·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice! They look like fun!
Killed a black bear with an opensighted lever action .444 Marlin a few years back.
He didn't go very far.
When I took it to the range it was just fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are my "Open Range" guns for that HUGE :-D 8 acre ranch we bought near San Antonio. The rifle is a "Texas Brush Popper" how could I resist? I never had the urge to pop a brush, but if I ever do, I will be prepared!

Truthfully though... I like keeping the ammo selection as small as possible and I already have a couple of 38spl pistols, and these will shoot 357 or 38. That's the practical side of it... the other part is that I've just always wanted a matching pistol/carbine combo and I don't have another lever gun. I think these will be fun for taking something a little different to range once in a while.

I think I'll get a good leather holster that ties around my thigh... I'll swager around town saying "Howdy Pilgrim" in my best John Wayne impression.

·
Banned
151 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
"ShipWreck"U think this is the wild west or somethin'
Lets see dont you live in Texas. You should have a few hoglegs and smoke wagons yourself. Thought that was a law in Texas.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
vulcan15 said:
"ShipWreck"U think this is the wild west or somethin'
Lets see dont you live in Texas. You should have a few hoglegs and smoke wagons yourself. Thought that was a law in Texas.
I'm not a native Texan. Sorry...

I'll stick with my PS90 and fight the gould :x

·
Registered
156 Posts
Those are my "Open Range" guns for that HUGE :-D 8 acre ranch we bought near San Antonio. The rifle is a "Texas Brush Popper" how could I resist? I never had the urge to pop a brush, but if I ever do, I will be prepared!

Truthfully though... I like keeping the ammo selection as small as possible and I already have a couple of 38spl pistols, and these will shoot 357 or 38. That's the practical side of it... the other part is that I've just always wanted a matching pistol/carbine combo and I don't have another lever gun. I think these will be fun for taking something a little different to range once in a while.

I think I'll get a good leather holster that ties around my thigh... I'll swager around town saying "Howdy Pilgrim" in my best John Wayne impression.
You have to watch out for them bushes, they sneak up on ya.

Nice shootin' arms.

·
Banned
151 Posts
"Texas Armadillo"

Well heres a shot of the rigs I have for mine. I may be a southoner now but I grew up on a ranch outside Wilcox Arizona and will always have the west in my heart. And John Wayne never used a tie down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice TA - now you have to come up with your SASS "cowboy name".

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And John Wayne never used a tie down.
I thank yer right 'bout dat Pard. *spit* Thank ye fo tha correction!

Nice TA - now you have to come up with your SASS "cowboy name".
I wonder if "GreenHorn" is taken... :oops: Have you seen those folks shoot?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rooster Cogburn says fill your hands you sons-a-bitches. :-x

Something about old west guns just getcha going! :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well heres a shot of the rigs I have for mine. I may be a southoner now but I grew up on a ranch outside Wilcox Arizona and will always have the west in my heart. And John Wayne never used a tie down.
Very nice. I have been over on this page looking around. So many choices... :cool:
http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/m_western.htm

·
Banned
151 Posts
TA, just make sure you get a rig thats comfortable cause it may take all day to ride around that big spead of yours.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't think about that! Thanx.

Since I don't have a horse I guess I'll have to ride around on the riding lawnmower to "Ride Fence". :p I'm gonna need some boots and a hat...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright... dumb question time. How do I keep the Base Pin Screw tight? How far in is the Base Pin supposed to be? If I push the Base Pin all the way in with the hammer cocked, it keeps the hammer from falling all the way... if I only push the Base Pin in far enough to support the cylinder but not reach the hammer... the base pin screw won't stay tight... I'm Toopid. What's the trick?

·
Banned
151 Posts
" TA"Alright... dumb question time. How do I keep the Base Pin Screw tight? How far in is the Base Pin supposed to be? If I push the Base Pin all the way in with the hammer cocked, it keeps the hammer from falling all the way... if I only push the Base Pin in far enough to support the cylinder but not reach the hammer... the base pin screw won't stay tight... I'm Toopid. What's the trick?
The base pin should have two notches one to lock all the way back(Uberti's way to have a hammer block so they can import) and a second notch to lock it fowrard for shootin. If you keep the hammer down when you slide in the pin in you can usually fine the right notch. And no your not Toopid cause it took me awhile to figure it out on one of mine. Each replica has a different way to block the hammer. Some have a screw in the hammer to tighten down to keep the firing pin back.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx, that makes sense. :?

I have a knurled head base pin screw that angles up into the base pin grooves to keep the base pin in place. Since it has a knurled head... it must be meant to be finger tight... but I'll wager my next paycheck it will work loose dang quick. Keep in mind my base pin is fine... it's the screw securing it that I'm worried about.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-64565393.html

"I have lost base pins from Colts, Rugers and Great Westerns. In addition, single-actions are often somewhat loose if the cylinder pin is undersize. Belt Mountain addresses these difficulties by offering replacement base pins in several types, all of which are .002" oversize for a tight fit of cylinder-to-frame.

Both blued and stainless versions are offered with an Allen screw in the head of the pin that can be tightened against the bottom of the barrel to prevent movement under recoil. The latter comes with a standard size head or an easier-to-remove knurled head."

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Brush Popper shipped Friday from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. I should have it tomorrow. I'll take pics next weekend I hope. (weather allowing)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts