FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I got an unexpected bonus from work and decided to buy a SCAR 16s, I picked it up from my FFL last week and I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet. I have shot ARs for years and a few weeks ago I shot a friend's SCAR 16 and I was hooked. I plan to use the rifle for mostly <250 yard plinking, blowing up tannerite at my farm & SHTF HD (I live close to Ferguson, MO). I know everyone has a different opinion on how they are setup but I thought I should ask.

Since this was such an expensive rifle I want to make sure I don't do anything dumb with it.

So my questions to you guys are:

1. Any issues besides PMAG issue I need to be aware of? Special cleaning etc?

2. Sights? I was thinking about putting an ACOG on it, my cousin is a Marine and said they beat the hell out of them and they never fail, but they are serious $$$ so I want to make sure I get the right one.

3. Any other accessories besides Optic & Handle? Laser? Flashlight? Recommendations?

Thanks again for your feedback, I am stoked about this purchase!

Here is a picture of it (sorry its upside down), I picked it up for just a touch over $2,000 on Gunbroker NIB! Countertop Room Floor Furniture Table

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I am pumped about this purchase. My buddies all have tricked out ARs and I thought it was finally time to get one. Previously I had been all pistols, but I enjoyed the heck out of my buddies SCAR. I should have probably saved the money but that is boring. Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a 16s recently....and I have 400 rounds thru her.

What I've learned, or my strategy - is to not overclean. I'll give her a cleaning and barrel clean after 500 rounds.
I'll clean the piston after 1000.

When cleaning the piston, put it back in bone dry - no lube.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I had that charging handle whack my thumb on my buddies scar, that's why I got that grip pod. I picked it off on eBay for half price. I think the bipod/foregrip combo is sweet.

i had a buddy recommend the eotech magnifier but I kind of want an ACOG, any advice? I want something that's good to about 200 yards but could also work close too? Some of the ACOGs have a red dot and the eotech magnifier flips out of the way. Or is there something better in the same price range?

saturday can come soon enough! I am foaming at the mouth to shoot this gun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea that Eclan Specter 1-4 looks pretty sweet big $$$ though. I am thinking about spending approx $1,000-$1,500 ish. I may try and wait for the right ACOG on eBay, maybe a 4x32 with a Red Dot on it? I have gotten some good deals in the past from there. Probably seems crazy to some to go right for the most expensive optics choices but my philosophy with these things is if I am going to do it, then do it. Otherwise I'll get a mid-range optic and end up selling it at a loss down the road.

I hope you guys don't think I am the fat kid with the new sneakers and expensive baseball glove that is totally uncoordinated. I've been shooting these things for years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm brand new here, but I figured I would give you an opinion on the optic! Although I have only shot a SCAR once, I did spent 4 years in the USMC with my ACOG and I only ever had one fail me (it was almost silver from being beat up so much); it also had about 8 years in hard service at the time. The Elcans are very nice optics for the money, but I picked up my ACOG on eBay (it's a TA31RCO M150, the Army model) for $750 brand new. I chose the Army model because it uses turrets instead of brass screws to adjust the sight, but I am also used to using an ACOG. If you decide to go that route, then definitely make sure you practice shooting both eyes open and do some research on the Bindon Aiming Concept. You may not plan to take a shot over 300, but it's nice to know you have the option if need arises.

I have also had an EOTech, and I enjoyed it; however I hated feeding it lithium batteries as often as was required. The smaller EOTechs seem to be more friendly with the single CR123A. If I was shooting a red dot/holographic optic again I would probably snag up an Aimpoint CompM4 or T1 Micro with a magnifier for under 300 yards.

You can't go wrong on any of these IMO, and you already know to "buy once, cry once". Hopefully this isn't too long winded, just trying to give as much help as I can. Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I started out with an ACOG TA31RCOM4 on my SCAR 16 but switched to a Nightforce NXS 1-4X20 scope with the FC-2 reticle which can be used as a red dot 1X and still have the ability to go to 4X for longer shots.
Once upgrade I would suggest is to swap the stock trigger for a Geissele Super Scar trigger. It really is a tremendous improvement over the stock trigger.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
i had a buddy recommend the eotech magnifier but I kind of want an ACOG, any advice? I want something that's good to about 200 yards but could also work close too? Some of the ACOGs have a red dot and the eotech magnifier flips out of the way. Or is there something better in the same price range?
Yes, there is a better option: a 1-4X variable magnification telescopic sight. At close range, turn it down to 1 (or 1.25 or 1.5 depending on the makes and models) for very fast target acquisition. At longer range, dial up the magnification for more precise aiming.

A fixed 3X or 4X isn't going to be that great at contact range (25-yds or less). It will be significantly slower than red dot sights or even iron sights.

Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Patrol 30mm Riflescope | SWFA

You can get one of these that come with the mount AND two mags. It's plenty good enough for the SCAR16 unless you want a well over $1000 scope for bragging rights.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I enjoy my eotech xps3 and g33 magnifier with the quick flip option. I've had a cr123 battery in it for about 3.5 years now. I'm big on eye relief so having the ability to switch to the larger holographic sight by flipping the g33 out of the way was a big plus for me. If you go with an acog make sure you avoid the tiny reticle setup. Looking through some models of the acogs is painful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up getting an EOtech HHS 2 w/ G33 3x Magnifier because I figure in a SHTF scenario closer range would be ideal. Plus I have about 30 of these batteries laying around as they are what the Viridian on my Sig uses.

I bought it on Amazon so I'll shoot a lot with it this weekend and if I hate it I will return it.

question, if I dropped this gun and cracked the backplate where stock attaches then what? Dumb question, but I feel like if that part cracks the gun is useless, although I'm sure the plastic is strong enough. Just curious and looking to learn more about my new rifle!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts