FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks,

This is my first post. After reading some of the postings I decided to purchase a PS90TR from a local dealer. (I'm new to weapons as well.) I know I didn't get the best price available via the web but I thought the local support important.

Some "first-timer" questions...I intend to take FN up on their "free sight" offer but all I've read here seems to point to an EoTech sight. Which model would you folks steer me to?

I also plan on adding a light on a side rail. The TR rails seem awlful short. Should I plan on getting any "extenders"? If so, which ones?

Also, which light and switch have people been pleased with? I've seen a number of the cool photo's that have been posted...just need some informed suggestions. (My local dealer really tried to steer me torwards a "pieced together AR15, but my thinking is a weapon that both my wife and I can shoot; one with little recoil and that has a matching pistol that is light weight and can carry a decent number of rounds..the FN Five-seveN.)

Your thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you need extended side mount accessory rails, consider these:
http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=3830

These 5 slot side rails for the PS90 TR were recently developed from feedback from TR owners here on the FNForum.net and will work with any configuration of Optics and Flashlights. Plus they are 25% off this month.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Eotech: I went w/the 512. Uses std/rechargeable AA batteries (like most of my other gear) and gets appx 1,100hrs of runtime on a set of lithiums. I find the circle/dot reticle to be faster on-target than a std dot (YMMV) and w/the PS90's sight height above bore the bottom of the reticle can be used for very close-in shots. There's even a solar charging mod for the 512 available which I'll post a review on as soon as I get them back.
Taclight: I like the Streamlight TLR-1/2 series. LED so no bulb to break or burn out. TLR-1 is beam only, TLR-2 also has a laser (if that's a consideration for you), both red & IR filters are available. Set up for longarm use you have both the tapeswitch for command activation and a rocker switch on the light itself for constant-on or as backup in case of tapeswitch failure. My only minor quibble w/the TLR series is that the tapeswitch takes a bit more pressure to activate than I'm used to but I suppose that can also be a good thing as it helps to prevent accidental activation.
HTH...
Tomac
PS- Give us a range report! Enquiring minds want to know!...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have the 511 EOtech - it is smaller. The rail on the PS90 isn't very long - it can't be. There isn't much room there.

Anyway - I think the 511 (N Battery version) looks better than the AA version. However, having the longer battery life of the AA version is a plus.

So, ya gotta decide which way ya wanna go.

The first set of batteries on my Eotech ony lasted like 20 hours (3 months), if that. However, it WAS the set already in the EOtech when I bought it. I've had my current set of batteries in since March, and they still work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unless you really have the need to use this weapon as the main home defense gun, I wouldn't bother spending extra money on it other than to get the flashlight and keep the free sight and use it.

I have Eotech 512 on one of my AR-15s and I like it just fine.

Only reason why I say that you should save your money is that you said you are new to gun collecting (trust me, this is what you will be) and you will be buying a lot more stuff soon.

I bought my first pistol at age 21 and 5 years later, I own almost 20 guns....and I don't even hunt (which I will be picking up next year along with Remington 700 and equally expensive scope).

I just bought the PS90 TR as well but I have been looking at it for a while and for the right price online. Save your money for ammo...I just bought a case (2000 rounds) and at almost $0.37 per round......I am not getting another Eotech for this gun.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Between all the accessories, 2100 rounds of ammo and all my mags and other crap for my PS90 - I probably have $3k sunk into the damn thing.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just don't keep a running total of how much you spend on your kids :?
It'll eventually kill ya, but they're worth it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Between all the accessories, 2100 rounds of ammo and all my mags and other crap for my PS90 - I probably have $3k sunk into the damn thing.
I'm such a nerd I actually keep an Excel spreadsheet that totals what I've spent on my PS90-TR so far. Here's what I've got:

FNH PS90-TR (Black)
EOTech 512 A65
Extended Side Rails
50-round mags (x4) & Brass Catcher
30-50 Round Magazine Conversion Plate

Notice that doesn't include ammo (yet). That's run me just over $2,055. I'm planning on making this a SBR and still need a light for it. I also think I'm gonna get the "factory" laser installed. It's turning out to be quite the money pit! :-D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stick with the free CMORE sight. It works great and is deadly accurate. I love mine. I also like the click switch better than the push buttons of the Eotech.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
FSCJedi said:
It's turning out to be quite the money pit! :-D
Ain't that the truth...

I've spent enough on mine already - that's why I am not short barreling mine. I don't have a huge income - and this gun is the most expensive one I have or will ever buy. I've spent enough on it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I don't have a huge income - and this gun is the most expensive one I have or will ever buy. I've spent enough on it.
We need to get you into long distance bullseye shooting. We'll really create a money pit. :lol:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
whitetiger7654 said:
ShipWreck said:
I don't have a huge income - and this gun is the most expensive one I have or will ever buy. I've spent enough on it.
We need to get you into long distance bullseye shooting. We'll really create a money pit. :lol:
I was thinking of an FN bolt action gun - until I heard the cost of 308 ammo. Hell no!

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
PS90
Applied for Short Barrel Rifle and approved!

Shown here in padded tactical bag that holds 3 mags and suppressor.

Weapon Includes:
Three rail system

Show in the photo:
Ultra Dot Pan-A-V Holographic sight (5 style reticule selection)
Streamlight TLR-2 Light/Laser Combo with Pressure switch

Blackhawk 2 point tactical sling, including a modification I made with a quick release snap. (sling not shown)

Short Barrel with Gemtech Bi-lock flash hider (For Gemtech Suppressor, paperwork in process pending approval)

The placement of the pressure switch is key...hence why I have prepared it for multiple locations for the switch. If my left handed buddy wants to shoot I can easily move the switch and preserve the ambidextrous nature of the weapon.

My objective was to have it as light as possible...hence the choice in a lighter holographic and a combination light-laser. I am very happy with both. The other holographic sights are much more rugged and well built. I would consider them as a purchase if you find that your rifle will see some adversity or if your environment and handling is rough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts