FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently decided to take the big plunge into the NV world. Got a great deal on a L3 PVS-17C M957 4.5x scope. It is fantastic and I would really like to put it on my 17S as its primary host, but knowing the fragility of NV equipment, and the old tales of 17s chewing up optics and lasers (PVS-14s and PEQ-15s), I wanted to see if anyone had any input before I shot my rifle with an $8K scope attached.

AN/PVS-17C

Anyone have any experience with the scope on SCARs?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
send our forum member ETraylor3 a PM. I know he has a ton of experience with both NV and Thermal and might be able to help you out with some of your "toughness questions!" Good luck and awesome unit.

Hey guys, recently decided to take the big plunge into the NV world. Got a great deal on a L3 PVS-17C M957 4.5x scope. It is fantastic and I would really like to put it on my 17S as its primary host, but knowing the fragility of NV equipment, and the old tales of 17s chewing up optics and lasers (PVS-14s and PEQ-15s), I wanted to see if anyone had any input before I shot my rifle with an $8K scope attached.

AN/PVS-17C

Anyone have any experience with the scope on SCARs?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Buckeye! I PMed him.

FNpurist, my understanding is that the problem was with them not being able to take the Gs of the carrier slamming forward after recoil, but that they later fixed the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you can post your findings here it would probably be helpful to all of us thinking of the same things as you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DD, you have experience with the PVS-17 on a SCAR-17? Im aware that the optic can handle .308, my concern is specifically the 17Ss carrier slamming forward into the piston assembly and the problem that has caused for other optics that are usually fine on .308 guns (e.g. the TR20 that a member on here had come apart)

·
Registered
53 Posts
FD, Yes. The gentleman that BigBuckEye told you to email (Ed) just asked me to tell you that he's sorry he hasn't had a chance to login in a while so he hasn't been able to respond to your PM (but he did receive it in an email yesterday) and that what you want to do should be just fine. He and I have both personally used the aforementioned NV optic on the SCAR at length with zero issues. Happy Hunting! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Thank you very much DD! Did the weapon/optic combo serve you guys well?

Ill post results after its first few times out.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Flir has a new thermal sight coming out. $3500 for the base model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
AAAAGGHHHH. Went to the range to zero the PVS-17C on the SCAR-17S today...... not only was i so far high and right that I couldnt adjust far enough, but after three shots I all of a sudden had black dots and blotchiness in my tube!!!

From what I am learning online.... this sounds like an exact match of everyone's description of recoil damage to a NV device.... both Insight and everyone I talked to said the PVS-17C would be fine on a SCAR-17 since its made to be used on a M240B.........

HELP!!!

..... not looking forward to the RMA conversation with L3-Insight on monday morning.

Does anyone know how much this will wind up costing to get fixed?

(crying)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Falcon,

I can't believe what I'm reading right now. Literally.

How many hours are on this tube??? Is it an old tube???? This should NOT be happening. I've run numerous PVS-17's on many many SCAR 17s (I'm talking thousands upon thousands of rounds) and never had ANY issues!!!! This is insane!!

This should absolutely be a warranty-able issue!! Let us know what they tell you!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DD, I have talked to them now. They said the optic is not warrantied, I would have to pay a $150 evaluation fee and then probably pay for a new tube, either a brand new one for $2400 or a refurbished one for $1000. They said it must be old, they would not take responsibility, even though THEY told me to put it on the rifle. They also advised probably not using it on a 17 in the future.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So this was not designed to work with one of the most ubiquitous and commonly used battle cartidges ever produced? Soldiers were succesfully using NVOs in Vietnam on M-14s for goodness sake, and its 40 years later.

Reactions: DingDong
1 - 19 of 19 Posts