FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my buddy ask the guys at the FN booth about 20" barrel and tool kit. They told him the 20" won't be coming to civies and "good luck" on the tool kits. WTF?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That's FNH for ya, that or the guy doesn't have any info about it.

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Now if you are talking about the SCAR tool kit that has the torque wrench, etc... Contact Stryker Ent., he may have some.

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I never understood the excitement over the toolkit. It just doesn't seem remotely worth the cash unless you're a completist collector or something.
The purpose of the toolkit is to facilitate barrel changes on the go, so one could quickly go from DMR to Std to SBR as desired. It is my belief that FNH will not release the 20" barrel assembly until a civilian SCAR Precision Rifle model becomes available to the public.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was there on Friday, and I did not discover anything new at the FN booth. I think the main emphasis at the booth was on their handgun line and their shotgun line. I really like the FN SLP series, and found them to be far more agile than my Benelli M4. I may take a 2nd look into buying one. As far as their pistols are concerned, I prefer Glocks to their striker fired pistols, and I'm not a fan of DA/SA pistols. I'm sure they build good pistols for the price, but my Glock 17/19s serve me well.

They had the FN-15 variants on display, and I generally found the staff who covered the SCAR and AR variants to be clueless (except for one). I attempted to examine the bolt carrier on the FN-15 carbine, and one of their reps asked me not to disassemble the gun. When I apologized, he explained that it was because of their SHOT Show rule where they worry about other vendors copying their manufacturing techniques :p :idea: Apparently, ARs are so secretive that they are worried about what Bushmaster might do. :p The good news is that the FN-15 appears to have an appropriately staked gas key and other mil-spec components. While it would be nice if they had a cold-hammer forged barrel on their ARs, their FN-15 variants should serve as a decent alternative to the DD, Colt and Bravo Company offerings that tend to be out of stock.

Putting that issue aside, no new modifications to the SCAR is planned. Likewise, they have no plans to introduce a system where the charging handle does not reciprocate. They simply stated that it will be sold "as is" per military contract specs. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice if they put some improvements into the rifle system and call it a "SCAR2", etc. This could include: non-reciprocating charging handle, a reinforced latch for the folding stock, better attachment points for a sling (that don't require the wire loop Blue Force Gear sells) and getting rid of that atrocious muzzle brake. Funny I mention the muzzle brake, because even the one knowledgeable rep that was there told me he prefers a flash hider on his own SCAR.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Nothing like a bit of misinformation to mess with the kids who are licking the candy store's glass window after the place is closed.

FN Rep, "YOU CANT HAVE IT!"

Public, "I WANT IT EVEN MORE NOW!"

The LB offering is still being worked on. It's not dead.

Tool kits are indeed pricey, and yes, it would be nice if they were $50 but they aren't, and obiviously are for the FN purist who can afford to purchase them.

The same could be said about the cleaning kits, and for that matter the weapons themselves.

Everything in life is relative to one's disposable income.

-SS

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
While it would be nice if they had a cold-hammer forged barrel on their ARs
I don't quite understand the fascination with hammer forged barrels. It's an economical way to rifle the barrels versus to the old button rifling technique.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The purpose of the toolkit is to facilitate barrel changes on the go, so one could quickly go from DMR to Std to SBR as desired. It is my belief that FNH will not release the 20" barrel assembly until a civilian SCAR Precision Rifle model becomes available to the public.
I realize that, but my point was that you can complete the same tasks with a cheaper, locally sourced kit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't quite understand the fascination with hammer forged barrels. It's an economical way to rifle the barrels versus to the old button rifling technique.
Reason being that the carbon and martensite in some steels during hammer forging becomes more dense per measured area making the steel less affected to intense heat and heat fluctuations and theoretically creating a throat less affected to throat erosion. Where I worked did many such tests as well as seeing what changes take place to bbl. steel before and after many different processes of cryogenically stress relieving. Heat is a huge factor in engineering bbls that are knowingly going into semi, and full autos.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
jesus...the amount of technical information on this board kills me...you guys/lefty know some sh!t! Thanks for the lesson!

Reason being that the carbon and martensite in some steels during hammer forging becomes more dense per measured area making the steel less affected to intense heat and heat fluctuations and theoretically creating a throat less affected to throat erosion. Where I worked did many such tests as well as seeing what changes take place to bbl. steel before and after many different processes of cryogenically stress relieving. Heat is a huge factor in engineering bbls that are knowingly going into semi, and full autos.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I know is it might be easier to add SS to my checking account as I am one of those completionist. Neither of my SCAR's are complete without all the bbl's, tool and cleaning kits, and Storm case. Then there are all the extras. I mean I guess since it is not legal to own full auto on anything made after 1986 for us lowly civillians, couldn't it otherwise be identical?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ever get the feeling fn cares more about large le or government contracts than they do civilian sales?
No. I get the feeling that people do not understand the cost to manufacture products. Those little changes cost big bucks and there isn't enough of a return on investment to do so. The SCAR has a very small market share and people are not willing to pay more to the already high cost for simple changes that are personal preference and not required.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts