FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my LGS this weekend, and he had two NIB SCAR 16s' on the shelf. The gentlemen at the counter informed me that it was the recently redesigned SCAR 16s that could accomodate a PMAG Gen 2 without risk of internal damage. In fact, a Gen 2 PMAG was seated in the mag well, right there on display for the world to see.

I didn't strip the 16s to confirm or deny the rumor of a redesign--the shop was plenty busy, and I didn't plan to buy the 16s that day in either case. (Someday soon... someday soon.)

Can anyone here speak to whether FN got around to fixing their little issue on the SCAR 16s in order to accommodate the Gen 2 PMAG? I know the Gen 3 PMAG solves this issue anyway, but it would be good to know if SCAR found a solution as well.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Even Gen 3 P-Mags need sanding because they lift the bolt catch just enough..Unless Magpul made changes after the first 3 or 6 months of production..

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
An LGS employee is the last Mohican on earth I would believe about a design change. If FNH was going to change their design they wouldn't call some peanut at an LGS and tell only him. I believe you'd hear it here first. Besides why the heck would FNH change their design to accommodate PMAGs? Those aren't military issued or as Ferris said mil spec. I like them as much as the next man but I still love my old school USGI aluminum mags. With updated followers and new springs they are outstanding.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The SCAR was designed 4 years before the first PMAG came out. It's not their fault the Pmag doesn't conform to the (still draft after 34 years) 4179 STANAG pattern.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
The P-Mag fixed a "kinda sorta" issue with AR15's, mag wobble in the magwell.

SCAR16 doesn't have this "issue."

·
Registered
41 Posts
The bolt catch is biased, left of center on the SCAR by design. It was done to prevent the mechanism from completely falling out of the weapon should the c-clip on the magazine catch body be lost.

-SS
OP, you can go back and check of yourself, without disassembly, just mag out and look down at the catch to see if it's left biased.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the good input. I had a feeling something was fishy about the explanation I recieved. Now I need to decide whether to go back in and explain to them why they shouldn't put PMAGs in their display SCAR 16s, or just to let it go and live with the knowledge that they may be giving bad info to a future SCAR owner.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd go back. I'd make a point of disassembling the "New And Improved SCAR" when there are other customers in the store to show that the gen 2 mags -don't- work and the management is making false claims. A good old fashioned public shaming, if you will.

SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
It's unlikely they're going to admit they were incorrect.
If they don't get called on their bull**** they will continue to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts