FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Nikon M308 BDC for my SCAR 17. Does anyone have this scope on their SCAR? This cold snap is keeping me from the range but when I can go, I will sight this in starting at 25 yards and work out to 100 yards. After I get it sighted in at 100 yards, I will use the BDC for other distances - I'll let you know who well it works.

if anyone has a M308 on their SCAR, I would really be interested on what you did to sight it in and how well it worked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had it on the scar 17 but only in between when I was weighing optic choices. It is ok (budget scope) however it does leave you wanting more. Sighting in I just used my laser boresight. You can use their app which i found to be very helpful. Please note that I am a elitist jerk when it comes to glass. :-o

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Monarch 2-8x BDC on my 17. I shoot Heavy Metal Tactical so I need a lower power for close targets. Great all around scope for my usage. May get a M308 for my SOCOM.

·
Registered
379 Posts
all BDC reticle scopes are based on general use.....
they will not be exact, your muzzle velocity and barometric pressure(feet above sea level) will effect your trajectory.
to get around this they normally use 2nd focal plane scopes, that means you must be at a certain power setting for your round to work

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had it on the scar 17 but only in between when I was weighing optic choices. It is ok (budget scope) however it does leave you wanting more. Sighting in I just used my laser boresight. You can use their app which i found to be very helpful. Please note that I am a elitist jerk when it comes to glass. :-o
I appreciate what you are saying, I have an EOTech on my Sig 556R. I plan to shoot distance with my SCAR and I feel sure I will get a better scope as I learn more. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just got a Nikon M308 BDC for my SCAR 17. Does anyone have this scope on their SCAR? This cold snap is keeping me from the range but when I can go, I will sight this in starting at 25 yards and work out to 100 yards. After I get it sighted in at 100 yards, I will use the BDC for other distances - I'll let you know who well it works.

if anyone has a M308 on their SCAR, I would really be interested on what you did to sight it in and how well it worked.

Mgentry,

Your BDC will not likely be accurate as you will most likely have a 3.5" bore sight differential on the SCAR and I am sure Nikon set the BDC up for a more typical 2.5" BSD.....for what it is worth, the BDC is still a good idea but you will be best served by chronoing your rounds then putting them into a ballistic calculator to see what your actual drop will be at each MOA/MIL. Check with Nikon and they can provide you the BDC specs then you can match the actual BDC marking with the actual dope info from your rifle and you can build a scale for your BDC. For example, if you scope should be zeroed at 200 and the first mark is a 300 yard reference point at say 3.3MOA....then look up 3.3 MOA in your dope table from the ballistic calculator and you will have the actual range for the BDC mark. If that does not make sense....contact me and I can talk you through it as soon as you get the BDC specs from Nikon. Bottom line is that it will still work and be value added as long as you know how it will interact with your gun and load combination.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Nikon, you just purchase their app - Spot On, and it will do all "do" the calculations to make the scope and the BDC system work for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let all of you know after I take it to the range.

·
Registered
143 Posts
According to Nikon, you just purchase their app - Spot On, and it will do all "do" the calculations to make the scope and the BDC system work for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let all of you know after I take it to the range.
FYI, the app is free to use online. Only the mobile app has a fee. You can try it out without owning the scope yet. What it will do is tell you what the BDC holdovers relate to based on your specific setup.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html

·
Registered
604 Posts
to get around this they normally use 2nd focal plane scopes, that means you must be at a certain power setting for your round to work
Second focal plane reticles, BDC and otherwise, will only be valid at one magnification level. Usually this magnification will be stated in the manual for the scope or at the manufacturer's website. The big advantage to SFP reticles is the shooter needs to learn only one set of holdovers and then do simple math to obtain a firing solution at magnifications less than or greater than the baseline magnification. Reticles in the first focal plane allow for more precise aiming and allow the shooter more flexibility, however this precision comes with the price of having to memorize a larger set of holdovers since an FFP reticle will "grow and shrink" with the level of magnification chosen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts