FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright in feb i will be moving to free America ( i live in California where we are very limited to what we can buy) i want to get all kinds of guns. if i got a PS90 and also bought the sbr barrel (just to have i wouldn't install it until all the legal paper work was done and i got the tax stamp) would it be legal to have the barrel?

thanks

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Not sure if there is a 100% answer to this. I have seen this topic come up a lot of times, on various sites. EVeryone ends up disagreeing on these threads usually, and they all cite eveidence.

Personally, I wouldn't get the barrel w/o the paperwork in hand 1st - just my opinion. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check your state laws. South Carolina makes it a felony to have the short barrel and the weapon w/o the approval, even if uninstalled. Other stated may be the same. Not sure on the federal law. Probably the same since they (ATF)consider you to have a machine gun just for having any machine gun sear or receiver that is in working condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Shipwreck. Just having the barrel is not a good idea. Not as bad as having a short barreled upper for an AR that could be switched out in seconds, but why take any chances. Do the form 1, then get your parts and do the build. If you must get the parts now, keep them at your mom's house or something. Don't have them in the same proximity just to CYA.

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
I have an extra barrel (take off) that I purchased on Gunbroker.com. If it were illegal to purchase a barrel of any size without an approved Form 1, you would not be able to buy it without the approved Form 1, from anybody. This would require the remittance of $200 to the ATF even before you bought it.

If you are going to buy a pre-manufactured barrel that is already cut crowned and has the flash hider, it would be wise, but not necessary, to obtain a Form 1 first. You may decide that its just too much of a hassel to make your PS90 into a SBR. Just do not keep the parts next to your operational PS90 (even though there is an awful lot of work that has to be done to replace the standard barrel with a short barrel, as well as specialized tools, time, effort, ability, knowledge, Blah Blah Blah!!!).

If you are going to buy a take off barrel (one that has been taken off of a PS90 that was cut at the flash hider) then there will probably be no problems having it without the Form 1 (unless you have a milling machine) because it requires additional machining before it can be made operational as a short barreled rifle.

Either way, it is not illegal to have a short barrel as the regulations are now written but others will say that their interpretation is different. This is the gray area of INTENT and ABILITY and CONSTRUCTIVE POSESSION and PARTS and TOOLS and KNOWLEDGE and TIME and Blah Blah Blah Blah!!!

Its a barrel and not a firearm, therefore it is not subject to regulation UNTIL you marry it to a receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts