FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new Scar and there is visible oxidation on the flash hider. I've never seen this on a new firearm and never on a firearm I cleaned after shooting. Anyone else see this problem?

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Obviously it was test fired but I thought manufacturers cleaned them to prevent corosion after tested.
Yeah, FN packs em' away dirty.

Reactions: Smurky

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Think the SCAR's are dirty when they ship DON'T BUY A KNIGHTS ARMAMENT, all of them are fired and many are qualified before sending them out. They are by far the dirtiest new rifles I have ever received.

If I recall correctly FN doesn't shoot just a couple rounds through them to test fire but a mag worth, muzzle brakes that are on the SCARs do have more surface area for the vaporized copper residue to collect on and take a little time to oxidize. It's normal for some manufactures.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Yup, normal. Just give it a cleaning.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well made weapons generally come dirty. I personally like to know they were test fired. In fact, the dirtier the better. All four SCARs I have came dirty when I received them. Just clean and lube before shooting it the first time.

The SCAR stays so clean that I don't do a full clean on them often. I just run a bore snake through the bore a couple times and sometimes wipe down the bolt and re-lube it. Complete cleanings after maybe 4 or five shooting trips. I use SLIP 2000 EWL and a little action grease sometimes on the SCARs. And FireClean on ARs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well made weapons generally come dirty. I personally like to know they were test fired. In fact, the dirtier the better. All four SCARs I have came dirty when I received them. Just clean and lube before shooting it the first time.

The SCAR stays so clean that I don't do a full clean on them often. I just run a bore snake through the bore a couple times and sometimes wipe down the bolt and re-lube it. Complete cleanings after maybe 4 or five shooting trips. I use SLIP 2000 EWL and a little action grease sometimes on the SCARs. And FireClean on ARs.
Same here, use the bore snake after a couple of outings and thoroughly clean it when groups start yo open up.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I get suspicious when a NIB gun comes clean as a whistle. That suggested to me that it hadn't been fired for functional check. Though I "think" that IWI USA cleaned their Tavors after function test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.