FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Well, I finally got tired of my multi-shaded FDE 16 and decided to paint after drooling over Kalmar's paint job for days. These are first pics posted of her as I felt she needed to be more "complete" before her debut. I got her used but in good condition as she is here minus the optics and then used her a bunch more in the last year or so. I still plan to add a few things to her, couldn't wait any longer for the facelift. I think the paint turned out ok but not exactly what i was hoping for. Give me you opinions please guys.

Oh and Kalmar, when you see this please tell me what colors you used on yours...I used Aervoe, but they didn't actually dry in the shades I expected...well here she is.

Pre paint job in multiple shades of tan.

And here in her freshly painted glory!

Scrounger out!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
I think it looks fantastic! Just a thought, but maybe add another layer with a darker color to give it more depth? Great job though! :shock:

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
+1 for Kev's suggestion, one of the darker shades in your sling would add some depth. It looks good though.... :?

Just a thought, but maybe add another layer with a darker color to give it more depth?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Looks good. Did you paint that just for looks, or for a snowy desert terrain?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alas, those are the darkest colors I have...so off to the internet to order some more shades...hahaha. I intended it to be a close copy of Kalmar's paint job...hahaha. I used a bigger net though for more of a Kryptek flavor. It kinda looks like straight desert NOMAD pattern to me, but I was shooting for a little darker blend to go with South Texas colors. I had three shades...the sand looks really light and the other two are very close to each other and you really can't see the contrast. I used Aervoe Desert Sand, Field drab and Coyote. when I get some new shades in I may try again. Thanks for the kudos guys.

·
Banned
617 Posts
I think it looks awesome. Your equipment setup appears well thought out and functional as well. The aor-pattern sling adds even more cool guy points so you shouldn't have any concerns there.

I'm cheap and just went to town with some tan, brown and khaki colored Krylon. It's already been permeated by gun oil, flaked and rubbed off in most spots. The Aervoe you used is much more durable and long lasting. So you might have to put it in a few extra rounds down range if you're trying to get the well worn in look with it. Otherwise, if fashion is less of an operational consideration than actual camouflage, I believe you made the right choice using Aervoe.

Great thing about paint, you can always give it another coat when you want to try something new. Grab a magazine or a nerf gun and experiment with different colors, layering, and spray techniques. Just remember the best results are often unintentional!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sik3Gunner,

LOL...I did the paint job. Factory look was good, but with all the add on parts it was about 6 different colors...I hunt a lot and I wanted it to "look better" so I painted it. I will probably order a couple more colors off the internet and touch it up when they come in. thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The paint scheme looks great but I am also drooling over your equipment setup. Looks well thought out and very functional. Would you mind listing your equipment?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I like it. Good job on the paint eh...job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i really like what you did... also, a fan of your set up! thanks for sharing. I like seeing these sort of before and afters bc I toy around with the idea of painting mine all of the time. i just can't bring myself to do it!! Looks great though!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oops, sorry for the late reply guys, been busy at work all day! I should have posted a gear breakdown with the original, but here goes starting from the muzzle:

PWS Triad flash hider
PWS rail hand guard
LDI OTAL IR laser designator
Magpul Handstop (covered by sling in painted picture)
Gear Sector rail mounted flush cup adapter
Tango Down SCAR rail panels various sizes
Limited run BFG padded VCAS in Desert Digi
Tango Down charging handle
ADM Delta scope mount with Vortex PST 1-4
Magpul safety levers
Tango Down BG17 grip
Low Speed High Drag RARE custom double loop of 550 cord looped through bottom sling ring for sling attachment...hahaha
Tango Down replacement button for folding stock.

Planning to add:
Geissle Trigger ASAP
I also have a AIMPOINT M3 that I use regularly. The Vortex is newest so still evaluating it. love the ADM mount!

I hog hunt a lot, so I actually use the OTAL along with a helmet mounted PVS 14 for slaying piggies...and I also use this rifle in the local Defensive carbine matches frequently. Thanks again for all the compliments!

Scrounger

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think it looks outstanding just as it is. Definitely nailed the Kryptek vibe. Great work :?

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
update

Well, I got some medium brown and touched it up but it still ended up a little light. I may experiment on some mags and try again. Here she is with some more gear. Not as pretty as kalmar's, but she's mine!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why go through the trouble of painting your SCAR to blend in and then put a Texas flag on your head? I imagine it would stand out more than the base color weapon would. That being said, the rifle looks cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts