FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys first post, I've been a lurker on the forum for a while and never really posted until I recently purchased a brand new SCAR 17S.
Upon receiving the rifle I immediately did more research on the SCAR 17S on how to zero the iron sights and etc.

The iron sights were supposed to be zeroed from the factory so I wanted to confirm.
However when I took her to the range and followed the 25/300m BZO procedure and shot a 3 round group at 25m.
She shot low and left so I adjusted only the front sight for elevation and windage and it seems that I had to adjust the windage all the way to the end of adjustment to the left. I then fired another 3 round group and it was still about an inch to the left.
Upon further inspection I can see that my barrel is almost touching the left side of the handguard and I'm pretty sure from the looks of it that the barrel is canted.

So I did some researched online and I had removed and reinstalled the barrel assembly following the SCAR Operators Manual torquing the nuts to 62 in/lbs and in the correct sequence still the same no change in the position of the barrel and she still shot left.

My question is do you have any other suggestions or should I just call FN and send her back to confirm also has anyone ever had and recent experience with FN's warranty service regarding a canted barrel?

Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I could be wrong, but adjust your sights not your barrel! If you adjust your iron sights and then have issues with accuracy then I would be concerned...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you buy from a shop or on line?If from a shop take it back,if on line contact them to send back,either way seller should make right,after all you bought a NEW rifle!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Do the rear sights have windage adjustments too?
That's what all adjustable rear sights have. Some rear sights you get the added bonus of elevation too. The SCAR's happen to have both. To the OP, I'd try re-installing the barrel one more time paying attention to the barrel alignment at the front of the receiver as you torque the barrel screws. If it doesn't line up right then I would send it to FNH and let them go crazy fixing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could be wrong, but adjust your sights not your barrel! If you adjust your iron sights and then have issues with accuracy then I would be concerned...
I only adjusted the front iron sight and it reached the end of adjustment. I only removed and reinstalled barrel after when I couldn't get it to zero correctly. Even then it still shot to the left.

Did you buy from a shop or on line?If from a shop take it back,if on line contact them to send back,either way seller should make right,after all you bought a NEW rifle!
I bought it from a small LGS and I just talked to the seller he said I would have to deal directly with FN but he would help me out if FN were to give me the run around.

That's what all adjustable rear sights have. Some rear sights you get the added bonus of elevation too. The SCAR's happen to have both. To the OP, I'd try re-installing the barrel one more time paying attention to the barrel alignment at the front of the receiver as you torque the barrel screws. If it doesn't line up right then I would send it to FNH and let them go crazy fixing it.
Tried reinstalling the barrel and it's still off center close to touching the handrail
Gonna send it in to FN but with all this virus mess going around idk how long I would be without a rifle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Question for you. Since the rear sight is attached to the upper rail it would seem to me that maybe there would be more chance the either the top rail would be off, or the rear sight not attached to the rail correctly or the windage adjustment of the rear sight is way off. Have you a picture of the backside of the rear sight looking at the relationship of the white index mark to the Allan screw in the rail. Also what if you put the front sight windage in the middle and tried correcting it with windage adjusting the rear sight and see how it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Question for you. Since the rear sight is attached to the upper rail it would seem to me that maybe there would be more chance the either the top rail would be off, or the rear sight not attached to the rail correctly or the windage adjustment of the rear sight is way off. Have you a picture of the backside of the rear sight looking at the relationship of the white index mark to the Allan screw in the rail. Also what if you put the front sight windage in the middle and tried correcting it with windage adjusting the rear sight and see how it is.

Not sure about the top rail but I did remove the rear sight and remounted it. I counted the clicks and centered the rear sight as well about 18 clicks and still no luck.
I only really adjusted the front sight because that is what you are supposed to do when zeroing irons and you're supposed to leave the rear centered.

Rifle will be sent out to FN next week and we shall see what they have to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update after a 6-7 month long wait without my SCAR I am finally getting a replacement sent to me arriving sometime next week.

The whole process has been a headache both due to the supply and demand of firearms and the virus crap going on.
I had to call a few times to check on the status of the repair. I mean its a 3K+ rifle.

First call:
After I sent my SCAR 17 in and it arrived. I called them to make sure they received the firearm to be 100% sure they got it.

Second call:
They got to work on it and they tried to place a new barrel assembly on but could not fix the rifle.

Third call:
FN CS rep said Gunsmith was waiting for test fire results

Forth call:
FN opted to replace the rifle instead of messing with it further. Told me I would have to wait for the next batch but there was no ETA so I sent over my local FFL info so whenever they have a replacement available they didn't have to wait for me to provide any other information.

I kept calling about each month after that to check up on the status. Same thing was said Rifle will be replaced as soon as they have inventory available.

Took a bit but I finally got an Email with tracking number and new serial number hopefully its perfect 6-7 month wait is too long for a replacement but I can understand since I cant even go to my local sporting goods store and buy ammo.

A tip for anyone dealing with FN's Customer Service / Warranty Repair is to Keep calling them to check up on your gun and to be patient.

Since the wait was so long I had time to piece a few mods to add to her once I confirm it functions and is not canted.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hopefully this time you will have zero issues with the new one

·
Registered
1 Posts
My barrel is 1 millimeter to the right while looking down the sights from the hand guard. I called FN and they said it shouldn’t be an issue.
Also my LGS won’t allow me to swap the rifle either. Stating bullshit about the paperwork with serial number yadda yadda.
I’m going to sight in my rifle with irons and with my Gen 2 1-6 next weekend. I will keep you guys posted. I honestly don’t think there will be an issue but if there is I’m pulling the barrel and doing an reinstall. If still messed up then going to pay FN to fix the QA f up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts