FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new SLP Mark 1 for an early xmas present. This is my first shotgun and I do have a few questiosns. Any help would be appreciated.

1. I shoot aat an indoor range and only allow slugs to be shot. I wanted to know which choke tube to run in my shotgun. I know it came with 2 different choke tubes, but which one should I use.

1.2 I'll be using my shotgun mostly for USPSA or IDPA matches. So what type of choke tube and slug ammo would work best?

2. I was told by a local gun shop that I need to use rifled slugs because my shotgun is a sooth bore. I don't know if this is a true statement, but would like some feedback on this as well.

3. What type of ammo (slugs) would you recommend to for indoor use?

Thanks in advance,

reddot

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
For slugs, use the largest choke tube, typically improved cylinder. As for the rifled slugs, if you want to hit anything, you have to use rifled slugs. Otherwise, the slugs will be going all over the place and you won't be able to hit a thing. This is from experience. As for your other questions, I can't help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I really didn't know what to do about the choke tubes.

What problems did you have if I may ask?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
With a smooth bore without rifled slugs, it's hard to hit a pizza box at 5 yards. They don't strike the same area consistently either. The rifling gets the slug to spin, stabalizing its flight path, which makes it predictable on where it will go. Without any sort of rifling, the slug is subjected to a lot of turbulance and can behave like a knuckleball in baseball. Knuckleballs don't have any (or minimal) spin on them and they move all over the place. Same thing happens with a slug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts