FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
congrats on the scar and welcome to the scar family.
what optics to recommend depends on the primary use of the rifle.
personally, i would stick with a red dot or rmr is i was serious about using it inside for home defense, and get a silencer.
if you think the rifle is going to get much more outdoor use, an lvpo makes more sense to me.
the first question is how much do you want to spend? and what is the farthest you might want to shoot with confidence?
Price isn’t really the issue, just how long it will take to get the money to set it up. I’d rather spend the money once the right way

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice, now I just gotta figure out what I “like” fortunately I have a retired marine handy to help me get all this worked out. Do you tilt the rifle when using the red dot? Does that effect the recoil direction.
Yes, you cant the rifle. Here's video with a similar setup. Skip to 19 secs if you just want to see him cant it. But, the video is really short.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, you cant the rifle. Here's video with a similar setup. Skip to 19 secs if you just want to see him cant it. But, the video is really short.

Nice, seems like canting the other way would be more ideal for maintaining cover. Or am I thinking about it wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I meant canting the barrel away from you instead of towards you like he does in the video to maintain a small profile in cover, but I pulled my rifle out and tried it, no good. The stock sits too awkwardly against your chest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I meant canting the barrel away from you instead of towards you like he does in the video to maintain a small profile in cover, but I pulled my rifle out and tried it, no good. The stock sits too awkwardly against your chest.
I think I’m still confused. The point of the offset red dot has nothing to do with cover. Or, I should say, it’s not usually the main point of having it.

It simply acts as a “quick magnification adjustment”.

For example, these are some basic ways to adjust magnification:

• Turn dial on traditional scope (like Schmidt & Bender)
  • Flip up magnifier (like EOTech + G33)
  • Throw lever (like Elcan Spectre)
  • Turn your gun sideways (offset/canted iron sights or red dot)

Turning your gun sideways will likely be the fastest maneuver to do out of the above. So if you need to go from shooting far to shooting close quickly, the canted setup is how you’d set your rifle up. Of course, this comes at the cost weight, maybe some maneuverability, etc.

My apologies if you know all this.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Here’s another video from Lucas (guy in the video) about canter setups. It’s long but a good watch in my opinion.

since the kid mentioned it, i will recommend a taller mount on many guns for a true 1x lvpo if you are going to shoot both eyes open type shooting. both eyes open with your cheek buried is not ideal (for me) so i went from a 1.5 to a 1.93" high mount and that little bit makes a difference imho. of course you don't have to buy a bucks up scalarworks mount (like i did).

the lvpo you see on it only costed $50 more than the mount, lol.
that is a swampfox arrowhead 1-10x, and it is pretty darn good for the money (i paid fo-fiddy).
comes with the caps, throw lever, locking turrets, illuminated and a choice of reticles.
not quite as bright as my Mark 5HD, but then it is $1500 less...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Gas

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Price isn’t really the issue, just how long it will take to get the money to set it up. I’d rather spend the money once the right way
As others have said... take your time.

I finally put a scope on my 17S last week and I've had the 17 for right at 10 years... Elcan 1.5-6 which I've lusted after and vacillated over for years.

Been using just the iron sights since I got it and loved every second of it. Well, except for that 12 rounds I put through it with a Vortex Strike Eagle mounted... Had 20 rounds in the magazine, but it only took 12 rounds to destroy the Strike Eagle which got warranty repaired and now sits on a 16S!!!

Did the obligatory Geissele trigger swap, Atlas bipod, PMM bolt catch release and selector levers, added a Dbal3 and SF Vampire/Scout (ready for NV), and an SF brake with a SOCOM 7,62 RC2. Didn't happen over night, but it's been a great journey and so much fun along the way.

Enjoy it... I know you will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i kinda don’t know what kind of scope I want. With little to no experience with them, I’ve had a huge number of suggestions. Ideally I want something for long and short range and possibly low light. I don’t expect to be in a situation I need to shoot to the
Limits of the scars range, nor do I expect to need it in no/low light . Nor do I believe that I will need to be ready for multiple short range targets. But I want to set the rifle up and train to do all those things. Have it and not need it > need it and not have it. I’m guessing a medium to long scope, and then a separate red dot sight is probably gonna be the best setup, I’m not sure how to set that up or even if it’s possible, but that’s the plan. I’ve done 0 shooting beyond 50 yards and have a ton to learn.
I'm ask yourself the question: at what ranges do I want to be the most effective? If less than 200 yrs then maybe an Tech with or without a magnifier would be good. Also if short range consider a laser / flashlight. If seeking better long range potential then an ACOG or a good MIL scope would be better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I purchased my scar 17s today. Cleaned and lubed it as best I could. I have no experience with semi auto rifles (pistols yes rifles no) is there a cleaning kit that is a go to for the scar 17s. And I talked myself out of buying a scope because I don’t really know anything about them. Having shot 60 rounds through it at about 100 dollars. I need more magazines, a scope/sight, ammo suggestions for just shooting. And for home defense. Also is there anything else I need to know?
Get an ACOG. If it fails, you’re effed anyway. Plus, the irons are zeroed for 100yds from the factory.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With the amount of affordable quality low power varible optics available now, I fail to see the relevance of a going with an ACOG now unless you already own one.

I believe much but not all of the recent US military contracts for low power optics are going mostly to LPVO now instead of an ACOG setup.

If I was going LPVO, I'd probably go Primary Arms ACSS reticle 1 to 6/8 power first focal plane. GrandThumb ran one hard on a SCAR-17H and his kept functioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the amount of affordable quality low power varible optics available now, I fail to see the relevance of a going with an ACOG now unless you already own one.

I believe much but not all of the recent US military contracts for low power optics are going mostly to LPVO now instead of an ACOG setup.

If I was going LPVO, I'd probably go Primary Arms ACSS reticle 1 to 6/8 power first focal plane. GrandThumb ran one hard on a SCAR-17H and his kept functioning.
I mentioned the ACOG because it is an optic that requires no batteries like an LPVO. That makes it worth the extra cost, IMHO. Plus the 6X ACOG is based on the 308NATO. No fuss, no muss. We don’t buy SCARs because they work in perfect conditions, we buy them because they work in ANY condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So now with about 800 rounds expended through my scar, I ****ing love this gun. I picked up an angled fore grip I saw at bass pro. I hate it, but I’m not hitting my thumb with the charge handle anymore. Gonna try a vertical grip soon. Getting better with the iron sights, or luckier hard to say. I also learned that 308 will over, penatrate a pine tree of about 8 inch thickness. There was nothing behind it for miles except a **** ton more trees, but I’m uncomfortable with the idea of not knowing where those rounds stopped at. So I’m working on an elevated firing position and a good dirt pile behind my target area. Before I shoot at home anymore. Lesson learned the easy way for once in my life.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts