FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up factory new SCAR17. I feel like the buttons on the stock to fold & extend it aren't working properly because I have to press them in EXTREMELY hard, and I'm not weak, to get them
to work. I have to really crank it & pull on it to get the stock to fold and extend and it takes basically almost all my effort. I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag bro but I work out & im not a 13 year old girl. Is this normal? I feel like the stock should fold and extend smoothly. Not the case. Is this how they all are when they are new? Or should I return it?

·
Registered
961 Posts
They are wee bit tough, just like the front iron sight post. It will get easier. Make sure you are pressing the tabs all the way in before trying to extend the butt stock.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
They are firm when new, but there shouldn't be any grunting involved.

Reactions: Triggersdown17

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Picked up factory new SCAR17. I feel like the buttons on the stock to fold & extend it aren't working properly because I have to press them in EXTREMELY hard, and I'm not weak, to get them
to work. I have to really crank it & pull on it to get the stock to fold and extend and it takes basically almost all my effort. I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag bro but I work out & im not a 13 year old girl. Is this normal? I feel like the stock should fold and extend smoothly. Not the case. Is this how they all are when they are new? Or should I return it?
Yes, it's normal. And yes, it should work smoothly...if it were made out of metal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The button is a real "pain in the a**" to press down and since it has to be pressed down all the way in , it is kind of tough . Also it has to be pressed down too in order for the stock to click in the normal extended position and that bothers me more than the initial button pushing for folding the stock .
I would really like just to unfold the stock without having to push the damn button to secure it .

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah same here, picked up a new SCAR17 a week ago and the button to fold the stock is extremely stuff,but it will break in over time im sure.

Reactions: Triggersdown17

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is the way mine was. I swapped over to the Tango down aluminum stock release button early on: https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-fn-scar-aluminum-stock-latch/

It too is a bit stiff and I always press it in to latch the stock in the extended position because I don't want to stress or wear the plastic latch catch points.

At some point I plan to swap over to the Handl aluminum hinge as well so both the latch button and latch catch points are both aluminum: SCAR Stock Hinge | Handl Defense

Treat your Scar even close to "normal use" and you should never have an issue with the original FN plastic parts breaking. They are not weak and I am not aware of any civilians complaining of theirs breaking.

I did hear some internet hearsay a while back that there were some stocks that broke in combat or military use. If so, they may have been earlier versions broken during the abusive testing, evaluation and development phase, I don't know. Or, if the story is true, they could have been caused by unusually rough usage like using the stock to batter down doors or as cushions when diving for cover on rocky ground wearing armor plate, again I don't know. I do know that while the FN OEM plastic is certainly tough and resilient material and probably more than adequate for normal use, aluminum is still a much stronger material and should be able to withstand more abuse over a longer period of time than plastic.

I will warn you now that when aftermarket parts are discussed here, there is usually some controversy that comes with that discussion. Often that controversy involves one brand verses another or other brands.

This standard statement always applies, "You Scar will run fine right out of the box and does not require any aftermarket modifications to function properly."

With that said, I have spent well over spent over half the cost of a new Scar in aftermarket parts and accessories, not counting optics. Others have spent far more on aftermarket modifications than a new Scar costs. The point is there is an ever growing market of aftermarket Scar parts so you have many options to configure, change or upgrade your Scar pretty much any way you like. Do your research and carefully consider the reviews and/or complaints others have with any aftermarket parts you are considering.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
We haven't seen a report of a button or hinge breaking in years. Guess the ECP worked.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine's still stiff, but given its function I like it like that. No harder to push in than the 20th round in a mag! I rarely fold the stock though, otherwise it'd probably be a bit more workable.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I like that you have to purposefully fold or collapse the stock. If it were easy it'd be easy for Murphy to mess with.

I don't even use the folding stock feature. Where would you foresee having to use the folding stock in a hurry?

The collapsible stock is set in the one spot where it fits me, so I'm not changing that around either.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Work it a bit, it will loosen up over time.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't even use the folding stock feature. Where would you foresee having to use the folding stock in a hurry?

The collapsible stock is set in the one spot where it fits me, so I'm not changing that around either.
The folding stock was intended for ease of entry, transport and egress in armored and other military vehicles.

It works just as well to help fit your Scar in the trunk of a small car or behind the seat in a small truck or Jeep. And it gives you options to fit it into a suitcase for legally declared checked baggage air travel.

Would I trade all of that convenience for a better, faster to position, more consistent cheek weld? You bet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If anyone has a Handl stock hinge could you please chime in? I am looking to make that swap at some point too. What do you think of it? Pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If anyone has a Handl stock hinge could you please chime in? I am looking to make that swap at some point too. What do you think of it? Pros and cons?
Not needed. We haven't seen a report of a hinge failing in years and a brand new stock is 40 dollars less than that hinge.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You can always take it out and sand it down a bit to make it function smoother. The folding mechanism is actually pretty easy to take apart and put back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I kind of think of it all as the "FN Fitness Plan", between the buttons on the stock and the front sight lock/release. Though I haven't actually yet sat on the couch for hours doing reps. Yet.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I agree that there are no Scar 17 mods that are needed, there are only mods that are wanted.

peewee.jpg

But that's how I roll...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I agree that there are no Scar 17 mods that are needed, there are only mods that are wanted.

View attachment 38581

But that's how I roll...
Agreed. Its the gimmicky BS advertising, which is absolutely plaguing the SCAR aftermarket, that I can do without.

Reactions: mityno1
1 - 20 of 29 Posts