FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all on the forum. I have been reading this forum for the past several months and this seems to be great community, and a goldmine of information and knowledge. I decided to join since I finally bought my 17s last month. " Black of course. Got impatient on waiting for FDE here in North MS." As everyone has said , I could have found a FDE online, but my out the door price on this black one was 2739.
Anyway I am, as most of you also are, waiting on the SEAL lower to be released. My big decision now is which mags to go with..... I Have no other 308 platforms now. " Sold M1A socom 2 ebr for this bad boy.I still have too many of the un opened check mate mags to get rid of now". So, after reading extensively, still deciding on which to get before spending several hundred on mags.
It appears now the scar mags are available and the new gen 3 pmags are scarce. Huh. Anyway. ..
Once again, hello to everyone and thanks for all the great info on here. Glad to be on here.

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Mine is another vote for factory mags.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Mk 17S

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would stock up on OEM magazines while they are cheap. If there is ever another looming magazine ban they will be among the most valuable magazines in the USA.

That being said I am also a 308 AR owner so I stocked up on 18 of the 20rd 308 P-Mags and will buy at least 20 of the new 308 25rd Window P-Mags when they finally come out in expectation of buying one of Sgt Stryker's SEAL lowers.

I will have 2 complete lowers with 2 complete trigger mechs in them ready to go with each type of mag when it's all said and done.

Options are a great thing to have and why choose between two great options when you can have BOTH.

Buy your OEM mags now(at least 12-14 of them) and consider the low cost and widely accepted commonality of the 308 P-Mags for a future expansion of your SCAR's capabilities when the SEAL lower comes out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like the other guys said, I think you should get your hands on some factory mags to start with. Im also getting the SEAL as I have a ton of 308 pmags. If your going that route as well keep your eye out for magpul 25 rounders and also Lancer 20 round mags. The lancers are coming out soon and they are great mags!!! my new favorite.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have struggled with the decision of which mag variant to get on the Seal lower also. Here it is, the only real solution. Buy both ! I'll start with the original FN mag lower, then the other. The ability to have different mag set ups is too good to pass up. I've decided to go with the original mags first. When in doubt, factory parts is the safest way. If the military wasn't using them I would go with the other variant first. But two complete lowers using the same mags is good. We just don't buy rifles any more. We are buying weapons platforms. Complete one platform at a time is my two cents. Of course the other lower variant is part of the platform too, but I call this the basics. Spare lower, and spare all moving parts and springs, including gas piston assembly. And I hate to say it, 2 scopes are better than one even though expensive. Ammo of course, then the other lower for different mags, then the second 17 purchase. It's a lot I know...but that's what I call a weapons platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great input. I believe I will load up on OEM first, then add additional options later. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Welcome! OEM mags are the way to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts