FN Herstal Firearms banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Range Report for the FNX-45 Tactical Break-In First Range Session

Ammunition: Herter’s Select Blazer 230 GR TNJ 845 fps/365 ft-lbs, Magtech 45A 230 GR FMJ 835 fps/356 ft-lbs and Herter's Select S&B HRT45A 230 GR FMJ 853 fps/372 ft-lbs.

Cleaning products used on pistol: Tetra grease/oil used on wear-points, M-Pro7 LPX in the barrel and on other pistol parts. I removed the factory lubrication with M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner and the copper fouling was removed with the TNJ bullets (Nyclad).

I left the slide open for a week, the magazines fully loaded for a week and I cleaned the gun and lubricated it prior to first use. One reason for doing this is it took 3 months to find ammo and it reduces problems during break-in. I had zero problems at the range and I found the pistol a pleasure to fire and very accurate too. I fired 100 rounds and used a Hoppe’s bore snake (used after 50 rounds) during the range session.

Many people have noted excessive copper fouling with their new FNX-45(s) and I also agree that my FNX-45T had more fouling than my FNX-9, FNX-40 and FNS-9L when first cleaned before first use but I do not believe this to be an issue. I found that by using the TNJ (Federal Nyclad) bullets that the copper fouling was removed during the first range session (I discovered this on different firearms using Nyclad bullets).

Enjoy.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Hope this is the right place since it said newbies. Been carrying about 4 yrs (former nyer, don't hold that against me). I haven't had a chance to break in my FNX 45yet. my question is I clean my guns after every range trip. Question is how are you 100 percent sure it is assembled correctly and will function as it should?
The pistol will not lock if something is not aligned correctly and all the parts must be in place for it to be aligned. The second step is to operate the slide (rake) and this will confirm fit and function; this pistol design is very user friendly.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Question... i been looking at possibly putting on my wish list a FNX-45T. Does this gun need all those "break in" recommendations as OP stated? I'd expect out of the box reliability for a $1000 combat gun. Been interested in either this or a FDE HK45 but the 15 rounds of .45 in the FNX-45T and the FDE to match my 17S. Decisions...
The Newbie guide was designed for a person new to firearms or people who are new to FNH pistols who want trouble free use. The bulk of the guide is from the owners manual, forum member experience and best practices. An experienced user will know what to do and how to do it so nothing in the guide should be new info. Yes, the FNX-45T is reliable out of the box. I have found following the guide prevented many issues except for ammo with a weak charge (slide does not lock back on last round) and improper hold (limp-wristing).

Mntsnow, since you are an experienced user and you cleaned the pistol I would expect that you would not have any issues. Proper cleaning, lubrication, shooting mechanics and good ammo choices would lead to a trouble free experience.

· Registered
72 Posts
Just went to the range for the first time with my FNX9. Picked it up used but with low round count. I can see why the guy got rid of it. Damn thing jammed practically every round using Federal 115g. also had a couple of failure of slide lock back after the last round. Didn't have anything else to try ammo wise so that's all I can go by.
I suspected the recoil spring is too stiff? (all the symptoms fits) Of course I get home and search FNX FTF and find this thread. Going to let it sit with the slide locked back for a week and try again. I also have a FNS9 and a FNX45 as well and not one issue with either from day one and I shot them right out of the box with only a mild cleanup and lube

· Registered
319 Posts
Just went to the range for the first time with my FNX9. Picked it up used but with low round count. I can see why the guy got rid of it. Damn thing jammed practically every round using Federal 115g. also had a couple of failure of slide lock back after the last round. Didn't have anything else to try ammo wise so that's all I can go by.
I suspected the recoil spring is too stiff? (all the symptoms fits) Of course I get home and search FNX FTF and find this thread. Going to let it sit with the slide locked back for a week and try again. I also have a FNS9 and a FNX45 as well and not one issue with either from day one and I shot them right out of the box with only a mild cleanup and lube
I would go ahead and load and reload your mags during this time every other day. You will notice they ease up after doing this a few times. I can't emphasize this next point enough as we all have different technique and are coming out of firing different pistols. When the gun is "new" lass than say 500 rounds. Grip it like a fist full of Benjamin's in a hurricane. It's easy to limp wrist and not even know it.

· Registered
72 Posts
I would go ahead and load and reload your mags during this time every other day. You will notice they ease up after doing this a few times. I can't emphasize this next point enough as we all have different technique and are coming out of firing different pistols. When the gun is "new" lass than say 500 rounds. Grip it like a fist full of Benjamin's in a hurricane. It's easy to limp wrist and not even know it.
I really don't have any issue loading the mags. It's the fail to feeds, and slide not locking back. I do use a Uplula though. Best thing since sliced bread for loading mags. If you don't own one you need to go get one.
Just for reference, I have probably owned upwards of 30+ pistols in my day and have at least 10 in my current collection. I have never had to "break in" any of them.
Going to leave the slide locked back for a while and sit here and rack it a few hundred times. I actually think racking it (exercising the spring) will have more effect then just letting it sit compressed.

I am glad I googled this though. I was so pissed at the range today I was almost on the phone to FN to ship it back. Glad to see there probably is a solution.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just bought and fired my FNX-40. After years of firing FNs for the Army and them being rock solid dependable weapons, I decided I wanted a hammer. I ran 200 rounds through it with no issues, as expected per my experience with FN weapons. Since i'm old school, and love the decock feature, this will soon become my primary CCW once I become fully confident in this weapon. I am going to take advice and leave the magazines loaded as they have strong springs, but i'm okay with that. Glad to be a member and cannot wait until I can send more rounds downrange. Until then, my G23 remains my CCW, but not for long I suspect.

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently got a new FNX-9 and took it to the range today. Since I live in Colorado I have the 10 round magazines. I only had one magazine shoot trouble free, the other two had tons of failure to feed issues. Since this is my first FN, is this normal? I only shot about 25 rounds and was really upset at the performance of this gun and immediately put it back in the range bag. I have seen several people saying that the slide should be left open for a week. Would this help, or should I send it back in to FNH? I was shooting Winchester White Box and Blazer, both 115 grain.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
I recently got a new FNX-9 and took it to the range today. Since I live in Colorado I have the 10 round magazines. I only had one magazine shoot trouble free, the other two had tons of failure to feed issues. Since this is my first FN, is this normal? I only shot about 25 rounds and was really upset at the performance of this gun and immediately put it back in the range bag. I have seen several people saying that the slide should be left open for a week. Would this help, or should I send it back in to FNH? I was shooting Winchester White Box and Blazer, both 115 grain.
Yes this is normal as the pistol needs to break-in (wear-in). Have you marked the magazines to tell them apart? Have you followed the newbie's guide for break-in? Try 124 gr - 158 gr ammo or +P ammo and if you are still having issues have a different shooter try the pistol. If you are having problems after 400-500 rounds then contact FNH USA for a service tag. It is not uncommon for the FNX/FNS-9 to have issues with 115 gr ammo during break-in.

· Registered
614 Posts
So basically, you didn't do any of the things needed for trouble free operation of the gun, then were upset when you had problems. Lol, just busting your balls, but really, that's why people went through the trouble of writing this guide...it works! ;)
Follow the OP on this thread and you will have zero issues.

Congrats on a great combat handgun!!

· Registered
180 Posts
Clean, lube, at least 100 rounds of 124 grn. The other tips will help but, k.i.s.s! You run some hot ammo through her it will loosen her up. You dont need super duper awesome hollow points. Just get some 124 grn. paper cutters. Also for your first outing put some grease on the slide, that will give it some nice lube to ride on. Clean her and give it good oil after the range session though.

· Registered
165 Posts
I bought an FNX-9 today and I'm following the break in steps. I cleaned and lubed the pistol. I may go to the range tomorrow even though it has not been a week yet. All FMJ rounds I have right now are 147gr. I did buy some Speer 124gr Gold Dot rounds for SD. This is my first 9mm pistol.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just took to the range my new FNX 9 for the first time. I fired three mags x 17 each with great success. Very accurate, very smooth--no failures of any kind. It is one smooth pistol. I will eventually shoot a good 500-rd break in. And, incidentally, I was brought up to clean the weapon after every use. It makes them last longer (and work better). I had no problem with 115 gr 9mm rounds. This is my first outing to the range with my very first made-in-America FNH weapon and I am very pleased with it. Thanks for your great inputs.

· Registered
2 Posts
Proud new owner of my FNX 40, this is a great thread. So far I have run 600+ through her everything from WWB(165/180) to Tula steel case(50 rds) and 75 Hornady Critical Duty. 100% flawless performance!!!!
pics to follow talon grips go on Monday and the TLR-4 fit perfectly , looking for the right NS now

· Registered
118 Posts
-EVILE

Double plus++ on that! Good grief! I think I have about 3000 rounds through my FNX9 and admit to a few FTF's and a stove-pipe or two, but on every failure, my teen age son was shooting the gun. so....

Both of us have had a magazine just drop out from under us while shooting... this was very disconcerting and I considered getting rid of the gun.... the problem is, well, I just like it so much. Going to keep it. I think the magazines falling away uninvited was down to an accidental press of the mag release.

I will say this, I will never carry it for more than a few minutes in condition one, I have just found the safety mysteriously in the off position too many times.

Funny. I would never tolerate such little idiosyncrasies in any gun, ever...but I just really like this little gun so much. Every morning when I am making that decision which machine to carry, I always pick up the FNX. Always.
To funny I love it I'm the same way

101 - 120 of 147 Posts