FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this article on TFB about a German company making REAL reproductions and trying to import them;

The firearm blog

Then I went to the company's website:

EL BE tac

WOW!

42.jpg 42a.jpg MP38.jpg

I would really LOVE to get authentic working reproductions in the original calibers.

There was another company that had .22LR repro's of the 38, but I had no interest in them. Now an authentic 9mm would be a different story! Hopefully there is enough interest for them to start producing the rest of these.

If they do, I can see myself having to raid the kid's college fund, the dog's retirement savings, and the wife's BINGO jar! :-D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
SMG, (Smith Manufacturing Group) makes a FG42 replica in Decatur, Texas. It does come with a hefty price tag at around $5,000. but considering they are produced in small numbers that is no surprise.

Here is a link to a really nice write-up on the AKforums a guy did who is putting together a coffee table book on the subject. This guy went all out into extreme detail of all parts. I thought it was pretty cool since I will probably never be able to field strip one. unless I can come up with the money for one some day.

The SMG FG42 In Detail

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Exact prices are not yet determined, but the MP-44 will likely be around the $5,000 mark
Fvck that.

I dig WW2 weapons but 5k for a modern semi-auto remake is ridiculous. I much rather have a De Lisle carbine; it's more authentic, more functional and practical, and effective even in modern firearm terms, best of all it's only 2.5k.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If I did not have kids, I would have one. The financial burden of three has put a stop to a lot of the frivolous things. I have to be much more selective in my purchases these days. My only issue with the STG 44 replica is I would want it in a more available round Than the 7.92 kurz. 7.62x39 would be a close, and largely available match.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SMG, (Smith Manufacturing Group) makes a FG42 replica in Decatur, Texas. It does come with a hefty price tag at around $5,000. but considering they are produced in small numbers that is no surprise.

Here is a link to a really nice write-up on the AKforums a guy did who is putting together a coffee table book on the subject. This guy went all out into extreme detail of all parts. I thought it was pretty cool since I will probably never be able to field strip one. unless I can come up with the money for one some day.

The SMG FG42 In Detail
I like the thought that went into this rifle. Two parts stand out for me. First it is not a stamped receiver like the original second pattern rifle. From all the reviews of the original 2nd pattern FG42's it seems like the receiver has a limited lifespan. For original models I prefer the 1st pattern FG42 with the milled receiver (I hate the look of the angled pistol grip though). So in terms of modern reproductions I think SMG did it right using a milled receiver on their 2nd pattern FG42 reproduction. The second part I like is that they offer it in 308, which makes ammo a lot more available than 8mm mauser. The big issue I have with SMG is that they are a small shop, and as a friend found out, they are not always the best to do business with. However, there are not a lot of options when it comes to original or reproduction FG42's, so you just have to deal with it.

As to other German rifles there still aren't a lot of reproduction offerings either. Some MP44 repros were brought into the US, but they had some US parts added that were not always up to standard. In any event those rifles are outrageous in price now too.

The only other person that I know is seriously working on any reproductions of the old German guns is here in AZ. It is my understanding that he builds guns that he wants in his collection. In order to justify all the machining, etc that goes into the projects he builds short runs to sell. Most of these guns are not cheap to own, but he does beautiful and exact work. He builds them in semi auto format and I think that is the only modifications to the designs.

I know he has a 1st pattern FG42 that he plans on finishing is a year or two or three (no exact date). But he has several parts for that gun completed. His website is GunLab You can see one of his Gerat's that he built on Forgotten Weapon's YouTube channel.

I have shot it and it is nice.
2.jpg 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Fvck that.

I dig WW2 weapons but 5k for a modern semi-auto remake is ridiculous. I much rather have a De Lisle carbine; it's more authentic, more functional and practical, and effective even in modern firearm terms, best of all it's only 2.5k.

Yes!!! I've been thinking about getting one of those since I saw his video a while ago. At first I was hesitant because of the NFA paperwork, but now that I"m already 3 deep I might as well go for it.

Reactions: Macprowler
1 - 12 of 12 Posts