FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time now I've had my eye on an M1A. Although I've enjoyed my time in the service, I'll be hitting my EAOS on 19MAR. With standard models going for well over $1,700 when they even become available, I realized it would be foolish of me to pass up on the MIL/LEO pricing direct from Springfield at $1,391 for an MA9102CA while I was still in. I called a few shops and finally found one willing to give me that price, even though the weapon was not in stock. I made the 3 hour drive down to Oceanside and paid, and was informed (as I had heard from countless other stores) that there was an estimated wait of 6 months to a year. On the drive back I stopped at the north end of Camp Pendelton to get gas and what can only be described as a miracle happened! I received a call from the shop informing me that right after I left a shipment came in and there was an MA9102CA in it! I immediately turned around and filled out the DROS. So now I just have to wait the 10 days (California jail time for firearms) and I'll have my brand new firearm!
Just thought I'd share this story because I can't describe how excited I was that my 6 month to a year wait turned into 10 days! Of course, once it's in my hands pictures will follow!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That's awesome! M1A's are such a joy to shoot. Congrats!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Excellent! Throw some pics up when you get a hold of it.

While you're waiting:

- See if you can scare up and "procure" a bore brush and cleaning rod from a 240, they'll come in handy with your new M1A. Also as many 7.62 cleaning patches as you can find.

- Get some grease. M14s/M21s were designed to be lubed with it. In the day, we used Lubriplate but any modern grease will work well. Many folks will tell you that a liquid lube will work. These folks normally don't know jack about the care and feeding of an M14. There is one area on the rifle that REQUIRES grease - the bolt roller. It needs to be packed with it in the same way you'd pack ball bearing with grease. Places like Brownells, Midway, and CTD carry a little widget expressly for that job. A 45 ACP case works just as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts