FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX.
  1. Check the contents of the storage case (P.3).
  2. Read the owner’s manual….
  3. Initial Cleaning of Pistol (P.15, 31-37).
  4. Mark magazines in order to tell them apart.
  5. Pull slide back & lock, leave open for one week or Rack the slide.
  6. Load magazines for one week.
  7. Buy quality ammo (+P optional). *
  8. Many people recommend a 400-500 round break-in. **
  9. Clean and lubricate pistol after each use with quality products. ***
  10. Keep a round count.
  11. Clean magazines based on use, quality of ammo, conditions (dirt, sand, etc).
  12. Enjoy…. Oh, I almost forgot don’t fire the pistol like in the movies. ****

*FNX-9 People have reported problems with 115gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 124gr-158gr. Yes, 158gr does exist but is very hard to find. FNX-40 bullet weight is not an issue (NO 40S&W +P). FNX-45,45T People have reported problems with 185gr-200gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 230GR and/or 45 ACP +P.

** The 400-500 round break-in period is based on FNX forum experience.

*** Over/Under lubrication can cause function problems (FTE, FTF, etc). A pistol that is not properly maintained will also malfunction.

**** This is a safety issue reported at ranges and turning your pistol to the side will eject the cartridges at your face/head. Limp-wristing the pistol may cause function problems (reported in the forum) and can do the same thing.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Range Report for the FNX-9 SS Break-In First Range Session

Ammunition: Speer Lawman Clean Fire 147 GR TMJ CF #53826
Specs: 985 fps and 317 ft-lbs.

Cleaning products used on pistol: Tetra grease used on wear-points, M-Pro 7 LPX gun oil in barrel and on other gun parts. I removed the factory lubrication with Remington solvent.

I left the slide open for a week, the magazines fully loaded for a week and I cleaned the gun and lubricated it prior to first use. I had zero problems at the range and I found the pistol a pleasure to fire and very accurate too. I fired 100 rounds and used a Hoppe’s bore snake during the range session.

I did notice an issue with the FNX-9 9mm 17 round magazines during loading. If you do not put the correct number of rounds in the magazine the follower will cant/tilt and this will cause some of the rounds to move freely. I also noticed if you do not hold the magazine with a slight angle tilting up while pushing the rounds to the back some of the rounds will not seat at the rear of the magazine. The loose round issue did not happen at a low round count. I do not consider this a major issue just something to be aware of.

If you plan on firing several hundred rounds during a range session I do recommend a magazine loader as your hands/finger may become sore. This was never an issue with my USP but the magazine does not have the capacity and has a larger opening for rounds.

Enjoy.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Follow-Up: Range Report for the FNX-9 SS Break-In First Range Session

I previously stated” I did notice an issue with the FNX-9 9mm 17 round magazines during loading. If you do not put the correct number of rounds in the magazine the follower will cant/tilt and this will cause some of the rounds to move freely. I also noticed if you do not hold the magazine with a slight angle tilting up while pushing the rounds to the back some of the rounds will not seat at the rear of the magazine. The loose round issue did not happen at a low round count. I do not consider this a major issue just something to be aware of.”

I have tested all my FNX-9 magazines and have discovered the following. If you load up to 7 rounds there will be no loose round, the 8th round loaded will cause a loose round and every even number loaded after (8th 10th 12th 14th & 16th), if you add rounds (9th 11th 13th 15th & 17th) you will have no issue. I do not consider this a major issue or a design flaw just something to be aware of.

· Registered
329 Posts
Noob question- Whats the point in leaving the slide open for a week?
Some folks were having trouble with some of the weaker ammo not cycling the heavy spring.

I never had problems. Bought the gun and went to the range. Loaded the mags with WWB and went at it. Here I sit, 1500 trouble-free rounds later.

· Registered
17 Posts
Is this guide available as a document? The first post lists a table of contents with referenced page numbers, but I don't see a full representation of the guide.

If there is supposed to be a file attached, I don't see it.

Reactions: Aikimike

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Follow-Up: Range Reports for the FNX-9 SS Break-In 2nd and 3rd Range Sessions

2nd Range Session
Ammunition: Speer Lawman Clean Fire 147 GR TMJCF #53826 Specs: 985 fps & 317 ft-lbs 150 rounds & Win LE Ranger 147GR FMJ #RA9147FMJ Specs: 985 fps & 317 ft-lbs 50 rounds.

I fired 200 rounds and used a Hoppe’s Bore Snake during the range session after firing 100 rounds to clean and oil the barrel and I used M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner and M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Oil. I had no issues.

3rd Range Session
Ammunition: Speer Lawman 115 GR TMJ #53650 Specs: 1200 fps & 368 ft-lbs 100 rounds & Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 124GR FMJTC #9APC Specs: 1150 fps & 364 ft-lbs 100 rounds.

I fired 200 rounds and used a Hoppe’s Bore Snake during the range session after firing 100 rounds to clean and oil the barrel and I used M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner and M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Oil. I had no issues, I have fired 500 rounds and at this point I believe the FNX-9 break-in period is complete.

· Registered
457 Posts
Can I add a couple? Don't be one of those owners who cries because of petty problems like holster wear. (I used to be, lol) Don't be afraid to get it dirty, beat it up and to modify it. Oh, and last but not least, Find a back strap that fits you and epoxy that POS into place. :0)

It's a $400 gun not a Ming Dynasty Vase, beat that thing up and let it earn its place on your side.

· Registered
19 Posts
No silly break in required - got the gun, cleaned it then shot the hell out of it. No issues with 180 gr steel case, hollow point or FMJ.......isn't that what one would expect?
I would also agree - the back strap plastic tab is a joke, that thing is not going to last! They should have stuck with the screw type from the FNP....but at least it's not like my Springfield...stooopid thing is pinned and you have to drive the dang thing out.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts