FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that if ya shoot a gun off inside, it's gonna be loud as hell. And, unfortunately, some people have to do so in self defense.

Anyway - another site had a discussion about the noise produced from various calibers.

Some claimed that the 45 ACP wouldn't be as loud inside (with the noise bouncing off the various walls) as a 9mm. Kinda surprised me - but the 45 does have less pressure.

What do U guys think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, 45 will be less damaging than 357, 9mm, 40 s&w, etc. The higher pressure and supersonic speed will do that.

I always wear hearing protection when shooting with one exception. Any gun I plan on keeping handy around the house, I fire 2 or 3 times w/o protection but out in the open. Just so it won't be a big shock if I have to use it.

FWIW I've read on another forum about one LEO who had to fire her duty weapon on the streets. She'd never shot it without ear protection... she only fired one shot and took cover, pulled her backup gun, and waited for other officers to arrive. After action report she stated she thought the gun kaboomed, etc. or had some other malfunction/issue due to the very loud noise.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
There's always the option of a suppressed weapon for in-home self-defense too. I would think that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Madhouse said:
There's always the option of a suppressed weapon for in-home self-defense too. I would think that would be the way to go.
The avg person won't have that - and, a suppressed pistol wouldn't fit in my Gunvault.

Plus, in a civil suit (unless your state has a castle law) - it may not be a good idea...

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Good points, for sure.

So, there's some truth to the .45 being quieter inside then? That's what is in my nightstand when I'm sleeping.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Interesting topic. The flash can be a shocker too. I've always wondered how waking up from a good sleep and having to fire your gun inside would effect you eyes and ears. I have to close my left eye when shooting a hand gun (Unless I turn on the LaserMax) so maybe that would help.

One thng is for sure, it would be an intense few minutes if you had to wake up and enter a gun fight in your own home.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, at my indoor range, 45 seems to be louder than 9mm. But,, I don't know what would cause more damage to the ear...

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Either way, any handgun going off indoor is in the decibel range to cause permanent damage.

I've also heard about shooters who, when they have to touch a round off without hearing protection, sometimes don't hear it at all, like the brain has shut down the ears when the bang occurs.

This is just something I've heard, not sure of its validity.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my P99 with a light attached is my night stand gun. It is in 9mm. But yea, hopefully I will never need it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
dont miss your first shot :x I say this only because i was on a HP rifle line the other day and forgot to put my ear protection back in. The first shot was a shocker but no real biggy. The flash however, while firing in the dark is a shock, when i first did some twilight shooting, I thought something was wrong because every time I pulled the trigger I would see flames come out a good 3 or 4 inches.....was not expecting that not to mention it completely obscured the target :-?

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
A small crossbow is the answer. Just carry a small crossbow with you at all times.

·
Registered
408 Posts
rizzo5586 said:
I thought something was wrong because every time I pulled the trigger I would see flames come out a good 3 or 4 inches
It appears you haven't fired your fiVeseVen in the dark.... hehehe

You wanna talk about a flame thrower! Last time I went to an indoor range, we turned the lights off and did some flashlight work. People were astounded that the "little round" would bark and spit like it did. I'd say it puts out a good 16" of flash.

Zhur

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Zhurdan said:
rizzo5586 said:
I thought something was wrong because every time I pulled the trigger I would see flames come out a good 3 or 4 inches
It appears you haven't fired your fiVeseVen in the dark.... hehehe

You wanna talk about a flame thrower! Last time I went to an indoor range, we turned the lights off and did some flashlight work. People were astounded that the "little round" would bark and spit like it did. I'd say it puts out a good 16" of flash.

Zhur
Is that because it is designed to have a longer barrel.... and when you use it in a pistol with the short barrel you get a lot of extra burn?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's it I guess I'll wear my Peltor tactical 6S's to bed from now on.
Protecting your hearing is the last thing you will be worried about when the adrenaline of a home invader kicks in. I would rather be deaf than dead.

I have also done as an earlier poster has suggested. Fired off a few shots outdoors without protection just to see what it is like and perhaps put it into memory.

That is one argument about the isoceles stance versus the weaver. The weapon is as far as you can get it from your head which would provide for a little less damage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have fired my PBR .308 about 6 times while laying on my bed. It was not to bad, of course I was prepared for it and had on ear plugs and muffs. My deer food plot is right at 300 yards from my bedroom window. I have not taken a deer this way yet, but I want to be ready if I wake up one morning and that monster buck just happens to be out there. While out on a Fiveseven demo last week I was watching someone else shoot it and noticed the fireball for the first time. I will try and bring a DB meter home and do some testing comparing indoors to outdoors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had a 9mm fired off about 6 feet away from me....just sounded like a loud "pop", but that was because of the reduced auditory input I was getting from being in a "fight or flight" mode.

I'm not too concerned about it honestly.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Templar said:
I'm not too concerned about it honestly.
My sentiments exactly. If I'm forcred into a situation that requires the drawing and firing of a weapon inside my home, the last thing I'm going to be thinking of is "Oh ****, what about my ears?!", and I certainly wouldn't change my choice of weapon based solely on that variable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I made the mistake of firing a .357 while in a car. I was behind the wheel and fired thru the open passenger side window at a varmint. I didn't think my ears were ever going to stop ringing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts