FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 scope and I was hoping someone here could give me advice on what scope rings would be a good fit (attaching to my 17s of course).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Definitely not. Since the Scar has a flat rail on top unlike a bolt action gun you'll need more clearance. The outside objective diameter is listed at 65mm/2 to get center of scope = 32.5mm/25.4 to get inches = 1.280. that's the MINIMUM height you want to look for. Don't forget if you want scope covers you're going to need more room (ask me how I know, go ahead, lol). The absolute lowest of the NF rings you would want are the A110 (4 screw set) or A268 (6 screw set) both 1.375. They may still not give you enough room for a front scope cover and probably won't clear the rear sight. I'm not a SHTF kinda guy so I just removed the rear sight. Not the same scope but you get the idea it won't clear the rear sight. The highest set may. View attachment 37301

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased the A191 Uni-mount for my 56mm Nightforce
At 1.375" the scope will clear my scar rail but not by much...definitely wont clear the rear iron folded so that'll be an issue depending on where you put your cheek along the stock
If you like the height of your iron sights they're a standard co-witness height at 1.456" (37mm) which would mean you should go with the A221 at 1.5" above the rail, I can't seem to find the Eyeshell diameter online but I bet with the A221 you'd clear the rear iron just fine
FYI though I had a QC issue with my A191
http://fnforum.net/forums/optics-mounts-sights/68377-i-think-someones-drunk-nightforce-qc.html
make sure you check your mount for that issue prior to install...it deformed a 100 dollar picatinny base for my Tikka...my head would probably have exploded if that happened to my scar rail

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured as much on the height, I didn't not consider the scope covers with height, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance you could link a picture, I'd like to see your setup. What a mess with the QC issue....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Never heard of anyone co-witnessing through a magnified optic before. How does that work? The optic would have to be mounted even more forward on the rail to allow the rear sight to be opened.
I purchased the A191 Uni-mount for my 56mm Nightforce
At 1.375" the scope will clear my scar rail but not by much...definitely wont clear the rear iron folded so that'll be an issue depending on where you put your cheek along the stock
If you like the height of your iron sights they're a standard co-witness height at 1.456" (37mm) which would mean you should go with the A221 at 1.5" above the rail, I can't seem to find the Eyeshell diameter online but I bet with the A221 you'd clear the rear iron just fine
FYI though I had a QC issue with my A191
http://fnforum.net/forums/optics-mounts-sights/68377-i-think-someones-drunk-nightforce-qc.html
make sure you check your mount for that issue prior to install...it deformed a 100 dollar picatinny base for my Tikka...my head would probably have exploded if that happened to my scar rail

·
Registered
57 Posts
It doesnt work...its a magnified optic. I was simply saying that if mikerh liked the height of his irons a 1.5" ring height would be closest
mikerh what setup did you want to see?
scar with nightforce?
i never run that combo because a 556 carbine with a 2lb 15x nightforce mounted to it is wayyy overkill...i did it once to check fitment then quickly separated them haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts