintenance guide, but the only things I am missing are detailed instructions on detail stripping the breech block/moving parts group and the hammer group for a full cleaning.

Torque specs for the frame screws would also help, since I need to take it apart and clean off the original oil to prevent it from attracting dirt/sand.

#20 ·
Orbital said:
these things come with a manual? I got a box with styrofoam and a worthless cable lock.

I got a black one a couple of weeks ago, been working too much to go shoot it yet though. Hopefully next week.

By the way, I'm Orbital, from Boise.
Wow, mine didn't come with a manual either, and not that it really matters, but the other PS90 I was looking at I noticed had a barrel plug to keep dirt out as well that mine didn't have with it. Is there anything else that should be in the box?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.