FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I won this 20s in a raffle for $92. My mind is still blown... the scar 20s is the newer model, 1:10 twist with the break vs the flash hider. Since I got the deal of a lifetime on this rig I’m not afraid to go all out on the optic. I see a lot of guys talking about the NF atacr 4-16. I have always been a big Vortex guy. What are some suggestions on glass? Money is not the issue here.
Has anyone ran a thermal on one? Ive thought about going that route but that would be a lot of dinero for a high enough quality.
Any general recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Cannot wait to get her on the range.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ATACRs are awesome...the 4-16 is a great piece of kit...the 5-25 is also solid...

I briefly ran a Mk6 3-18 ECOS-O and it was also good to go...dear I say...the glass on my sample was as good as my previously owned SB 3-20 US...

I will be running a Steiner M5XI 5-25 Coyote Brown...reaaallly miss my older M5XI 3-15 on my AR10...so decided to go with the 5-25 on the 20S...

However...I am itching to try a ZCO as well...oh...so many great choices on optics...

I would say reticle plays a huge role for me as well...I've came to reaaally like the H-59 reticle...its such a versatile reticle...I almost went with the Tremor3 but those dang enlarged dots are just too interfering...I like the capabilities of a simple, versatile X-mas reticle...

·
Registered
683 Posts
congrats!
depending on how far you want to shoot, you might want a bit higher magnification.
you can always dial down when you don't need it.

Reactions: Mharley144

·
Registered
683 Posts
of course it depends on what you plan on doing with it, and perhaps what else you have.
i run a modest 3.6-18x because this is sort of my do everything rifle rather than a dedicated long range precision gas gun.
this is because it is the only fully semi-automatic centerfire rifle i own. (no AR-15) :oops:
if i had a safe full of other rifles, i would put at least a 25x on the 6.5CM version of this rifle to get the most out of it's potential.
while you might not use all of the power, image quality is generally better at less than max magnification, and low light performance is going to be better with a larger objective.

psa: check your barrel screws to ensure they are to spec @62in/lbs and check the screws in the stock as well.
one of the vendors has 62in/lb fix it sticks, which is convenient.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
So I won this 20s in a raffle for $92. My mind is still blown... the scar 20s is the newer model, 1:10 twist with the break vs the flash hider. Since I got the deal of a lifetime on this rig I’m not afraid to go all out on the optic. I see a lot of guys talking about the NF atacr 4-16. I have always been a big Vortex guy. What are some suggestions on glass? Money is not the issue here.
Has anyone ran a thermal on one? Ive thought about going that route but that would be a lot of dinero for a high enough quality.
If money isn’t a issue for optics then go whole hog and get a top of the line Schmidt & Bender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since he only paid $92.00 for the rifle I think he can splurge a little on a good optic! lol!!!
Correct only having $92 in a $4500 gun I feel it truly deserves at least a $2k scope. Also Im 25 with a decent job no wife or kids. So ill never have this opportunity to build a dream set up.

I considered the Schmidt and Bender but Ive never looked through one or talked to anyone I personally know that has one. Im sure they are phenomenal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Correct only having $92 in a $4500 gun I feel it truly deserves at least a $2k scope. Also Im 25 with a decent job no wife or kids. So ill never have this opportunity to build a dream set up.

I considered the Schmidt and Bender but Ive never looked through one or talked to anyone I personally know that has one. Im sure they are phenomenal.
you might find much more info on high end optics on snipershide, just FYI.

Reactions: Mharley144

·
Registered
68 Posts
Assuming this is a US resident.. You are aware that FNAR is going to cost a lot more than $92 after you pay the tax man?

It's gonna cost a lot more than a couple of hundred of dollars to pay off the gift/winnings taxes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Assuming this is a US resident.. You are aware that FNAR is going to cost a lot more than $92 after you pay the tax man?

It's gonna cost a lot more than a couple of hundred of dollars to pay off the gift/winnings taxes.
Always a downer in every group. You ONLY PAY THE TAX if the bloodsucking bastards ask for it, PERIOD!!! Go watch the debate Havoc...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Always a downer in every group. You ONLY PAY THE TAX if the bloodsucking bastards ask for it, PERIOD!!! Go watch the debate Havoc...
There are specific requirements regarding raffle prizes that govern both the winner and the organization awarding the prize. It’s never wrong to be educated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
since, i guess it doesn't reach the $5k threshold, they don't have to get the money from the winner up front, and they can 1099 him or something?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations on your raffle win. I wish I were that lucky! But I agree with the rest of the team that you can splurge on the optics since you did not have to spend much on the SCAR. I'm a Leupold guy but other scopes are great too. Let us know what you choose.

Cal68

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
I would be surprised if it was even reported. Was the prize donated or bought for the raffle? If bought, what was the price paid? FMV, retail, cost? There are variables that are not addressed here.

Further, it does not meet the $5k threshold for reporting.

I doubt the winner will have any IRS reporting issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts