FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on whether night sights are worth the extra cash or not. Are FNP factory night sights tritium?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have had guns with night sights before. Currently, I have none.

I shoot most of the time at a dark, indoor range. At the range, it is not dark enough for the tritium to be seen glowing. But too dark to see sights that do not have clear, white, big dots.

So, I like sights with nice big white sights.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, seems to me if it's dark enough for the tritium to glow, you aren't going to see much of your target without a tac-light anyway. I could probably spend that extra ~100 bucks on ammo. That being said, how are the regular sights on the FNP series?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The sights are white three dot. Good visibility. I agree with Shipwreck about night sights. If its dark enough for them to be useful, its probably too dark to see your target clearly. I like the idea of laser sights, but have never tried them.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Most of my handguns have night sites. I bought some AmeriGlo recently for the FNP-9. I haven't put them on yet though.

At the indoor ranges the targets are usually in a darker area than the shooter. And the most light is uaually behind the shooter.

Night sites work well anytime you are in a darker area than your target. For instance, in your bedroom and looking down a lite hallway. Or in a parking garage with spotty lighting... etc. When the adreneline is flowing you don't want to be searching for your sights.

Night sights work best for me when there is not enough light behind me to illuminate regular sights well.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
In my house, I have night lights in various spots - so I have enough light to at least see my outline of the front sight. All I need do is cover my target with the front sight, and it will hit (maybe an inch or two higher if not alligned right with the rear - but that's good enough).

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much do the aftermarket night sights typically go for? Is it a cheaper option than getting the factory night sights? Does it require a gunsmith for install or is it an easy process to remove the old and install the new?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Scroll down to the Sponsors area and look in the Top Gun forum. He is running a special on FNP night sights. :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
For defensive use, I prefer to have night sights. The problem with urban environment is that there will be times where there is just enough life to know the assailant but not enough to see the sights due to multiple light sources.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I prefer night sights. I have them on all my FNP's and front posts on a couple of AR's. They do work well in low light situations, not just little to no light situations.

I am sure the battle of night sight versus regular 3 dot will rage on like the AK vs. AR arguments. But the bottom line is not every gun has dots on the sights. Such as a Vintage or mil spec 1911. The ability to adapt is what should make one a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the insight gentlemen. It's helpful in the purchase decision making process. Night sights sound like a good option for a defensive pistol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
check out "nite siters" website. video is interesting. i don't work for them. i bought them , i use them and i'm satisfied with them 100% i will always buy factory installed n sights whenever i can though. but these things are great for my revolvers so i tried them o0n my fnp45. they work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear you do like them!

I AM the guy that makes Nitesiters. Feel free to ask me anything in regards to them. I'm always happy to help!

Dave Presley
Nitesiters.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to FN, they're putting C-More® Fixed 3-Dot Combat Sights on the FNP-45 but I'm having no luck finding any information on this product. Does anyone know of a link you could post or for those of you more fortunate souls that already have their 45's, could you post a few pics of the sight picture ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My .40 came with the trijicons. They rock... er, they glow! There's something cool about having some radioactive tritium on your firearm that glows for years all by itself.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have never shot in low light, so I cannot comment on their usefulness in low light. What I do like about night sights is the ability to find my handgun in the middle of the night. When I see the three dots glowing on the nightstand, I feel like I can grab it easier than if it wasn't glowing. Now that I see some of the other posts, this seems like a pricey way to locate the gun. I never looked at it that way. Now I wonder if I should just buy some great target sights (at least on one of my GLOCKs) so that I can be more accurate for about the same price or less. Or perhaps spend the money on a light, laser, or light/laser combo.

I have Ameriglo night sights on my GLOCKs and they are bright enough in low light to line up and really bright in the dark. I was thinking that if when I get my FNP-9 and decide whether or not I need night sights, I will go for the Ameriglo night sights on it.

They are cool though, perhaps getting them with the gun, being cheaper, is the way to go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, I just ordered some Nitesiters. Thought I'd give them a try, sure cannot beat the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put night sites on every gun I have. They just work better for me. I really like TruGlo TFO's. Can't wait till they make some for the FNP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts