FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a smaller carry gun. My current EDC is a Sig SP2022. Love it but carrying it gets old in the summer time. I've bought and sold a Shield and a CCP. Neither were right for me.

I checked out the 9c a few weeks ago and was able to rent it along with an XDs yesterday. Hated the XDs. Ended up liking the FNS 9c as much if not better than my Sig. Went back today and bought one.

Last night I had read some posts about mag release complaints. I didn't notice it with the rental gun but I checked it out with this one and it is awful. Like sometimes the button gets stuck and the mag won't release awful. Will this improve with use or am I stuck swapping it out with the full sized one?

I haven't shot it yet but I will be in a bit.

It fits the holsters I used with my Sig with slightly less retention. My belt fixes that and it will due until I get one specifically for the new one. After carrying it around a bit, I am very happy. I was concerned that 6oz wouldn't make much of a difference but it does. The inch or so off of the grip makes concealing SO much easier too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shot my new FNS 9 Compact yesterday for the first time. 220 flawless rounds, 20 of which were my carry ammo. Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +p.
Surprisingly my favorite magazine to shoot with was the 12rd flat base plate. Prior to shooting I thought I would prefer the one with the pinky extension.
Though I didn't have any problems with it, I changed my magazine release catch with the one Midwest Gun Works sells. It just made it easier to actuate.
My holster is a SHTFGear hybrid Gen 2. After trying many others with many other guns, it is my go to holster.
The FNS9c will be my new EDC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love mine. So does my daughter. So it may not be mine for much longer :)
I use 3 different holsters. One of which i also use the FNS9. That one is a 2 clip hybrid kydex. The 2 specifically made for the C are a leather single clip and Mini hybrid kydex.
If my daughter decides to relieve me of it i may get a FNS40C :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last night I had read some posts about mag release complaints. I didn't notice it with the rental gun but I checked it out with this one and it is awful. Like sometimes the button gets stuck and the mag won't release awful. Will this improve with use or am I stuck swapping it out with the full sized one?
You may have read my post about the FNS 9c mag release. To answer your question, yes, it will get better. I dry manipulated my gun for a couple of days and it finally started loosening up a bit (the slide lock too after I added a little frog lube on the polymer beneath the lock). That said, one of the magazines had a bad follower that made the problem worse. I called FN and they said I could send in the mag and they'll just send me a new one, but that they are out of them at the moment and sending it in now won't make it come any earlier (I guess they don't have first come, first serve policy). Instead of wasting my money on paying for shipping the mag (they won't reimburse that cost, but they will reimburse the shipment of a gun), I'm just going to buy a new follower or two for $3 plus shipping. I ended up replacing the mag release with a full-size one, and now it ejects better than my Glock 26 magazines. I have not had an inadvertent actuation either. I think the complaints about the FNS mag release were overblown, and I personally don't think they should have changed the design, but that's just my opinion after having it for a week. I've got to say, I LOVE this pistol. It's truly a quality do all pistol in my opinion. It combines the best of the Glock 19 and Glock 26 pistols, but that magazine floorplate on the flush mag makes the it a much more stable fighting pistol than either one in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts