FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft

The other day I got an e-mail from Aim Surplus that they had received another (possibly the last according to their ad on their website) shipment of Ex-Israeli Police Hi-Powers...for $439 plus $15 shipping (and a $20 transfer fee from my FFL) who can resist the lure of an FN MkIII Hi-Power?

OK - poor cellphone photo - just spent about an hour cleaning and lubing it up (Mobil One 10W30) and checking it over. Serial Number prefix/date is 245PV***** places it as made in 1985. Like an old nag - its been ridden hard and put away wet - more then once I bet but mechanically and inside, other then showing that its been fired more then once, its in pretty shape. Finish reminds me of an orange peel. Both sights are in good condition unlike my last MkIII which had a bit of a rounded corner on the right side of the rear sight. The slide has a thin rib from rear to front sight; serial number marked (all matching) on the front of the grip, slide, and barrel.

A new importer; Mach 1 of Knoxville, TN; discreetly marked on the bottom of the frame, forward of the trigger guard, in three lines: Mach 1, Knoxville, TN, FN HP/GP.

I'll take some photos of it and the target when I get it to the range next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine from Aim also and fired in Wed. I used winchester 115gr and the Tula 115gr brass that walmart sells in in the 100 rd cans. Both fired great with no jams, misfires, or FTF. I also tried the the 15 meg-gar magazines that I bought and they worked great. The only question I have are the magazines suppose to pop out some when you hit the magazine release? On mine when I hit the release it clicks but I have to pull the magazine out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't remember the part mane but there is a piece that rides against the magazine connected to the trigger. I think it is a magazine disconnect. Most people remove this part so the trigger pull is better. You can find videos of how to remove it on youtube I believe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice pistol you have there, but not a MKIII. That's a MKII you've got there. (That's a good thing.)
Should have a rib atop the slide leading to an integral front sight.
Should also have a hole in the front of the slide under the muzzle. Those features are unique to the MKII.

The MKII also introduced the straight barrel ramp to facilitate the feeding of JHP ammo and the extended FN ambi safety.
With those features and the unique MKII sights a lot of guys like the MKIIs better than the versions that came before and after it. The MKIIs were only made from '81 to '89, so they're also one of the less numerous Hi Power variants.

·
Registered
287 Posts
On the HP MKII, the sights are still rather small, but a noticeable improvement over the classic hump and bump front sights of the earlies fixed sighed HP variants in that they are more angular in profile.
The MKII's sights consisted of a front sight that was actually part of the slide and of the same width as the low rib that runs fore and aft atop the slide.
The rear sight, as illustrated above, is dovetailed into the rear of the slide and is back cut at its rear face.
These sights are unique to the MKII. Sometimes, especially lately on Israeli import HPs, one will see the MKII has had its OEM sight replaced with a rear hump and bump sight like one would find on a C Series Vigilante. My guess is that there would be two reasons for this: To replace a damaged rear sight or to resolve an elevation issue. (FM made them in 3 different heights).

The MKIII sights are different from any previous HP sights. They were FN's solution to finally modernize the HP's sights to the contemporary standards of the day. The MKIII sights are larger and dovetailed front and back, making for easy replacement. The larger sights are the easiest way to identify a MKIII from a distance or in photos, as some contract MKIIIs still retained the small single sided safety at customer's request. The MKIII slide also deleted the small drain hole in the slide under the muzzle, which makes the hole another feature unique to the MKII.

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also bought one of the Israeli surplus Hi-Powers from AIM. The finish looked like hell - some kind of preservative coating/paint or something; and the rear sight had some serious wear. I cleaned it up and replaced the rear sight and it still is not the finest looking pistol. BUT, it shoots great. No hiccups feeding anything and pretty darned accurate for this old man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up an AIM Surplus "Shooter grade" Hi-Power this morning. Who says I can't be productive on the computer? Anyway, how bad is a shooter grade gun? They had some refinished FN's for $595 but I saw these for $395 and clicked before I thought. Just looking for some input if anyone else has ever picked up a shooter grade gun or did I just buy a $400 boat anchor?

Also, what is the conventional wisdom on these guns? Refinish and spend a little money to bring them up to "today's" standards or leave them as is for future collectors and such? As always any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
On the HP MKII, the sights are still rather small, but a noticeable improvement over the classic hump and bump front sights of the earlies fixed sighed HP variants in that they are more angular in profile.
The MKII's sights consisted of a front sight that was actually part of the slide and of the same width as the low rib that runs fore and aft atop the slide.
The rear sight, as illustrated above, is dovetailed into the rear of the slide and is back cut at its rear face.
These sights are unique to the MKII. Sometimes, especially lately on Israeli import HPs, one will see the MKII has had its OEM sight replaced with a rear hump and bump sight like one would find on a C Series Vigilante. My guess is that there would be two reasons for this: To replace a damaged rear sight or to resolve an elevation issue. (FM made them in 3 different heights).

The MKIII sights are different from any previous HP sights. They were FN's solution to finally modernize the HP's sights to the contemporary standards of the day. The MKIII sights are larger and dovetailed front and back, making for easy replacement. The larger sights are the easiest way to identify a MKIII from a distance or in photos, as some contract MKIIIs still retained the small single sided safety at customer's request. The MKIII slide also deleted the small drain hole in the slide under the muzzle, which makes the hole another feature unique to the MKII.
so I have a MKIII but with a stubby, stiff, basically useless, non-extended thumb safety.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem to have a FN ambidextrous safety installed. The earlier Israeli MK IIIs were spec'd with the old single-side safety because they train to carry with the chamber empty.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. It's the only way I'd carry this thing as is. It's like they put super glue in the safety guts.

any idea where I could source an FN ambi?

·
Registered
287 Posts
The cheapest place is likely directly from Browning. Make sure you get both sides and the little pin that holds the passenger side lever onto the shaft.

(800) 322-4626

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is no such thing as drop in parts. It may or may not fit, depending on the new part and the alignment of the rest of the lockwork.

I strongly recommend professional installation.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Nice deal!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts