FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to the PS90 with lots of mod questions

13K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Thermallator 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up an FN PS90 and although I love it, it has a few problems. In no particular order it is: Too long, too loud, and too slow. :wink:

I am an 07/SOT and I am looking for all the information I can get to return this piece of equipment to looking and performing the way it was intended to.

Where can an FN PS90 newbie start?

Thanks in advance. This is a very nice site.

#3 ·
I guess my first post shouldn't have been such an unobvious attempt at light humor. :D

You see I am very happy with the rifle and agree with your evaluation as well. But, as a Title II Manufacturer I want to swap out to a shorter barrel, threaded 1/2x28 for a sound suppressor, while converting it to a post 86 Dealer Sample machine gun. (hence the too long, too loud and too slow comment) :p

I am looking for some direction for parts, accessories, ammo, and anything 5.7. I love the platform and since I am totally new to this system I thought I would come here to start what may be a new addiction.

Sorry for the confusion. :cool:

#4 ·
Didn't know you were kidding...

CMMG sells the shorter, 10" barrels to make it like the P90.

Not sure how successful you will be converting that to full auto, however. To my knowledge, it can't be done legally. Also, converting the PS90 to full auto is not an allowed topic here - so no one can tell you how to physically do it. You'll also find that sort of thing stopped at any other internet forum as well.

But, there is an NFA section here that may give you some assistance in doing the barrel conversion. Also, the folks at CMMG will help you too, if you give them a call.

#9 ·
Jeff Z said:
I am a Title II Mfg. Meaning that I can make post 86 dealer sample machine guns. It is what I do for a living. Nothing even remotely "grey" here. Everything completely above board.
Ok. Well, even so - converting the PS90 to full auto isn't something we want step by step instructions on here on the site. So, no one can help you with that one. It would probably be easier to just buy a P90, as stated above.

But the short barreling would be easy enough.

#10 ·
Yes that is an option but not always the most desirable depending on the specific situation. To deal in Title II firearms (buy. Sell. Trade) all you need is a Class 3 license. An 07 with a paid SOT is for actually manufacturing as well as all of the above. In my case, typically for R&D and T&E

#11 ·
Ok. Well, even so - converting the PS90 to full auto isn't something we want step by step instructions on here on the site. So, no one can help you with that one. It would probably be easier to just buy a P90, as stated above.......
Look,

Let's slow down. I obviously picked the wrong place to try and get any technical information. I came in here asking some legal, legitimate questions relating to my business and the firearm this site is supposed to specialize in. The forum I posted on is the "P90S Mods" topic so I certainly thought this would qualify. My bad evidently.

I have been in this business for over 20 years and am not a newbie, Internet commando, looking for step-by-step conversion instructions to do something sneaky that I am not supposed to do. Not even close. All I came here for was some nice conversation about a firearm system I just picked up and thought this would be a source for some technical info, parts sourcing, pricing information, previous trials and recommendations by other Class II's, etc. I didn't think it was a place I would get everyone's hackles raised up over working with the system in a lawful and legitimate capacity. In my first post I even posted that I was an 07/SOT so it would be clear I was on the up-and-up.

Please accept my apology for creating any misconceptions and adding to any confusion. I don't need any "step-by-step instructions" and wouldn't think it would be the subject of conversation for a general forum anyway. I'll be on my way now. Sorry for all the excitement.

Jeff Z

#12 ·
I'm sorry that you were offended. You have to realize - as an admin here, we are constantly dealing with people posting here, asking how to make certain weapons full auto, asking about how to bump fire, use the "rubber band" trick, etc.

We get the entire gambit. And, I am trying to keep that from happening again.

The forum rules specifically mention no discussion of conversion of semi autos to full autos. You will find this is the rule on ANY legitimate forum. I've seen similar conversations locked on the Five Seven Forum, AR15.co, Glocktalk, and many other sites. We CAN'T have detailed instructions talked about.

I tried giving you the heads up on that, with the understanding that short barreling and other mods are okay to discuss here.

Anyway, we'd like to have you here as a member as long as that topic isn't discussed.

Thanx...

#14 ·
I came in here asking some legal, legitimate questions relating to my business and the firearm this site is supposed to specialize in.

I have been in this business for over 20 years and am not a newbie, Internet commando, looking for step-by-step conversion instructions to do something sneaky that I am not supposed to do. Jeff Z
Jeff, I mean .. I'm no scholar here, but if you have over 20 years of experience as you claim, you should not need advice on:

1. How to manufacture a machine gun
2. Where to get the parts to manufacture a machine gun

FYI: THIS SITE DOES NOT SPECIALIZE IN FULL AUTO CONVERSIONS !!!! and no one ever said it did. If you are trying to riase ire, may I suggest the "other" forum.

Your post would make one think that you are either extremely naive, trolling for trouble or ATF. It's like walking to a bank and asking them if they know where the nearest gun store is.

-TH

#15 ·
Props to the mods.

An unmoderated message site is the internet equivalent of the wall in a truckstop bathroom stall.

This site has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful for me in my purchase of a PS90, and the members here have allowed me to wander in and ask a LOT of stupid newbie questions. I read this post and I can't discern what it is you really want.

Might I suggest:

1. Read the rules
2. Be specific about what you want
3. Be courteous

The members and vendors here will help you if your needs are legit. Considering the nature of what we're talking about, I don't think it's a good idea to ask vague questions. Too much responsibility involved.

#16 ·
Wow, I know I am new here but you guys seem a little harsh. You will talk about SBR and suppressors, but full auto is a no no. There are legitimate dealers that ask legitimate questions. I think all Jeff Z was asking was for some information on parts and possibly a referral. I would be surprised if he ever posted here again. By the way he is an editor for Small Arms Review Magazine. I doubt any of you are familiar with that publication.

Sorry for the rant, but I signed up to ask about a Grenade launcher for the F2000. After I see Jeff Z's treatment I am not going to ask.
Bob

G
#17 ·
I think that for his very first post, given the nature of what he wanted, what else could anyone think. On many forums, we see the guys who want to convert semi guns to full autos. I think everyone was nice to him: as nice as can be. Help was offered, but it was explained that conversions of the PS90 is not an open topic here.

Nothing wrong with that. It's even in the forum rules. So, what else can be said.

#19 ·
Wow, I know I am new here but you guys seem a little harsh. You will talk about SBR and suppressors, but full auto is a no no. There are legitimate dealers that ask legitimate questions. I think all Jeff Z was asking was for some information on parts and possibly a referral. I would be surprised if he ever posted here again. By the way he is an editor for Small Arms Review Magazine. I doubt any of you are familiar with that publication.

Sorry for the rant, but I signed up to ask about a Grenade launcher for the F2000. After I see Jeff Z's treatment I am not going to ask.
Bob
the reason being sbr`s and suppressors are legally obtainable by private citizens, how ever post 86`s full auto`s are not. Having said that we dont want are site to look like some loop hole or gray area site for obtaining any illegal information (not like there is any). I think that just about sums it up

#21 ·
One more time

One more time guys and gals. When I said I was sorry for raising everyone's hackles I meant it. Nothing rude and no being smart, just a simple apology. Really

I made a few statements that keep getting glossed over and they are "a little" important. In my first post I made mention that I was an 07/SOT (Title II Mfg.) so it wouldn't be taken as an illegal solicitation. I never asked for detailed or "step by step" conversion information as has been insinuated here a few times. I even said that I didn't think an open forum was really the place for that, but it seems to keep getting glossed over while people point fingers and make accusations. If you actually read what I said, it can be summed up like this:

"Hello. Nice site. I bought my first FNPS90 and like it. I am going to legally modify it and am looking to get together with some other folks who have done the same thing so I can gain a better knowledge of the system. I would like to be pointed in the right direction and to learn from others experiences."

Like I said the last time I apologized, this is what I do for a living. I have been told here "it is not legal to make machine guns" and that I "should just buy one." I even tried to educate some of the finger pointing posters a little about Class III law. No condescending or impolite tone intended. Just sharing information.

Anyway, I guess that this place just isn't for me. The people I typically deal with in the firearms industry are well versed in this field and usually a little more friendly than those I have "met" here. I was only excited about learning more about this system new to me, and mistakenly thought this would be a place to engage other enthusiasts. Since I have been told it is not proper etiquette to engage in conversation and share information about Title II firearms, and that is precisely the field I work in, I'll just take that as a polite hint to move along. Sorry again for creating such a stir.

To all of you who have private messaged me, thanks for your intelligence, understanding, information and support. I absolutely appreciate it.

#22 ·
Perhaps Jeff Z should have properly introduced himself prior to asking the legitimate questions in the manner that he did. This would have avoided any confusion as to intent and legalities.

Besides holding a Type 7 (Manufacturing) FFL with a SOT (Title II Tax), Jeff Zimba is the production Manager & Art Director for Small Arms Review Magazine.

And just for information purposes, it has only been in recent years that it has been considered taboo to discuss operation of fully automatic weapons although no laws exist that infringe upon such information or discussion of such activities. Such exchanges of information are protected by the 1st Amendment. I fully understand the reasons such information should be safeguarded these days. However, at this time in the USA, one can still legally own machine guns, grenades, suppressors and even a howitzer if they are willing and qualified to apply for and receive the proper Licenses and pay the appropriate taxes just as Mr. Zimba has done. What Jeff was asking about can be done 100% legally. As for suggesting he buy a P90, he can do that, providing he can obtain a Law Enforcement Demo letter, which can be difficult to do at times. BUT it's much easier with the type FFL Jeff has, to convert his own PS90, if he can gain the knowledge he seeks, and he can convert it without asking for prior BATFE permission BECAUSE he has the appropriate license to do so. He notifies the Govt after he makes a machine gun, under the authority of his license, and then has it added into the NFA Registry as a dealer sample(non-transferable). If anyone here ever has questions about Title II firearms (machine guns, suppressor, grenade launchers, cannons, etc) feel free to email or PM me. I've been involved with such all of my life and know the legal issues inside and out.
Also just to clear up any confusion a "Class III" is a type of dealer license issued by BATFE to deal in what is known as Title II firearms.
Hope this helps clear up some of the misconceptions.

#23 ·
No one wants anyone here to feel unwelcome. I do care about the appearance we give here at the forum, especially to legitimate members. If I didn't, I wouldn't keep responding to this thread...

As CT just hinted at, I don't know if all the topics covered by Jeff Z was something to be thrown into the very first message. I don't think many members here realize the various issues admins have to deal with here. We get some "interesting" stuff being posted sometimes. When this type of stuff comes up on someone's very first post, it warrants attention even more sometimes.

And, when something is way out of whack, we typically delete the message and deal with the person accordingly. We believe in free speech, but we all know the sort I am referring to.

Anyway, my point is that the remnants of such people are usually not left around. So, the number of these incidents are not always apparent, as things are often dealt with behind the scenes.

I'm not calling Jeff Z a troublemaker - don't misunderstand. Far from it!! However, every forum I am a member of shies away from any "conversion" topics, typically. And, rule #4 in the Forum Rules specifically deals with this issue.

One thing I like is that this forum is policed by its own members. Before I even notice certain posts, I get a PM from a member, or two, or more... They know the topics that shouldn't be discussed. And, quite often, they are more cautious than I would be.

I get requests from members here a lot, when such a topic comes up - they want me to end that line of topic, or to at least try to let the person know that a certain topic is getting in the gray area...

There is a lot of concern on the part of PS90 owners here that the ATF could change their mind about allowing the weapon to be in civilian hands. So, questions about messing with the trigger packs, or about some of the issues I mentioned above in my previous responses on this thread draw the attention of many of the regulars here.

It was notification by several members here that made me come check this thread out to begin with. I am sorry that someone is upset. Maybe the wording of many posts here (by various posters, myself included possibly) could have been better. I did prev state that as long as that topic was not discussed, however, we welcomed you here, and could help you with your other questions. I think that was a fair response on my part.

Jeff Z is welcome to remain a part of this forum, and I'd like to see his participation. I don't like it when a legitimate member gets upset at the forum, if its something I can control.

#24 ·
If we find that discussion of Title II firearms is something looked upon with caution and avoided like the plague, then we are acting exactly how the anti-gun media and certain Government agencies want us too. There are many Govt & Defense agencies that rely upon people like Jeff Z and myself to be innovative and to produce the latest and greatest implements related to Ordnance & Small Arms. It is not always the big companies like FN or General Dynamics that develop the items that get produced for our military forces.
I personally put in a call to Jeff Z to explain the situation here and asked for his understanding in how we do things on this forum. I also provided him with the information he initially sought. You would have to know Jeff Z and his background to understand his approach, he normally frequents boards that cater to the Title II community, so hence his approach as being "awkward" here.
I'd like to welcome Jeff Z here with open arms. He would make a VERY valuable asset to this board and his insight into the firearms industry is second to none.

G
#25 ·
Jeff Z sounds like a great guy, and I hope he comes back.

But, all of this could have been avoidded if he had just read the forum rules. Plain and simple.

And as far as I know, I have never seen anyone commercially converting the PS90 to full auto. With FN being so guarded on the damn parts, I am not sure he will be able to do it anyway.

#26 ·
CriticalDimensions said:
If we find that discussion of Title II firearms is something looked upon with caution and avoided like the plague, then we are acting exactly how the anti-gun media and certain Government agencies want us too.
There is an NFA section on the site - so talking about such items here is usually okay. It's the topic of the CONVERSION of semi-autos to fully autos that we prefer to keep off the site. I could get into all sorts of hypothetical scenarios, but we all get the idea.

Anyway, other than that, other aspects of Class III (or II - whichever you prefer to call it) IS allowed on the site.

Hopefuly we can put this whole thing behind us soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.