FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Five-seveN in today from Bud's. Love this pistol! I do have a newbie question though ... has anyone else had problems field stripping theirs?

For some reason I can't get it. I follow all the procedures in the manual, but it's very difficult for me to remove the slide (my thumb is killing me). I'm successful only about 1 out of 7-8 tries. Is there a trick to it or am I just missing something?

I'm fairly sure everything is operating correctly on the pistol. And I don't have any problems field stripping my Glocks ... No flames please, I'm not comparing apples and oranges, just letting you guys know I'm not completely incapable and that I am fairly familiar with firearms.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No, works fine - Ya just gotta learn the trick - I only had a tough time the 1st time.

Realize that U have to put a magazine in the gun (MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED FIRST). Then U must oull the trigger.

THEN, U pull the slide back a half inch or so and then work that front lever. Then the slide comes right off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ship.

I knew about the mag being in the pistol, but I didn't know about pulling the trigger and I've only been pulling back a quarter of an inch or so.

But ... your tips helped! I think the trick was that I wasn't pulling back far enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, II typically take the mag back out after the trigger is pull (it has a magazine safety, so U MUST have the mag in the gun to pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Actually you don't NEED to have a magazine in and you don't need to pull the trigger either.
I never have a mag in my gun when I feild strip it.
The trick is to find the sweat spot in the slide :)
Try this, its much safer than having a mag in the gun:

1) Empty chamber and remove magazine
2) Pull the side back about 2mm and hold(it doesn't matter if the safty is on or off)
3) Pull the take down lever back until you feel resistance and hold
****THIS IS THE SWEAT SPOT*****
4) Now pull the slide AND take down lever back at the same time about .5 inche
5) Slide the slide off.

Try that and see if its easier for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does the sweat spot get wet?? :x
This may be the problem in that it slips. :D

Sorry, I could not help myself. One of those days.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I'd swear the instructions show to pull the trigger before disassembly. That's how I've always done it.
Page 34(Field Stripping) in my IOM manual doesn't mention an inserted mag nor pulling the trigger.
Actually it states "... dont' insert a magazine into the pistol."
I don't have my USG manual infornt of me right now so I can't check that one.
But this is the way I've done it for both of my IOMs and USGs and it works for me.

But I'm sure you can do it either way since you do it the other way and it works for you.

Maybe if someone has a USG manual infornt of them they can check that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can't wait to get mine out in a couple weeks!!!

Hey tqtran,, you always have some good info and pointers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mhW4pJGNWrA
Watch this Russian gun show talking about the FiveSeveN. At 07:40, an FNH rep displays stripping the gun apart. Watch where his hands are when he takes it apart. Also, when you put the gun back together, makes sure everything lines up, if not; the slide will be a bear to unstick. I did that the first time, now I know how to properly put the slide back on properly.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Ok, I looked at the manual.

In the disassembly process - it says to do "the following" after performing the safety checks.

The safety check consists of pulling the trigger on an empty mag/chamber.

Therefore, I did that and then did the steps to get the slide off.

No trick to it at all if the trigger has been pulled. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Hey Shipwreck, did you USG manual say "dont' insert a magazine into the pistol"?

I just checked and all of my FiveseveN USGs came with IOM manuals.
I wonder if they changed the directions then.
If so then I wonder why...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I think mine said to not have the mag inserted when U take the slide off - but as I said above - I states to perform the safety check prior to disassembly.

When I got mine, I went to the range and cleaned it there for the 1st time to shoot it. I looked at the book, and tried to get the slide off. I could not. I looked at the instructions again. When I saw the part about the safety check, I went back a few pages and saw how to do that.

I then inserted an empty mag and pulled the trigger, then removed the mag.

Then I did the normal disassembly process, and it came right off.

So, from the sound of things, there is maybe TWO ways to do it?

Pulling the trigger is a bit longer, but it is easy to get the slide off afterwards. Never had a problem since.

I'll get my manual down again later and see if it is the IOM manual.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hmmm,
i neven recall pulling the trigger on mine to strip down...there is definately a sweet spot though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts