FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man that really bites that FN is not going to make any new rounds for the general population. But they are going to make a SS198 round for the Cops. Why can't Wolf or Black hills make some. Is FN blocking them? I like the 197 and 195's but I need verity. The Cops already have SS190's what more do they need? Man this really bites.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Its been said that there are no other companies going to make rounds - at least for now. And yea - no new civilian rounds. I don't know what the hold up is, though - lack of interest, or FN stopping it. I don't know...

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
With 190,191,193 for LEO. I have to ask, what is 198 going to be then?
Ballistic Tip 5.7 that will penatrate Level IIIA vest AND frag?

·
Registered
170 Posts
It could be many things. It could be that FN has the rights to the ammo and they aren't selling or they are asking to much. Or it could be ammo manufacturers don't want to do anything with the round because they are afraid of some law or something. Or it could just be it would cost to much.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I was really hoping that Wolf would jump in with some moderate costling FMJ ammo. I'm having to limit my PS90 trigger time cause the cost is killing me. If someone came out with 100 round box of ammo for say $30-$35 a box, I'd jump on a bunch of it in a heart beat. But no such luck.

Well, I'll have to tell Amy there's no christmas for her.

·
Registered
119 Posts
devildoc said:
Man that really bites that FN is not going to make any new rounds for the general population. But they are going to make a SS198 round for the Cops. Why can't Wolf or Black hills make some. Is FN blocking them? I like the 197 and 195's but I need verity. The Cops already have SS190's what more do they need? Man this really bites.
Did someone say my name!!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, on the plus side - they haven't been jacking up the ammo cost - at least not yet - all the other ammos have been going up...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wait a sec.

You guys saying there is no production 5.7 ammo from FN anymore????

That would only leave the ss197sr ?
That's not good.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
Wait a sec.

You guys saying there is no production 5.7 ammo from FN anymore????

That would only leave the ss197sr ?
That's not good.
No, that is not what we were saying... On the Q&A thread - the question was asked abouT ADDITIONAL rounds BESIDES 195 and 197...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ohh, you meant there will be no new ammo classifications / class(es) added.

"No New Rounds" to me would mean just like it says, no new manufactured stuff.

I was starting to worry the stuff would slowly dry up.

PHEW

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Let's hope that never happens. I do have 2100 rounds stored, however, so I never find myself with a gun I can't get ammo for.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
Yeah next time I see a good deal on ss195lf, I'll pickup a case or two.
Remember, the 195 ammo is lead free and may not store past 2 years (the lead primers can degrade). I would only store 197 in large amounts unless U plan to shoot it all.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya know I have been doing some reading on the subject of AP ammo and I still don't get it. What I mean is that the argument is a foolish one. I read that the reason the AP round was outlawed for civilian use was because they can penitrate body armor.

Well, there are none AP rounds that can penitrate body armor and body armor only covers 36% of body surface, so that's a moot point.

Then the argument is that "because AP round fired from a pistol are easy to conseal and fast to draw" well that one makes no sence cause now we your talking about the skill of an individual, not the bullet. Besides their are Pistols that fire rifle rounds, Olympic Arms, Kel-Tec and others fire 5.56 rounds.

And last but not least, The argument that cops are the only ones that come up against bad guy's wearing body armor, so only cops need AP rounds is a bad joke. Where do I start on this one. Well first, the last time I checked there was not alot of Bad Guy's breaking into Police Stations wearing body armor trying to steal their lunch money. Usually the bad guy's are at a CIVILIAN business(Bank) or home when the police arrive. Now on this one fact, I'd say that it's a plus for civilians to have AP rounds.

The solution is simple as I see it, You can outlaw body armor(not going to happen) or allow everyone to buy AP ammo thereby leveling the playing field for all civizens. Cause as long as Armor is not outlawed, bad guys will have it.

FN should press this issue and push to sell SS190 and all the rest to any that can afford it. IMHO.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, heck, the Tokarev 7.62x25 ammo goes a heck of a lot deeper and penetrates kevlar more than the 5.7x28 does and it's not outlawed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts