FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I am new to all this and just looking for a little bit of advice/input. I pick up my black "California Edition" SCAR17 on Saturday and am so torn on sights. My budget is 2k, and I would love a good dual purpose scope that I can shoot 0-500yards with, if that makes sense

My attention has been on the Elcan DR or the ACOG, but am open to suggestions. I appreciate any feedback/suggestions ahead of time and thank you for the input.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Congrats on your SCAR & welcome. Out to 500yrds there are so many options. If you can try something your interested in at the local range or from a friend first hand that always helps. I went with the ELCAN 1.5x6 and it suits my needs just fine, I really enjoy the optic and have no complaints. There are some pretty good "SCAR Optics Threads" on the forum if you hit up the <search> field you can ready for days. Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
671 Posts
0-500 yards Kahles K16i with SM-1 reticle all day. Now that the Z8i is coming out this year, it will be interesting to see if a K18i is released, if so that may be worth the wait. K16i is a pubic hair over 2k, if you really can't go over Leupold Mk6 1-6 is what you seek.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I may be in the minority but I actually have 2 optics for my 17s. I have a Bushnell HDMR G2 (34mm FFP) 3.5-21x in a QD mount and an Aimpoint Comp M4s in a QD mount ..... That way I can bounce between them depending on what kind of shooting I am doing.

I did have a Vortex Razor 1-6 on it for a little bit as a "do all" optic but Its hard to find an optic that gives you true 1x and high mag when you need it (No such thing exists) so I just went with 2 different optics :?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Elcan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been updating my experience with an AccuPower (http://fnforum.net/forums/scar-accessories-scopes-mods/79141-trijicon-tr22.html) RS22 (2.5-10X) on the forum. It might not be of interest to what you're looking to purchase but I'm actually quite happy with it. I have an ACOG (.223 reticle) from my AR that I slapped on the 17 before the AccuPower purchase and it served purpose. Just my .02.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with the Elcan 6x, which should be delivered tomorrow, and I get to pick up my Scar17 Saturday after the California 10 day wait. I'll take her out Saturday and will let you guys know how it went. I am intrigued by the Nightforce mentioned above. Do most people just have one optic for their Scar or is it common to have two? I apologize if that's a silly question but kinda new to longer range rifles.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looks great Congrats matches your rifle well. I sure hope you had on some really good head phones shooting that beast indoors like that, and hopefully you won't burn the range down with the flame coming out of your 17. :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts