FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering purchasing either an FNP-9 or a FNX-9

However, if you guys in the know could answer some questions, I would greatly appreciate it;

1. What are the differences between the FNP v. the FNX?
2. Are FNPs being phased out in favor of FNXs?
3. FNXs seem to be an improvement over the FNP. Why would someone purchase an FNP over an FNX?

Thanks for any opinions offered.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
1. FNX has ambi safety-FNP has a reversibly one. You can get the FNP in decock only (no safety) if you like. FNX has aggressive grip texturing, lower bore axis, polymer lower profile safety/decocking lever's, slightly lighter, slightly different rail, deep v rear sights and big dot front sight and a flat-top slide. Mags are also 17 rounds in the FNX and it has more back straps and uses a plastic tab to retain them instead of the screw on the FNP back straps.

2. The FNP was discontinued last year (well, 9 and 40. 45's are still being made as the FNX is a scaled down version of the FNP 45).

3. The FNP can be completely stripped (fire control group can be taken out without drilling through the decocker lever). Some prefer the smoother grip, and it can be had in just decock only.

I personally own and FNP-9 USG in FDE. If I could only have one (and if they were both offered in FDE), I would go with the FNX-9. I like the decocker, grip, and sights better. Otherwise, they're pretty similar mechanically.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What he said. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The FNP 9 USG DOES come with an ambi safety/decock. It comes with a reversible mag release, whereas the FNX comes with an ambi mag release. If it were me, I'd go with the FNP 9 USG. I handled both the fnx 9 and the fnp 9 when I was shopping for a handgun recently. I have to say, the FNP 9 felt like a more solidly built weapon. The safety/decocker on the fnp is metal. On the fnx, it's plastic, which I didn't really like. I would question the durability of this design. Also, the back straps on the fnp fit a lot better than the backstraps on the fnx. There was too much "play" for my taste. One other thing to consider is that the slide on the fnp 9 usg looks identical to the slide on the fnx. (front serrations) In my opinion, the FNP 9 USG is superior because it uses many of the good aspects from both the fnx 9 and the fnp 9. Don't get me wrong, I like the fnx, I just prefer the fnp for the reasons mentioned above. Here's a pic of my FNP 9 USG with a pachmayr slip on grip. I love this gun. Extremely accurate and never had any FTF or FTE issues so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Comparison Between the 2, FNP and FNX 9

I traded 'up' selling my fnp 9 USG for 300 at a gun show...and getting the fnx 9. 529ish at CDNN, not too bad.

I would say there are not too many big differences, but the little things with the FNP that bugged me...were corrected with the FNX.

The magazines on the fnx have 17 holes, like a glock 17 magazine, while the fnp 9 has just a few witness holes for the 16 round magazine. I have never understood why all magazines don't just copy the glock model.

Sights...I don't know I just did not like the fnp 9 sights, like the dots were too far away or something, the fnx has a big dot on the front, and the picture just looks a little better, I tried painting things up on the fnp, but just couldn't get it done right.

Grip....this was the biggest thing. I never really liked the fnp grip, it just felt too bulky for my hand, I have avg sized hands.(6ft tall) The fact that the grip was kind of big meant I had trouble keeping my hands in the same place, there wasn't enough traction on the sides of the grip for my sweaty hands..(probably not a common problem, especially for someone with better skills than myself) Now, when I got the handall hogue grip things got much better, and if anyone gets the fnp and is a bit unsatisfied I would highly suggest a hogue grip. But when I picked up the fnx in the gunshop the grip just felt much better, more slim. Some people don't like the aggressive texture on the fnx, but I like it a lot, on my fnp I was always screwing around puting grip tape on the gun...which just got a lot of sand inside the slide.(untill I got the hogue)

Weight and trigger? Maybe slightly better, but hardly noticeable difference for the better with the fnx. Not a big difference.

Recoil/muzzle flip? Fn says that there is less felt recoil/muzzle flip with the fnx...its hard to really say but I do believe it. I didn't really notice too much of a difference...but I did notice that after shooting a bunch of snappy rounds though the fnx, I don't get a shaky hand like I would with the fnp (without the bulky hogue grip). I did notice a small, but significant difference with muzzle flip, it was always something that annoyed me with the fnp that made me think...should I have just got a damn glock 19? The fnx does seem a little better here though really difficult to measure.

I would disagree with the fnx being less well built, it really seems more or less the same construction as the fnp, though I can see how psychologically, when you pick up the slightly more bulky fnp it seems like more of a tool in the hand.

So those are my thoughts, I am satisfied with trading up, though objectively there is probably not a 150 dollar difference. I would encourage someone to go to a gun store and pick up an fnx 9 before buying, to me the grip was the biggest difference. If someone is satisfied with their fnp I would say just keep it. There were just too many little things that bugged me with the fnp, and by coincidence the fnx addressed pretty much all of them. Hope this helps for any prospective buyers. This guy 'wolvee' who has posted here made a pretty good video on the differences, which I concur with ...well pretty much 100% on the differences between the fnp and fnx (not the usg) http://www.youtube.com/user/wolvee123#p/u

-Leif

·
Registered
6 Posts
The decock mechanism on the X is a huge improvement over the P. Throw in the awesome grip & interchangeable backstraps, and it was a no-brainer for me. Simply put, the FNX is the NEW & IMPROVED. Of course, since they are both FN's, performance will not be an issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad that you're happy with your FNX. However, the reason I said the FNP was more solidly built really had nothing to do with the bulk of the gun and there's nothing psychological about it. It was because the backstraps fit tighter than the FNX backstraps(no play), the magazines fit tighter (again no play), and the fact that the FNP has all metal controls, as opposed to some plastic controls on the FNX, which seemed to flex a bit when using them. (I found all this out during a side by side comparison of these two guns at a gun shop.) These are the things that were less than desirable for me on the FNX and I didn't find anything wrong with the FNP. For me, the FNP was a no brainer. I don't find the FNX an improvement over the FNP....just different. As far as the recoil on the FNP, almost non existent to me and gets back on target super fast.

I guess different strokes for different folks. FNX IS a great gun, not trying to knock it, just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a while since I handled an FNP-45, but my memory tells me the grip on her is much larger than the fnx-9. It (the .45) was the largest thing I (medium to small hands) could reasonably handle, whereas the FNX is adjustable to perfect for me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
In regards to the post by FNPNICK, MY FNX-9 was manufactured on 11/10/2011 and the FNX problems you listed have been corrected (FYI). Both are great guns and for some LEOs the FNP may be a better fit; it is all a matter of personal preference. One current advantage for the FNP is if you buy a FNP-40 you can purchase conversion barrels and shoot 9mm and 357 SIG. However, they sell out fast and since the FNX replaced the FNP who knows how long barrel production will continue?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The FNX is better. Plain and simple. If you don't like some included features on the FNX over the FNP, they are easy to change or adjust. If the play in the baskstrap bothers you (mine has no play whatsoever), then a tiny bit of hot glue at the top as you put it on will fix it. If the plastic safety levers bother you, there will be a metalic replacement made by someone eventually. if you don't like the texture of the grips, a fine grit sandpaper can smoothe it out. if ambi controls bother you, get the **** over it. if your name has an FNP in it instead of an FNX in it, change your name.

FNX is the best handgun I've ever shot. I haven't shot all of them obviously, but I've shot quite a few.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, I dunno. I have an FNX. I love it so much, I looked into getting 3-4 extra mags to get it up to par with my Glocks. Then found out how much they cost. I would probably be happier with an FNP with mags costing 15 dollars less!

Unless you like cocked and locked, with a not so great safety lever, then the FNX doesn't really have much on the FNP. The things I like are completely ambi mag release and the flat checkered backstrap. I could probably live without those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a new FNP45 and its features are identical to the fnx .40 I examined. The grip, the backstrap, the ambi de-cocker/safety, the mag release, the sights, the front slide serations - all the same. If you like the new fnxs, you'll love the FNP45. I sure do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, so I fired the FNP-45 Tactical handgun over the weekend and totally fell in love with it. Now I am wondering if there is a big difference between the handling, as far as the kick, of the FNP compared to the FNX-45 DA/SA or the FNX-45 Tactical?

I don't want to buy the FNX-45 DA/SA just to find out that I really don't like it and that the FNX-45 Tactical with the extra inch or so of barrel length gives it a smoother kick.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kate

·
Administrator
12,182 Posts
Okay, so I fired the FNP-45 Tactical handgun over the weekend and totally fell in love with it. Now I am wondering if there is a big difference between the handling, as far as the kick, of the FNP compared to the FNX-45 DA/SA or the FNX-45 Tactical?

I don't want to buy the FNX-45 DA/SA just to find out that I really don't like it and that the FNX-45 Tactical with the extra inch or so of barrel length gives it a smoother kick.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kate

Welcome to FNForum Kate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this completely true? I am interested in the pistol in 45ACP and am torn between a FNP USG or the new FNX. The USG can be had cheaper, but if mags are different and will become harder to find that may sway me against the USG.
From what I have been reading, it sounds as if the FNX series upgrades the 9 and 40 FNPs to what the FNP 45 USG had all along. I just want to make sure that is the case. Thanks.

By the way. I am a newbie here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts