FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got a chance to take my new scar 17 out. I loaded a mag, pulled the handle back and let go. Tried to fire, and heard a click. Looked at the bolt, and it never went into full battery (I can see bolt lugs). I tried moving handle back to eject, but lugs are stuck after about an inch of travel. Looks like the bolt is supposed to rotate so the lugs disengage from block? I see that the bolt is a few mm off from being correctly rotated, which is why it won't come back.

Should I insert an awl and try to rotate bolt? I've tried field stripping to the part where I remove bolt, but can't. Unfired bullet and casing is still inside rifle. I made the reload myself, the snap caps worked fine but I've never fired a live round. I'm pretty sure I checked headspacing, but not sure if problem is with bullet or rifle. Help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To be clear, bolt doesn't move. The one inch of travel is just the handle and carrier moving.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would be inclined to say your reloads are not sized correctly. I always fire factory ammo through my new guns to make sure the gun works before I throw my reloads into it. I would try and get it into battery and then remove the recoil spring assembly out and then take a rod and knock the round out from the muzzle. be careful if this is a live round. I am sure someone else will chime in what to do

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks like you jammed an oversized reload into the chamber
You are going to have to hit the back of the receiver or buttstock on the ground or a harder surface while pulling back on the charging handle
Don't know which would do the least amount of damage

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I've seen this happen before with reloads, can't say for sure this the exact cause but I lay money on your reload is what jammed. Most of the time it's from the roll crimp budging the case causing the round to get stuck in the chamber, few other times it was the OAL being to long and the bullet becoming wedged into the rifling.

Ether way your going to need to get the live round unstuck. With an AR guys would mortar the rifle, basically taking the rifle and slamming the buttstock against the ground using the momentum of the bolt carrier to rip the stuck round loose. I have actually used my boot by kicking the charging handle to unstick the round, none of this would be what I'd recommend but you will need to find a way to force the live round free in as safe of a manner as you can and try to avoid damaging the weapon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I could do exactly as you both suggested, but the bolt lugs don't seem to be aligned right with the notches. No matter how hard I hit it, the lugs would never clear the notches, right?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would be inclined to say your reloads are not sized correctly. I always fire factory ammo through my new guns to make sure the gun works before I throw my reloads into it. I would try and get it into battery and then remove the recoil spring assembly out and then take a rod and knock the round out from the muzzle. be careful if this is a live round. I am sure someone else will chime in what to do
This will probably force the bullet into the case, but may work if you pull back on the charging handle at the same time

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thought I could do exactly as you both suggested, but the bolt lugs don't seem to be aligned right with the notches. No matter how hard I hit it, the lugs would never clear the notches, right?
Pulling back on the charging handle will rotate the bolt into alignment

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
The bolt rotates into the barrel extension, unless something broke with the cam pin (which I highly doubt) it rotated in it has to rotate out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Toss a couple of drops of oil on the back of the bolt face and lugs and do the standard AR stuck bolt dance (pull back on charging handle while tapping the stock onto a firm surface). May require more than "tapping" but least force necessary.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
YIKES!!!

Proceed with caution. Think this through before doing anything since your dealing with a live round.

I would not put a rod down the barrel to try and move it. DANGER!!! This will not rotate the bolt, which needs to be done for the lugs to be in the correct position.

Use a plastic rod of some kind to rotate the bolt, then move the carrier rearward.

Reactions: vertigosol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so a light tap actually did it! I did a practice tap to make sure I hit the butt squarely on a towel/concrete and the bullet came right out. Thanks guys. I am going to clean the rifle... I was so excited to try it that I didn't do my preclean ritual. There is all sort of sticky gun on the bolt carrier. Time for some fireclean. I appreciate all the help! Btw, reload seems to go in just fine compared to snap cap. I will test again after a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
:th_phew:

Glad you got it out with out issue. :th_thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ALWAYS clean the rifle and lube before firing... that oversized reload was a blessing in disguise!
Rifle cleaned... and reload rounds do not fit as far in as snap caps. The oal and headspace was fine according to gauges, but as always the rifle rules when it comes to fit. I should have checked. Cheap lesson for me this time for sure!

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
If you set your sizing die too low, if will bulge the case, just below the shoulder. All of your headspace measurements might be correct, but if the case is slightly too fat, it won't fit in the chamber far enough to let the bolt fully seat.

Measure the case diameter at several points, especially just below where the shoulders start.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I did this with my AR, and as Tal mentioned, used my boot on the charging handle. I didn't have my FL die set quite right.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Man im glad everything worked out. What a nightmare it would be to break your baby before firing the first time lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts