FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm curious, where did the original design for this come from? Was something like this ever used by military or police agencies?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SunsetSam said:
I'm curious, where did the original design for this come from? Was something like this ever used by military or police agencies?
No - it was developed strictly for airsoft.

-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was thinking that was the case. I couldn't do it then. Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with airsoft and have a Tokyo Marui P90TR, but I wouldn't put an airsoft item on my PS90.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SunsetSam said:
I was thinking that was the case. I couldn't do it then. Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with airsoft and have a Tokyo Marui P90TR, but I wouldn't put an airsoft item on my PS90.
Don't blame you. I would not either. All I'm saying is that there seem to be enterprising individuals who buy airsoft parts and re-sell them for real guns at 3x to 5x the cost.

-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
$500 seems kind of ridiculous.

The idea has merit. I wouldn't mind some protection for the barrel, something to hang more stuff on, and more up front to rest on a sandbag than just the trigger guard.

I don't think I like (or maybe don't understand) how this is mounted. But, I've fooled around with making an illuminator for the Ring Sight before I gave up and came to the conclusion that the PS90 is not friendly to having **** mounted on it. There are very few convenient mounting holes and flat spots on it.

I might not mind something that were executed better. Something that professional agencies would use. For a military rifle I want military quality. That's why I had to buy that dang ACOG. I love it, but my wallet is still screaming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just installed my Nitro Quad rail...

I just recently got my Nitro Quad rail in the mail and installed it along with the Tri-rail system. I also own a wide variety of other firearms with tons of accessories to use as a base of comparison and I would say the quality is VERY nice. I chose not to pay the $500 that magazineparts was asking for their combo and found some slightly used parts elsewhere at a better price. I have to say it TOTALLY transformed the look of the PS90 and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it so far. I am still swapping around accessories to get the overall capabilities and look that I want and I hope to finish the project within a few weeks and take it out to the range. Hopefully by then I can give more feedback on it and also post some pictures of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did NOT have to modify anything. I was able to install it myself in 15-20 minutes. The tolerances are VERY close and once installed it is rock solid and looks awesome. I plan on mounting a Surefire L72 laser system on the bottom side of my Quad rail. If anyone else has any pictures of a laser system mounted on the bottom side of the Quad rail I would love to see them...

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
To install those, U gotta drill a hole in the received in that depressed square area, right? (In the same area as those TDI rails)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You do NOT have to drill any holes or modify anything. It comes with these solid precison cut spacers that precisely fit in the recessed areas on both sides. There is also a set screw which goes against the factory machined flat area on the bottom side of the barrel. It then fits VERY snugly against the rifle housing itself. Once all of the screws are tightened it creates a rock solid platform for mounting accessories. I can tell you for a fact that no tools are needed other than a few allen wrenches. No drilling, grinding or modifying anything... period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys... if you look at the second smaller picture at the start of this thread of a Magazine parts Quad rail you can actually just see these block like spacers that fit into the recesses of the receiver. There is one on each side and each of them is held in place with the single allen screw which can clearly be seen in the picture. It is really an ingenius way of attaching the Quad rail to the receiver without having to drill or modify anything...

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
OK. I always assumed U had to drill like for those TDI rails. Kewl. Didn't know that...

I got enough crap strapped to mine, though. I don't think I nee dthat. MAYBE is I could get it for less than $100, I'd be tempted. But I know that ain't ginna happen.

I have everything I want on mine now. Only benefit I'd get would be to put my light and laser on that, and make the gun narrower again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ramboette said:
You do NOT have to drill any holes or modify anything. It comes with these solid precison cut spacers that precisely fit in the recessed areas on both sides. There is also a set screw which goes against the factory machined flat area on the bottom side of the barrel. It then fits VERY snugly against the rifle housing itself. Once all of the screws are tightened it creates a rock solid platform for mounting accessories. I can tell you for a fact that no tools are needed other than a few allen wrenches. No drilling, grinding or modifying anything... period.
I'm confused. My PS90 has a flat on top of the barrel, not the bottom. Plus, if there is a set screw that presses on the barrel I'd say that is a bad thing. You aren't supposed to have anything touching the barrel, are you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
ShipWreck said:
OK. I always assumed U had to drill like for those TDI rails. Kewl. Didn't know that...

I got enough crap strapped to mine, though. I don't think I nee dthat. MAYBE is I could get it for less than $100, I'd be tempted. But I know that ain't ginna happen.

I have everything I want on mine now. Only benefit I'd get would be to put my light and laser on that, and make the gun narrower again.
You do have to drill your gun. Look at the allen head screw on the protrusions he is referring to. It has to go through the indentions in the side of your PS90 receiver. I know, because I drilled my TDI mount through.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
SwatDude said:
ShipWreck said:

You do have to drill your gun. Look at the allen head screw on the protrusions he is referring to. It has to go through the indentions in the side of your PS90 receiver. I know, because I drilled my TDI mount through.
See, that's what I thought....

·
Registered
181 Posts
The way Ramboette described it it didn't sound like you needed to drill through the receiver. This is the way I understood it:

1. Put the blocks into the recesses in the receiver.
2. Put the Nitro Vo over the blocks and attach to them using the screws.
3. Then you tighten a setscrew to lock the mount in place.

But, if that setscrew pushes on the barrel then that is a bad thing. I imagine Magazineparts changed that.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I does not really matter what you have to do. It's an Airsoft part worth $99 and it is ALWAYS going to move around on you sufficiently enough so that you could NOT rely on a laser to be dead on each and every time.

The only thing that this getup would be useful for is a flashlight or a forward grip.

If I got one, this is what I would do. Get it from ebay for $99.00. Then, weld the whole thing together - remove the ugly screws that hold it together. Cut the extended rails off, so that it looks descent.

Smooth off the welds, bead blast it and then have it coated with black teflon.

The way to properly mount it would be to drill 2 parallel holes for the upper blocks and drill the holes straight thru the receiver. This way, the unit becomes part of the receiver rather than appendage on it.

Then and ONLY then, could you say that the unit is HEAVILY modified, worthy of being on a military rifle your life depends on.

AND - this goes without even knowing the metal composition. For all we know, it's pot metal that will get brittle at 10F and shatter. I'm sure that at $99.00 it is not quality metal.

Now, it's a sound concept - with poor execution and imporper materials. Now if ARMS came out with something smaller, milled from bar stock at say $350, I would be all over that.

Better yet - why don't I get the CNC up and tunning and start a small business? Maybe that is what it's going to take. I will make a prototype and see if there is any interest. Ah - another weekend project coming - and the wife in the backround is starting to fume. Priorities ... priorities.

-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
How do you really feel Therm? :D

I agree. Get you, Larue, Halo, or Arms to make something similar and I'll consider it. Please don't make me drill on my baby though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts