FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hankering for a short AR (in Canada they're categorized the same as handguns and relatively easy to get) and after owning a few good but sort of generic ones I wanted something a little different. I was perusing one of my preferred dealer’s website a couple of weeks ago late at night after having a few drinks (always risky!) and here's the result. The lower is from Primary Weapons System--they're primarily known for their piston-based rifles, but as the foundation of a DI rifle it works well, too. The anti-tilt feature of the buffer tube is a little superfluous of course, but it does have stylin' grooves. It doesn't have a castle nut, but instead uses some other type of dealy with QD sling swivels machined in. It also came with an ALG trigger—I'd not heard of them before but it's a nice trigger. It's similar in feel to a normal factory trigger, but a bit lighter and a lot smoother.

The 9" barreled VLTOR upper is interesting. It has VLTOR's CASV aluminum handguard which has no rails—you can add sections as you need them. I usually don't use anything other than a red-dot sight so I'm OK with it as is (although it does make the rifle a little muzzle heavy). It's got a neat flip-up sight that sits flush with the rail when folded—I know fixed A2 front sights are stronger but I don't like how they force a high optic mount. Speaking of the rail—it's raised a bit allowing the use of lower optic mounts. The Trijicon RMR I had on my FS2000 fits very well...looks like I'll need a replacement for the FS2000! The gas system is neat—it uses VLTOR's Forward Offset Gas (FOG) system. I knew nothing about this but found a post online from the VLTOR guy who developed this. The gas tube goes nearly all the way to the end of the barrel to reduce port pressure, and there is an expansion chamber flash hider affixed to the muzzle to provide dwell time. It'll be interesting to see how the muzzle blast feels and sounds.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updating with a quick video comparing this with my FS2000...surprisingly, the little AR was a bit less snappy with the recoil, and also a bit less noisy with muzzle blast. VLTOR must've done something right with their flash hider!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts