FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking my scar 17s barrel off and getting it nitro carburizing duet o it making the barrel way harder. And with chrome lining throwing off accuracy when it heats up, and I heat it up a bit, this should make the barrel last a lot longer.

I'm sold on the nitro carburizing. My question is can you nitro carburize a barrel that is chrome lined?

Thoughts.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I don't see any way this could work. Ferritic nitrocarburizing is a range of case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals. This means the process would have to be done on the raw carbon steel of the barrel which would require removal of the chrome. The barrel bore diameter is made to account for the thickness of the chrome to get the final proper result. Removal of the chrome will increase the bore diameter and the carburizing will not replace it, which will ruin the accuracy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not measured anything in detail. I'm not into debating, it's been kicked to death in various places. I'm just wondering out loud if you can nitro carburize a chrome lined barrel. 17heavy kinda spelled out my thinking, but wanted to validate it. I need to look for a barrel without the chrome lining. I have a lantac 762 brake ordered so that's about 7-8 weeks so I have time to find one and get it done.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nitro-carb is a high temp process if I'm not mistaken and heat treatment has to be done AFTER the nitro-carb is completed. Also nitro-carb ins't harder than chrome and you can't nitro-carb parts that are already chromed.

Meloniting is better than regular nitro-carb by the way.

You'd be better off buying a spare barrel assembly and a Borka torque wrench if you are really worried about barrel life(which is already 15,000-20,000rds).

·
Registered
29 Posts
As the other posters have stated, you can't nitro-carb the factory barrel. If you're worried about it, buy a spare barrel, although I would say that for most shooters, 15,000 - 20,000+ rounds per barrel is more than most would shoot out of their rifles in a lifetime. I've currently logged nearly 4,500 rounds on my 16 with no noticeable accuracy loss (and it's the well known less accurate FDE version :D)

My personal experience has been that heat hasn't affected the accuracy of my SCAR's one iota. I've heated the barrel up on my 16 to the point where it would instantly melt fabric (and fingerprints lol) when touched with either. Accuracy was unaffected, and I was still getting 1 MOA with 55 grain PMC .223 from a stable shooting position. The biggest contribution to accuracy degradation is shooter error or an unstable position. I've seen one issue with an improperly torqued barrel, but that too was attributable to shooter error (he simply didn't know the correct procedure for reattaching the barrel.) I have noted minor accuracy gains by switching out the factory muzzle breaks with flash suppressors. I think perhaps that the muzzle breaks create more muzzle end gas disturbance than a flash suppressor does. Anyway, I would posit that you're going to a lot of expense for little real gain if you're looking to replace the factory barrel with something nitro-carbed. Experience has demonstrated that with properly done up match handloads, or even factory match grade rounds, it's fully possible to achieve sub MOA from either the 16 or the 17 platform with the factory barrels. The platform is easily capable of doing everything you might need or ask of it really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts