FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the community of 17S owners having just acquired mine last month. I have
been slowly changing or adding components to modify the SCAR17 to suit me personally
or to address my area's of personal weakness (eyesight).

I've installed the Geissele Super Scar to address the somewhat disappointing original trigger.
I've added a Grip pod to allow me a more stable platform when prone for those longer shots.

A.) I was wondering if any of you fellow 17S operators have replaced the PWS muzzle brake
with a Lantac Dragon and if you did, was there a further noticeable decrease in recoil and
muzzle rise allowing you a quicker target re-acquisition for the second shot.

B.) I'm trying to decide on what kind of optic I want to place on top of the SCAR.
It's been a personal learning experience, and I have learned that EOTech Holographic sights
are extremely quick in target acquisition, are great for 1 yd to 50 yd. engagements, but the
lack of magnification on targets over 100 yds leaves a void for me. I have tried the flip into
view magnification but was not that pleased with the cumbersome operation and the weight
of the original 3.5X zeiss manufactured optic.

I've also tried ACOG's with RMR's and have been just pleased as plum on the quickness of
target acquisition, brightness of sight picture and easy, simple range hold-overs for positive
hits out to 400 yds. Our instructors had us engaging targets out to that range and I was
able to successfully hit them, but I noted that the 4X ACOG was getting to it's limit and for me
I would need higher magnification to successfully engage targets to the 600 and 800 yd.
distances.

I've had ten years of experience varmint hunting using a single shot modified benchrest rifle
with a scope having up to 24 X so I had the capability to dial up in magnification and get up
and personal with the prairie dog targets and have come to appreciate having the magnify-
cation available to me.

So I've come to the conclusion that I want more than 6 X magnification but am also trying
to keep the total weight of the SCAR down. I want to avoid huge, heavy scopes on top of
my SCAR because I just do not enjoy lugging all that weight around in the desert. I've come
across 2 scopes made by Leopold; Mark6 3X18 and Mark8 1.1X8 both weighing about 23 oz.
and less then 12'' long. Does anyone out there have any experience on either of those scopes
and/or be willing to make a logical and thoughtful suggestion.

Scott

·
Registered
629 Posts
A) Personally I have not tried it and honestly the brake it comes with is pretty good so whatever the Lantac brings is probably marginal.
B) Man, this one is such a personal preference. The poll here had a lot of other options as far as optics and a good discussion on them. Also if you search here there might be a lot more threads on the optics you mentioned. It sounds like you want magnification so I would go with 3-18.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I have the 3-18 illuminated TMR. It will give you every advantage to shoot 600 yards. It's built like a tank and you'd be hard pressed to find clearer glass. If that sounds like it's up your alley then go for it. Welcome.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the Scar family!

I have experience with both the Leupold Mk6 1-6x and 3-18x. The 1-6x is a great scope but I wanted more magnification at further distances above 450 yards so I upgraded to the 3-18x. They both feature great glass and are extremely well built and Leupold is top notch. What I am suggesting is if you have the opportunity to go with the higher magnification, I would do so. I am not however saying bad about the premier Mk8.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the Scar family!

I have experience with both the Leupold Mk6 1-6x and 3-18x. The 1-6x is a great scope but I wanted more magnification at further distances above 450 yards so I upgraded to the 3-18x. They both feature great glass and are extremely well built and Leupold is top notch. What I am suggesting is if you have the opportunity to go with the higher magnification, I would do so. I am not however saying bad about the premier Mk8.
I was in the same situation as I started out with the MK 6 1-6X20. Just not enough magnification for me so I went to the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP 3.5-21X50 G2DMR. The additional weight was not a problem for me because the SCAR is so light to begin with. But except for the price the Mk 6 3-18X is the one I would go with rather than the Mk 6 1-6X. Both the Mk 6 1-6X and 3-18X have great glass.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I stuck with low magnification scope as my targets of interest will be < 600 yards 90% of the time. of which 80% is <300 yards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have both the Leupold MK6 3-18 Tremor2 reticle and MK8 1-8 CTMR reticle. Both are top notch and will get you beyond 800. Honestly, if had to pick one I would go with the 3-18. It's way more versatile and you can run offset irons or RDS to take care of close up targets if need be. Either is a great choice.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Kam, I have heard some complaints about ability to focus at all with the 3-18 Mk6 up close (e.g. less than 150 yards). What has your experience been? How many rounds do you have through it (given some complaints about the SCAR beating up optics)? Thanks man.

Let me add one other question: given that this is an FFP scope, how clear is he reticle image at low power?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The need for 1x is for shots ≤ 100yds where speed is more important than precision. If you'll be making shots within that distance with an emphasis on speed, then you want an optic with that capability. I chose not to go that route since the SCAR's performance envelope is much wider.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Kam, I have heard some complaints about ability to focus at all with the 3-18 Mk6 up close (e.g. less than 150 yards). What has your experience been? How many rounds do you have through it (given some complaints about the SCAR beating up optics)? Thanks man.

Let me add one other question: given that this is an FFP scope, how clear is he reticle image at low power?
I don't have a problem focusing at 100 yards. I have about 600 rounds through my 17 with that optic attached. The reticle is still easy to pick up at 3X magnification (illumination helps but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary). That being said if I want to make quick shots I just use my offset RMR. I had a thread with the Mk6's reticle pics floating around here somewhere. I have yet to find a dissatisfied MK6 3-18 owner other than folks who chose a reticle they didn't like or wanted illumination and initially chose the non illuminated version. I am sure they are out there but my point is that end users tend to be quite satisfied with this optic.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice scope pictures!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have both the Leupold MK6 3-18 Tremor2 reticle and MK8 1-8 CTMR reticle. Both are top notch and will get you beyond 800. Honestly, if had to pick one I would go with the 3-18. It's way more versatile and you can run offset irons or RDS to take care of close up targets if need be. Either is a great choice.
Thank you so much Chewbacca for your take as you own both the Mark6 3X18 and the Mark8 1.1X8 that I'm looking at and 00stormbringer for including the shots @ 8X and 18X taken through your Mark6 3X18 TMR as that is also a reticle that I'm interested in. I flew up to Portland OR. and rented a car and drove to the Leopold factory in Beaverton, OR. Having spoken to them earlier they graciously had OK'd me visiting their facilities. I was given a little tour along with showing me a number of reticles. Presently it's down to a Mark6 3x18 illuminated TMR or a Mark8 1.1X8 with a daylight illuminated H27-D. The interesting thing about the Mark8 1.1X8 is that with the daylight illuminated reticle on, it nearly simulates a red dot or eotech type image that would be quite useful in CQB situtations while the 3 X 18 would require a Trijicon RMR on top of the main tube to effect the same, much like an RMR mounted on top of an ACOG. If Leupold would add either an daylight illuminated H27-D or 7.62 CMR-W-D to the Mark6 3X18 line that would solve all my obstacles.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Lantac Dragon installed on my 16S so it is not exactly the same as running it on a .308 but I can at least tell you the difference in how it runs vs the original brake and that should carry over to the .308 platform as well.

Night and day difference! The Lantac shoots virtually flat with tiny recoil. The rifle basically vibrates in place. No felt concussion by the shooter. I then had someone else shoot it side by side with my ar15 that has a flash hider. I stood 3 steps back and two to the side. Very small difference in concussion between the two.

I'm glad I upgraded mine and when I get a .308 I'm putting a Lantac on that one too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My suggestion is do what I did...... buy both! :smile:

SCAR in the Pelican case.jpg
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the community of 17S owners having just acquired mine last month. I have
been slowly changing or adding components to modify the SCAR17 to suit me personally
or to address my area's of personal weakness (eyesight).

I've installed the Geissele Super Scar to address the somewhat disappointing original trigger.
I've added a Grip pod to allow me a more stable platform when prone for those longer shots.

A.) I was wondering if any of you fellow 17S operators have replaced the PWS muzzle brake
with a Lantac Dragon and if you did, was there a further noticeable decrease in recoil and
muzzle rise allowing you a quicker target re-acquisition for the second shot.

B.) I'm trying to decide on what kind of optic I want to place on top of the SCAR.
It's been a personal learning experience, and I have learned that EOTech Holographic sights
are extremely quick in target acquisition, are great for 1 yd to 50 yd. engagements, but the
lack of magnification on targets over 100 yds leaves a void for me. I have tried the flip into
view magnification but was not that pleased with the cumbersome operation and the weight
of the original 3.5X zeiss manufactured optic.

I've also tried ACOG's with RMR's and have been just pleased as plum on the quickness of
target acquisition, brightness of sight picture and easy, simple range hold-overs for positive
hits out to 400 yds. Our instructors had us engaging targets out to that range and I was
able to successfully hit them, but I noted that the 4X ACOG was getting to it's limit and for me
I would need higher magnification to successfully engage targets to the 600 and 800 yd.
distances.

I've had ten years of experience varmint hunting using a single shot modified benchrest rifle
with a scope having up to 24 X so I had the capability to dial up in magnification and get up
and personal with the prairie dog targets and have come to appreciate having the magnify-
cation available to me.

So I've come to the conclusion that I want more than 6 X magnification but am also trying
to keep the total weight of the SCAR down. I want to avoid huge, heavy scopes on top of
my SCAR because I just do not enjoy lugging all that weight around in the desert. I've come
across 2 scopes made by Leopold; Mark6 3X18 and Mark8 1.1X8 both weighing about 23 oz.
and less then 12'' long. Does anyone out there have any experience on either of those scopes
and/or be willing to make a logical and thoughtful suggestion.

Scott

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was an easy choice for me to go with the CQBSS with Horus reticle since mine will be a 13" CQC Scar 17! Hardest decision I had was going with that or the Elcan 1-3-9x.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts