FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up an FN503.
This weapon has not been fired yet.
Mainly I not going pay the price they are asking for ammo at this time so waiting for the prices to drop.
I am holding on to what already have.
When load the Magazine with FMJ the gun cycles fine.
But when I cycles hollow tips the slide hangs up unless you let the slide slam forward with full force.
The slide will almost go all the way forward it stop about a 1/4 inch short but you can very easily push slide forward the rest the way by hand.
I hope after the gun breaks in this issue will fix it self.
I took the gun back to the shop where bought it it cycled fine for them using FMJ rounds he said just go break in then should cycle fine after with Hollow points.
One more Question when the magazine is full and cycle the slide it will put one in the chamber but when drop the mag to add one more round a loose round will drop out magazine well at the same time when strips the the round going into the chamber it also strip the second round at same time.
Will this stop after this weapon is broke in.
None of my other weapons do this.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Possible sticky follower causing the last problem you listed? Does it do this with another mag?

·
Registered
339 Posts
You're supposed to let the slide slam forward. Don't worry, you won't hurt the gun's feelings by doing that. If the slide doesn't fully close after letting slam forward then you might have an issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have noticed the same behavior in my 503 but do not believe to be an issue. Found with FMJ practice ammo it does not like any walking or easing the slide forward. You have to let it slam. Works fine too when slide is locked back to change empty magazines and just let the slide release an allow it to move forward on its own. Only have approximately 150 rounds shot but a little slower at 6 or 8 at a time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I end up taking the action out the lower removed the sharp edges on the shear polished the corners edges polished the face where meets up with the firing pin most rubbing surfaces.
Removed the draw bar and the lifter that rides on top on the draw bar.
They are stamped parts one side you can feel has sharp edge on it removed the sharp edges polished the sharp corners and put back together.
To me feels a nicer trigger pull it nice before but hey I had nothing better to do.
Did little reshaping of the feed ramp rounded the lower portion so more polished the feed ramp now feeds hollow points with out hanging up any more.
Also polished whwre the take down pin goes thought the barrel lug just because

1 - 9 of 9 Posts