FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

Nitride coated...........................Cheaper then chromelining, in theory the possibility of more accurate.

Chromelined..............................more durable, longer life depending on how you run it.

Your going to hear both sides of this debate claim their side is best but honestly the whole thing boils down to cost of manufacturing and here in the US the EPA is making it hell on those that use the chemicals involved in the chromelining so there is a need for something better than bare steel bores.

I fall on the side that prefer a chromelined for heavy use and would rather go with a match stainless barrel vs a nitrided barrel for precision rifle.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Normally both are good with their 5.56mm uppers but I have yet to dive into the 300BLK, what I have narrowed down to who's parts I am looking at building is Daniel Defense barrel or Noveske.

You prefer to buy vs build?
PSA claims chrome lined? How are you planing to run the setup?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DD and noveske are both more than I can spend now. I am looking to mainly run it suppressed. A lower I can build I never did an upper so I would rather just by a complete one. The dsg has an adjustable gas block where the psa does not if that may help suppressed. I may see about getting the 300BLK approved to carry on duty also but not sure yet.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
What I have found on those setscrew adjustable gas blocks is they get carbon/copper locked, you might get it to adjust for a short time but they tend to quickly lock up and not allow adjustments after being run and I would bet they will lock up faster suppressed.

For range use or to start to get into 300blk I'd try one but if you do get it approved for duty I'd look at upgrading if your going to bet your life on it, just my .02. I've seen some of these lower cost barrels 5.56mm chambers not do well with the extra dirty conditions thanks to the suppressor.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That PSA barrel is made by FN (at least according to PSA). I tend to lean towards chrome lined as well (nitride = melonite right?) and if that barrel truly is an FN, it's probably done well. I know it's not my SPR barrel, but for that thing to be chrome lined and capable of shooting sub 1/4 MOA, that means they know how to do it right.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can do full auto fire. So from your guys opinions it looks like if you were to buy one of these, you would get the PSA do to the chrome lined FN barrel? I dont know much about seekins. Dont know if they are good a building uppers or if there parts are even good. I do like the look of that hand guard it looks like its light weight.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Based on the two options your giving, yes, I would experiment with the PSA, if it runs good I'd have to change out that handguard though, something slimmer than even that Seekins. :wink:

Reactions: roaddog359

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
A non chrome lined barrel needs to be broken in properly.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
And how is that done?
This is for those looking to get the most accuracy from their barrels.
Barrel Break-in

Now, since you say your planing on running this upper on a FA lower I would not go with something non-chromelined or bother with the "proper break in" procedure for plain barrels. The break in sequence is a wast of time in your application if you ask me, your not looking at shooting for groups with this setup, if your are than you need to rethink your setup.

Reactions: roaddog359

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Unless your gun is a bullseye/bench rest gun then don't worry about the elaborate barrel break in procedure and start blasting.

The 4150 steel is better than 4140 steel for heat erosion. The chrome lining is more for corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
A non chrome lined barrel needs to be broken in properly.
And how is that done?
Follow manufacturer recommendations.

But it's usually shoot one round, clean the barrel, until patch comes out clean with no copper fouling. Shoot one more, clean. Do this a bunch of times. Lots of opinion's on the internet about how many time your do this for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts