FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as I know some have it and some don't. Not sure why but my 16 has the plate and my 17 doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
16 has a right side plate that the 17 does not have. Based on how the left side plate fits into the hammer pin and sits against the safety cam, I surmise its function is to prevent the hammer pin from walking out.
yeah I guess I'll get one ordered and just watch out while shooting. It's weird that it didn't come with the left side retaining plate, you think their QC would be better than to forget parts. Unless they got rid of retaining plates all together on 17s

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I just got a scar 17, I have not shot it yet and was conducting a disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and install a SS trigger while I was at it, I have found that I do not have a left side retaining plate. How big of a problem is this? I have dry fired the rifle without any problems and the safety is functional.

Thanks,
matt
While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While the 16s has the retainer on both sides, the 17s will only have a retainer plate on the left side, looking down into the trigger module from the top, so you're good to go.
That was what I was expecting after reading the manual, however, my Scar came with 0 retainer plates :(

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think it all comes down to what role the retaining plate plays. My assumption has been that its purpose is to relieve stress around the hammer spring retaining pin holes in the receiver. So what does it do?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is a pin retainer so the pins don't walk out. A 17 will have one as stated above. Check out Handl Defense also as they may have one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help! Got one ordered from Stryker (as well as a handful of other parts). I think I'll slowly build up an inventory of spare parts - need to stockpile Ammo and mags first. I am going to prohibit myself from spending more on upgrades/accessories until I put at least a thousand rounds on it through the iron sights :spank:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts