FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
CONGRATS! (I fixed the link so the pic shows up in the message).

What kinda rail and fake suppressor setup is that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting setup.
Can you give details on how the Troy is attached to the gun?
Also, if the original flash hider is threaded on the sleeve and the barrel is threaded into the flash hider and pined.... how is the Noveske Flash hider attached?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m intrigued.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hmmm... How is that flash hider attached? Did they replace the stock flash hider?

Edited to add:

OK, FiveO said the barrel was fitted with a 1/2 28 thread adapter on the end. I wish there were more detail on how that was done.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
FiveO said:
Special Arms in NY did the work
WWW.SPECIALARMS.NET

The barrel was fitted with a AR15 barrel nut and a 1/2 28 thread adapter on the end the noveske was screwed on and plug welded.
It does not look like (from the picture) the barrel can actually move inside the receiver - because the forearm is butted tight against the front of the receiver. This will inevitably cause your receiver to crack.

-TH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thermallator said:
FiveO said:
Special Arms in NY did the work

The barrel was fitted with a AR15 barrel nut and a 1/2 28 thread adapter on the end the noveske was screwed on and plug welded.
It does not look like (from the picture) the barrel can actually move inside the receiver - because the forearm is butted tight against the front of the receiver. This will inevitably cause your receiver to crack.

-TH
Why would the receiver crack if the barrel is tight?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I assume he is saying that because if U look at slow motion video of the gun firing, the barrel moves. If it isn't allowed to move because it is held tight, then I guess that is why he is saying that.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Well, I assume he is saying that because if U look at slow motion video of the gun firing, the barrel moves. If it isn't allowed to move because it is held tight, then I guess that is why he is saying that.
Precicely!

One thing to note here. The reason PS90 does not fire out of battery or explode is the fact that the barrel moves rearward with the bolt(breech block) call it what you will.

This sequence is timed precisely. There is no locking mechanism like the rollers on the MP5 or the cams on the M16 bolt, hence something has to hold the barrel and the bolt long enough for the gas pressure to reach safe levels.

This is accomplished by the rearward movement of the barrel inside the receiver. If you push on the barrel, you will notice that it moves into the receiver. There is a spring behind the barrel sleve that pushes it back.

If you mount anything on the barrel that restricts this movement, you will

1. Aid in the abrasion of the inside of the receiver which will diminsh accuracy and inevitably make the gun unsafe to shoot.

2. Possibly prevent the barrel from recoiling inside the receiver thus causing a lot of pressure to vent into the breech, fouling the gun and causing a pressure buildup that may crack the receiver at the chamber end.

Therefore, I would not mount any gismos on the barrel, sans a real can - and that should be used sparingly. Can will not crack the reciever, but it will definitely put downward pressure on the barrel which will cause it not to float inside the receiver and gouge the nice round holes in the receiver into ovals over a period of time.

Cheers,

-TH

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would love to see this set up(AR-15 barrel nut attached) with a Yankee Hill Machinery 4 inch free float rail and a GemTech fake suppressor. It would look really sweet!
(the one at the top is 4" 2nd is 7")

1 - 19 of 19 Posts