FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising Silincer shops website (bad idea because it always results in spending money :-D ) and I came across a couple of suppressors I haven't heard much about. That would be the Rugged 762 and the Sandman 762. I was hoping that somone could drop in here and shed some light on these two pieces of equipment. Like how good is the lock up? how is the performance compared to the other top tier manufacturers? What makes them worth buying?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I think the rugged one is suppose to be good, I believe nfareview channel on you tube has a video on it. One of my favorite gun dealers swears by the Sand man and uses it on his hunting rig that he takes with him hunting out west. About all I know to tell you. I been looking at the omega, to me it seems to have the best of everything, and suppresses well. If only it could accept the yhm adapter like the saker does considering how much I've already spent on fh. Plus I like the yhm fh and how well it locks up. I wish the omega could accept maad mounts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely one thing that is keeping me from looking at the Omega. What I don't understand is why they didn't make it compatible with Trifecta mounts. Maybe they will in the future... But I figure if I am going to be looking at other .30 cal cans and I have to go with a different mount anyway, why not look at other manufacturers as well? I really do love silincerco though doe their CS and from the quality of the suppressors I already have.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Might sound crazy considering they are in two completely different leagues. But I have narrowed my choices down to the omega and the yhm phantom lt. I think the phantom is a lot of bang for the buck, very light weight, very silent, qd, and affordable. I like the omega because it's six ounces lighter, slightly shorter, can utilize a muzzle brake, change end caps, and you have the option of direct thread, the only thing turning me off besides the $300 premium over the phantom is having to buy all new qd flash hiders, where as the phantom is good to go. I looked at the saker, but it's sooooo expensive and size weight and suppresses not as good as the omega. I feel the saker is no better than the phantom. A 30 cal can is on my list to buy this year, I plan on buying it from silencer shop, just need to make a decision. Good luck on your search for the best match for your personal needs kam

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might sound crazy considering they are in two completely different leagues. But I have narrowed my choices down to the omega and the yhm phantom lt. I think the phantom is a lot of bang for the buck, very light weight, very silent, qd, and affordable. I like the omega because it's six ounces lighter, slightly shorter, can utilize a muzzle brake, change end caps, and you have the option of direct thread, the only thing turning me off besides the $300 premium over the phantom is having to buy all new qd flash hiders, where as the phantom is good to go. I looked at the saker, but it's sooooo expensive and size weight and suppresses not as good as the omega. I feel the saker is no better than the phantom. A 30 cal can is on my list to buy this year, I plan on buying it from silencer shop, just need to make a decision. Good luck on your search for the best match for your personal needs kam

I like the Saker a lot. It's definitely a hefty can but the lock up is on point (easy one handed operation and solid) and I am impressed with the suppression. I have used it on the scar 16, 17 and 300blk and it's been awesome. The omega came out after I bought the saker but that doesn't bother me because something better is always going to come out after you buy your suppressor. That being said it's been reported that saker mount is better than the specwar mount so at least I have that going for me. Good luck on your search man. Sometime I feel like we're splitting hairs with these things but hell... Money is money.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Looking at the specs, the new Rugged and Dead Air suppressors are basically equivalent to the Silencerco cans. Same build materials, similar suppression, just a different mount to buy. If you're happy with the Saker, I'd maybe look at a lightweight Ti silencer if you want something new.

Or buy the equivalent in ammo/reloading supplies and shoot the heck out of the Saker.:x

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Looking at the specs, the new Rugged and Dead Air suppressors are basically equivalent to the Silencerco cans. Same build materials, similar suppression, just a different mount to buy. If you're happy with the Saker, I'd maybe look at a lightweight Ti silencer if you want something new.

Or buy the equivalent in ammo/reloading supplies and shoot the heck out of the Saker.:x
Henry was one of the founders from SWR ;)

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/2015/01/letter-industry/

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it would help if you all knew what I am looking to suppress.

300blk
300WM
7.62X39

The aforementioned Saker is rated for 300WM so I have that covered. The reason I was looking for another .30 cal can is so I wouldn't have to whore the one can between all of these rifles. I even toyed with the Idea of a second Saker. But variety spices things up a bit.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I suppose it would help if you all knew what I am looking to suppress.

300blk
300WM
7.62X39

The aforementioned Saker is rated for 300WM so I have that covered. The reason I was looking for another .30 cal can is so I wouldn't have to whore the one can between all of these rifles. I even toyed with the Idea of a second Saker. But variety spices things up a bit.
Rugged will cover everything and the 5.56 endcaps are shipping now - the suppressor comes with the 7.26 end cap and muzzle brake ... and you can shorten it - so if you need to remove added length, you can ;)

And Henry offers a full lifetime warranty - no questions asked...cant beat that either

CALIBER: 7.62mm rated to .300 RUM; Full-auto rated
DIAMETER: 1.5”
LENGTH: 9” to 7.5″
WEIGHT: 21.5 oz to 17.5 oz
SOUND LEVEL: (SPL) 134-138.4 Db
FINISH: Cerakote
MATERIALS:

Baffles: Stellite™ core
Tube: 316L Stainless Steel
Mount: 17-4 PH Stainless Steel

FEATURES

ADAPT™ Modular Technology
Interchangeable Front Caps 7.62mm (5.56mm available)
Monolithic 17-4 PH Stainless Steel Mount
Quick Detach Dual Taper Locking System™
Unconditional Lifetime Warranty

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The specs look good. Hopefully Jeremy will chime in and tell us about his hands on experience.

Reactions: Jeremy M.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I was just letting everyone hash it out before I jumped in. Didn't want to interrupt.

OK so Dead Air and Rugged both came from SilencerCo so you will notice that they use very similar mounts to existing SilencerCo products. The Sandman is basically a Saker mounting system with some changes. The Surge is basically a Specwar mounting system with some changes there also. So what is the real difference between them all? Honestly it is going to be splitting hairs, first they are all great products but here are the differences.

Dead Air Sandman
Uses a mounting system similar to the Saker with a few changes that include: a more simplified mount with less moving parts also the mount on the silencer can be disassembled and cleaned by the end user. The end caps are interchangeable with 5.56 endcaps however they don't currently have them on the market yet (5.56 endcaps). The brake for the Sandman deserves some attention, it is a brake/liner comp/comp combined. Very nice product. They also include a pouch that you can put the silencer in while it is hot and it won't burn through.

Rugged Surge
Similar mounting system to the Specwar but the locking ring is larger and easier to use with gloved hands or using a mitt. Also they added more a bearing surface for better accuracy (although we haven't tested that yet). The brake is more compact than any of the other silencers mentioned. Also with the Surge you can remove about 2 inches from the end and make it shorter. The endcap can interchange but the 5.56 endcaps are not on the market yet. They include a hard case for transport but it is not heat proof.

This about covers it let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I would like to hear your personal thoughts on the pros and cons of the omega
My personal thoughts on the Omega. This is not from Silencer Shop just the ramblings of Jeremy.

The Omega in my opinion is a light weight version of the Saker but without the mounting versatility. It is not rated for the same barrel lengths as a Saker either. I personally own a Saker and really like it a lot. So I'm disappointed in the Omega because of the lack of mounting options. In my mind the ASR mount is a step back from the MADD mount, which is awesome. Because of the locking ring the ASR can't go under hand guards, it is a two handed operation to remove when hot (you have to hold the silencer and then twist the ring) and it doesn't have as much of a taper for repeatably. I got a Saker before the Omega (if you were making be choose between the two) was out but I would buy the Saker again just because I know that I could throw it across the parking lot and pick it up and run it without issues. I wouldn't do that with the Omega.

Now having said that they are both good silencers just have different appeals. The person that gets the Omega is probably going to use it on a bolt gun more than a semi and doesn't need it be that durable like the Saker. This isn't ragging on the Omega I just think that the Saker is a better silencer for my needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.