FN Herstal Firearms banner

Nfa tracking thread

239K views 2K replies 278 participants last post by  akitainu 
#1 · (Edited)
I figure this would be a good Idea to see how long it is really taking ;)

YHM Phantom .308 can

submitted to my FFL=2-9-12
NFA cashed check=3-20-12

The wait is on :p

I also have a .45 can in waiting but didn't use a check(MO).

Submitted to FFL=11-10-11, approved 6-25-12

http://www.nfatracker.com/default.aspx

UPDATE:
Looks like it takes them 2 to 3 weeks to cash the checks and then god knows how long to check a box on a form for approval :p

Some neat stuff(not good news though)

NFA Wait Time Calculator (V3)

http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/NfaWait.php

http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/WaitTimeTrend.php

NFA Application Volume
FY2010 set a new record for the number of transfer applications received by the NFA Branch for the making, import, transfer, export and interstate movement of NFA firearms. There were more than 91,900 application forms processed in FY2010, which accounts for a 6% increase over FY2009, which had set the previous record with 86,753 applications processed. 2010 marked the sixth straight year of annual increases in NFA applications. The overall trend is dramatic when you consider that FY2005 had a total volume of 41,579 applications.

By FY 2011 that number had increased to 105,373

See less See more
#7 ·
I sent one in on the first of November, and two more in the first week of Feb. Sorry I don't have more details, but I've learned just to send them in and not get too wrapped up in timetables. They get here when they get here, if I get impatient it just seems to take longer.

Nothing yet. I would expect the first one by the end of this month, but you never know. It might be next month.

Az

#8 ·
Yep, send them your money and their forms and then forget about it. Then sometime in the next year you can act surprised about it :p

#9 ·
Yep, send them your money and their forms and then forget about it. Then sometime in the next year you can act surprised about it :p
No acting at that point MP. :-D

#18 ·
About to send my SBR forms in for my PS90. Don't know if I am excited about it or not :p

#20 · (Edited)
About to send my SBR forms in for my PS90. Don't know if I am excited about it or not :p

Save the excitement for later... when you get the approval back. :?

I know what you mean though... Hopefully next week I will be submitting a form 1.

Hope I still have some fingerprint cards... hmmm.

Excited, but not looking forward to the 7 month wait. :p

#21 ·
I hate how you have to chunk all the money up front and walk out of the store $1200 poorer with nothing in your hands, and no end in sight. A few weeks ago I went in with the intent to buy an SDN6 but the guy didn't have one, and couldn't tell me when he would get anymore in... he said it might be months. He had a brand new M4-2000 on the rack and only ONE left, so I bit. Now I STILL don't have a 7.62 CAN and I'm stuck paying off the credit card I melted in the process.

#25 ·
Dropped my Form 1 application packet at the Post Office today, 10:13 A.M.

See how this goes.

#26 ·
According to all the trackers, we're now up to 8 months for wait time!! So it went from 4 months to 6 months in 3/4Q11 to 1Q12, now 6 to 8 months from 1Q12 to 2Q12. This is insane. The wait time will probably be up to a year by the time 4Q12 hits. I have 4 items waiting and soon to be a 5th. Ugh!

I have a theory, more conspiracy than not; in the event that the government knew something was about to go down (i.e. civil unrest), but didn't inform its citizens, I would assume they would inform the BATFE to hold all approvals until further notice. So it would be nice if someone kept a keen pulse on when the very last approval was, and then track the duration. If it gets beyond X weeks/months since that last approval, then that would be a potential trigger event. I only say this since optically it is less transparent of a 'denial' than flat-out denying someone purchasing a new (non-Class III) firearm. If the later happened then it would be too obvious. Just a thought.

#27 ·
I have a theory, more conspiracy than not; in the event that the government knew something was about to go down (i.e. civil unrest), but didn't inform its citizens, I would assume they would inform the BATFE to hold all approvals until further notice. So it would be nice if someone kept a keen pulse on when the very last approval was, and then track the duration. If it gets beyond X weeks/months since that last approval, then that would be a potential trigger event. I only say this since optically it is less transparent of a 'denial' than flat-out denying someone purchasing a new (non-Class III) firearm. If the later happened then it would be too obvious. Just a thought.
That does sound like a "convenient" thing for the government to be able to do - though I'm not sure that's the intent of the long wait.

#28 ·
Before you go getting worried about some conspiracy a foot read through this

SilencerTalk • View topic - ATF continued.......

Stuff is getting approved.

There is more people doing suppressors and SBRs then ever before and the NFA has lost an examiner and a supervisor, from Oct.through April they had more forms submitted than in whole year of 2010.

#29 ·
There is more people doing suppressors and SBRs then ever before and the NFA has lost an examiner and a supervisor, from Oct.through April they had more forms submitted than in whole year of 2010.
Perhaps they need to enlist some temporary volunteers from the FNF? :mrgreen:

I definitely agree, Tal, that people are buying up NFA items like wild these days.

#30 ·
I think you misinterpreted my theory. I'm not saying there is any issue...right now. The delay is simply due to mass demand and lack of resources on the BATFE side. I get that. It is what it is. What I was saying is that if it simply stopped, then having a grasp of that duration would potentially be insightful.

#32 ·
This was posted on another board I am on. Not sure of the source but like the content.

OtherBoard said:
"As of right now, the NFA Branch in Martinsburg, West Virginia is reporting an average turnaround time for a Form 1 or 4 to be pushing seven months. This is mostly attributed to the surge in suppressor ownership, with suppressors now making up almost 70% of all transfer requests. The tide does not seem to be diminishing, so NFA Branch has secured assistance.

"The NFA Branch will be placing 10-12 “Examiner Assistants” as part of a contract employee program for an initial period of one year. This placement will begin immediately and it is expected that they will begin having an impact on the paperwork mountain as early as this summer. In addition, NFA Branch is seeking permission to create a posting announcement for fiscal year 2013 for the placement of 5 new Examiners. This will be difficult, considering that ATF is still facing a hiring freeze. Contact your representatives and express your support! Hopefully, these measures will result in improved turnaround times."

FWIW, NFATCA member and good friend Bob Howell noted in a post elsewhere:

"I spoke to the folks from NFA Branch at the creek last October (I go there to speak on Dealer Set Up day for the NFATCA about NFA Trusts every year). Believe me they are trying their best. The figures they passed out at that meeting indicated that their volume has pretty much more than doubled in the last 2-3 years (suppressors mostly). The highest volume of transfers in the history of the NFA was the month prior to that meeting, the next highest month was the month before that, and so on.

"Basically it is due to all the new folks coming into the hobby because of the ease of using a trust. When I started writing about them I was the only one out there, now there are more NFA trust "experts" than I can count in every NFA friendly state. So the numbers of folks entering ino the hobby has grown exponentially over the last couple of years

"And unfortunately, as the govt is on a hiring freeze they are having to do more work with the same amount of resources. But this latest news (by way of the NFATCA) is a good start."

#33 ·
They should separate the suppressors from the SBR's, etc.

Why should my SBR form 1 be held up because of suppressor forms??? I can't own one here. :roll: