FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had or do have just about every brand of pistol (just ask my wife, lol) and I started looking at the FNPs in 9mm.
Why did you buy one? How does it carry? Shoot? Durable? After market parts/holsters/sights?
Any and all you can tell me about it would be helpful. I'm looking for a carry pistol as well as something I can shoot in IDPA. Currently carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II. (great pistol). Wanting to go to 9mm for competition and save me some money on ammo. Any and all you can tell me about this pistol would be helpful, trying to compare it to a Springfield CDP. Already have Glocks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I do not have an FNP, but many of the answers to your questions are in the various FNP threads. I remember reading about the holsters, the sights, and how they shoot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an FNP-40, not an FNP-9, but can give you the advantages that I think the FNP-40 has over other comparably priced pistols, such as the Glock, XD, M&P and PX4:

1. External hammer with decock feature. The FNP is a traditional DA/SA. The DA pull is smooth and relatively short, so the transition from DA to SA is easy. Beretta's PX4 is the same design, but I find the FNP trigger to be much better. I like being able to decock the pistol when carrying it.

2. Grip angle. I don't like the Glock grip angle. The FNP, XD and M&P grip angle are easier to shoot accurately, at least IMO.

3. Metal magazines. The Glock mags are polymer and therefore thicker. The FNP .40 cal mags carry 14 rounds, but are thinner because they are made of metal. That makes the FNP grip slimmer and less blocky feeling than the Glock. M&P has the best grip ergonomics, but the FNP's is close.

4. Replaceable backstrap. The M&P and PX4 have this feature also. You can adjust the feel of the grip and the trigger reach to fit your hand.

5. Feed angle. The FNP feed angle is almost straight in and needs very little assist from the feed ramp. Glock's is similar. The M&P feed angle is steeper. Not sure about the XD and PX4. My FNP feeds slickly, even when you ride the slide forward slowly. My M&P 9 won't do that.

6. Easy disassembly. Lock the slide, lower the disassembly lever, unlock and remove the slide. Very easy and no need to pull the trigger, pull tabs, lower sear disconnects, etc.

In the end I chose an FNP because it has the smoothest DA/SA trigger of any gun that I have tried, including Sigs and Berettas. It is softer shooting than Glock .40's and the grip size and grip angle are more comfortable than the Glock's. It seems like a very reliable gun and has been flawless through the initial 400 rounds, which includes 250 rounds of JHP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i'd say durability, accuracy and price/quality.

the FNP9 is pretty hard to beat in its own priceclass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts