FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the first prototype of a SCAR tool I am developing.

It will contain a flat blade small enough to remove the screw in the selector to disassemble the trigger group, it will have 3 hex keys for all the sizes on the rifle (the 5mm will be extra long to reach inside the pistol grip to remove that screw). It has a T25 Torx tip.

It also combines all the tools from the cleaning kit, and the operator's kit, including a gas valve wrench, the 8mm open end for the grenade launcher, all the gas piston scraping edges, and a drill to bore out the gas cylinder. It will also have two small picks to clean out the passages in the gas valve.

I'm still working on how to best incorporate a front sight tool.

Picture has plastic prototype parts, tool steel parts are underway.

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price is not yet determined, but it is definitely going to be better than the FN original tools. Those have a huge price because they are scarce, not because they are worth that much.

Most of the included wrenches are standard tools, and don't cost much, what will drive the cost is the production of the custom tools.

I will do a video, or at least a series of stills, showing how to use the tools.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks Art. I've been using your SCARbon scraper and love it. I'll definitely add one of these to my tool kit when/if you get it where you want it.

Thanks for the effort...

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The price is not yet determined, but it is definitely going to be better than the FN original tools. Those have a huge price because they are scarce, not because they are worth that much.

Most of the included wrenches are standard tools, and don't cost much, what will drive the cost is the production of the custom tools.

I will do a video, or at least a series of stills, showing how to use the tools.

Nice Art.I like it!

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a better picture, showing the other side.

Tools are 2.5mm hex, 3mm hex, T25, small flatblade, and dual pick for gas ports.

On the front side, you see the prototype scrapers (drill got broken off), and a 5mm hex, which will be much longer in the production version.

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the first pre-production sample, using tool steel parts:

These are cut reasonably well, but I might need to go back and ream, or machine, some of the critical dimensions.

Also, the pick for cleaning out the gas port holes - I was trying to be clever by using a tool I did not need, and silver soldering two different diameter tips on it. Later, I thought I would make a dedicated tool per hole size (as you can see on the end). Benefit with the dedicated tool is you can touch the tip on a belt sander or grinder to re-sharpen it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here is a better picture, showing the other side.

Tools are 2.5mm hex, 3mm hex, T25, small flatblade, and dual pick for gas ports.

On the front side, you see the prototype scrapers (drill got broken off), and a 5mm hex, which will be much longer in the production version.

Could you squeeze a Torx 15 in there somewhere?

·
Registered
660 Posts
T15s are standard Mark 4, Mark 6, and Mark 8 ring top screws and most of the Warne rings as well.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, thanks for the clarification.

This was exactly why I went the direction of adding the 1/4" hex socket, so that the user could add whatever hex tip they needed for their setup. What I might look at is offering T15 hex tips on my website, so users could order these with the tool. If not, Lowes sells them for $1 each.

That said, I am still playing around with everything I want to fit in there - I'm prototyping a front sight adjustment wrench as we speak. If, after I get that in, and there is still room in the handle for an additional tool, I'll certainly take a look at a T15.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts