FN Herstal Firearms banner

Newbie�s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNS

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Lmstncwby 
#1 · (Edited)
Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNS

Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNS.

1. Check the contents of the storage case (P.3).
2. Read the owner’s manual….
3. Initial Cleaning of Pistol (P.15, P.29-38).
4. Mark magazines in order to tell them apart.
5. Pull slide back & lock, leave open for one week or rack the slide. *
6. Load magazines for one week.
7. Buy quality ammo (+P optional). **
8. Many people recommend a 400-500 round break-in. ***
9. Clean and lubricate pistol after each use with quality products. ****
10. Keep a round count.
11. Clean magazines based on use, quality of ammo, conditions (dirt, sand, etc).
12. Enjoy…. Oh, I almost forgot don’t fire the pistol like in the movies. *****

*Working the slide by hand (see P.25 Figure 13) while watching TV is another option.

**FNS-9 People have reported problems with 115 gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 124 gr-158 gr. Yes, 158 gr does exist but is very hard to find. FNS-40 bullet weight is not an issue (NO 40 S&W +P).

*** The 400-500 round break-in period is based on FNS forum experience.

**** Over/Under lubrication can cause function problems (FTE, FTF, etc). A pistol that is not properly maintained will also malfunction.

***** This is a safety issue reported at ranges and turning your pistol to the side will eject the cartridges at your face/head. Improper-Hold (Limp-Wristing) the pistol may cause function problems (reported in the forum) and can do the same thing.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Additional Notes:

The use of grease (bearing surfaces) on the rail, unlocking block (P35, Figure 20) and slide rails, barrel contact surfaces, muzzle opening, barrel (P35, Figure 21) will reduce wear (most notably on the barrel).
The FNS does not have double strike capability (a nice feature for hard primers or light strikes).
I mark the magazines by painting the FNH logo of the magazine different colors with nail polish and top coat or automotive touch-up paint; with other magazines I use permanent markers or physical marks (numbers).
The trigger does improve with use (dry firing and/or shooting) and putting a small amount of Sil-Glyde or similar silicone based grease (non-melting, freezing, gumming and weatherproof) where the trigger safety meets the frame (put a very small amount on the frame) improves the trigger feel.

#3 · (Edited)
Range Report for the FNS-9L (66726) Break-In and Range Sessions

Ammunition: Herter's S&B 115 gr FMJ #HRT9A (hot load) and Herter's Blazer 115 gr TNJ (Nyclad) #3329431.

Cleaning products used on pistol: Tetra grease & oil used on wear-points, M-Pro 7 LPX gun oil in barrel and on other gun parts. I removed the factory lubrication with M-Pro 7 cleaner (Note: I own all the major brands of firearm oils, greases and cleaners but I chose these).

I left the slide open for a few days and worked the slide and trigger while watching TV, the magazines were fully loaded for a week, I cleaned the gun and lubricated it prior to first use and marked my magazines (I used my wife’s 007 Bond Girls nail polish w/lacquer). I had zero problems at the range and I found the pistol a pleasure to fire and very accurate too (love the trigger). I fired 100 rounds and used a Hoppe’s bore snake during the range session. If you plan on firing several hundred rounds during a range session (500 max per P.30) I do recommend a magazine loader as your hands/fingers may become sore. I had no issues with the 115 gr ammo as I took the time to set the springs, work the slide and action (wear-in) and used hot ammo (first 50 rounds). My wife decided that in order to purchase the FNS-9L (66726) I have to sell my FNX-9 (66826) which is a tough decision since I like both and each pistol has benefits the other does not; Enjoy.

FNS-40 (66943)

Note: I have used my friends FNS-40 (66943) for over 2 years with no issues/problems during break-in or use (No FTE, FTF, lock-up or heating issues); I currently own the FNX-9, 40, 45 Tactical and FNS-9L.

#8 ·
The guide was developed from many firearm manufacturers (owner's manuals, forums and experience) including the FNS owner’s manual, years of Fnforum experience and the experience of my local gun club, friends and family. The idea behind the guide is to educate people new to pistols and help people who are experienced but are new to FNS pistols; for experienced firearm owners none of the information should be new hence the term newbie’s guide. The goal is to have a great experience with FNS pistols and not for some people to trade-it or send it back to FNH USA for not following the owner's manual, poor firearm handling skills, maintenance or bad ammunition choice. This happens too often with people who purchase a firearm and it does not meet their expectations and trades it for a "better" firearm when there was nothing wrong with the firearm in the first place. I hope forum members will add to this guide by sharing their knowledge and experience with the FNS. For the lurkers out there please join the forum and contribute your experience, knowledge and voice as this can only add value to the forum.

My wife was using her new SIG SP2022 for the first time and the PMC 115 gr FMJ ammo was causing FTF and FTE problems so I gave her my AE 124 gr FMJ ammo and the problems were solved; my wife can now use the PMC 115 gr ammo but it took 200-500 rounds for the pistol to break-in. Had I not been there and if we were not married my wife would have traded the pistol as she is not a patient person.

#9 ·
I'm looking forward to picking mine up. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I have a box of 124grn and some 124grn xtp I'll run through it first. After reading this I'll wait to run the 115 I have. I do plan on keeping a good record with this pistol. Was never that excited with my g19 or my m&p9c. But I love the feel and look of the fns-9

#10 ·
I didn't go through all of the slide-working steps with my FNS-40 but did follow the directions in the Owner's Manual. I have it lubed with MPro-7 exclusively. Thanks for the great break-in tips just the same. I bought mine last summer while looking for an SR-40 to match my SR-40c. I ultimately bought the SR-40, an outstanding pistol in it's own right, but the FN-40 is my favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.