FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FS2000 which has the same exact Fire Selector (AKA Safety) as the PS90. The part is interchangeable.

My FS2000's Fire Selector has an audible, loud "click" as it is put on / off safe. However, after shooting my FS2000 for a total of 360 rounds, and numerous times putting the safety on and off for familiarity, my fire selector has developed a loud "squeak". This squeak is much louder than the normal "click".

Have any PS90 owners experienced this? Is this normal? How can I suppress the noise? Silicone or dry graphite?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep mine squeaked too...

My selector also started squeeking after the first couple weeks - I am brave/foolish/curious so I took it apart:

there were some palstic bits and obvious wear on the the detent pieces - I wiped clean everything and reassembled being careful to get the spring and attached detents oriented correctly (I think it seemed like there was an obvious right way and wrong but I was guessing) and reassembled...

a few hundred clicks later the squeak/creek was back - so...lather rinse repeat and reassemble (debated greasing it but didn't) never had another problem???

If yours is like mine it was anoying and greatly reduced my confidence and in the weapon and pride of ownership while it was present (it sounds cheap and reminded me of expanded polystyrene aka styrofoam cofee cups and cheap coolers - Squeak Squeak Sueak - I am very glad to be rid of it).

I can't say I understood what was wrong or what got better so I can't endorse reparing it yourself with any certainty... I was lucky enough to have access to another full on P90 at the time and the difference was night and day which probably gave me the confidence to role up my sleeves dive in.

G19A3 - I feal your pain,

TB

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have afew PS90s and an FS2000 and I've never heard the fire selector squeak. It's weird, I have a PS90 apart right now that has seen a lot of use and there is no sign of wear.
I would recommend grease, perhaps the kind they use on plastic gears (like in your printer) would be suitable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You nailed it right on the head, xm177e2

Hi xm177e2 :)

You had the squeak on a PS90, correct?
I have the squeak on the FS2000. It wasn't there before. This 2nd range trip, I shot 300 rds without incident. The next day it sounded like a mouse was trapped in my gun when I activated the safety. Although, your analogy of styrofoam cups is pretty accurate.

Its extremely annoying on a $2100 gun. You are also correct in that it reduces my confidence in the weapon and pride of ownership. Your whole explanation, comparisons, and feelings is 100% spot on. However, I am not brave enough to take the gun apart. I believe Promoted Pawn broke the stock where the toilet seat hinge spring goes during a disassembly. The PS90 doesn't have that complicated part so I think the PS90 stock may be simpler.

How big were the "plastic bits" you spoke of? You said the problem reappeared after the 1st attempted fix a few hundred clicks later. How long has it been squeak-free since the 2nd fix? Also, did you notice between disassembling the 1st and 2nd time if the screws that hold the stock halves together loosen over time since you "broke" the factory seal? I may try silicon or graphite on the safety. Which do you think I should try first?

Anyone else with this squeak problem? Can anyone advise what the fire selector contacts (i.e. upper or lower surface of the fire selector against...??)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Squeaky selector gets the grease...

Yes I have a PS90 and that is what the squeak was on.

The plastic bits were esentialy plastic dust and it coated the area where the detent traveled inside the safety and there is visable scoring on the tips of the detents. It could have started with a contaminate (something to consider before greasing these parts to avoid pssibly atracting capturing grit in this in accessible but exposed to the elements area. Since it stoped making the noise after cleaning (no solvents or liquids just a clean cloth and some puffs of air) the plastic residue or the mystery contaminate or combination of the two - it went silent for a while... I think the sound came from the residue being in the mechanism.

Since the second cleaning I would say 500+ clicks without any trouble I flick the safety back and forth 5-10 times every chance I get just to convince myself it is really fixed.

I do NOT recomend anyone try and fix it (I am not patient and it often leads me expensive mistakes) - rather I would push FN to replace it (It is a "Safety" and it is not functioning normaly and if I were them I would replace it just to be 'safe' rather than risk any remote legal exposure).

No problems with taking the P90 stock screws out they are plain captured nuts (metal on metal and should take many cycles) - no locking features patches or compounds. But if you are not comfortable with taking them out or more importantly not shure about under tightening or over tightening them puting things back together??? Stop now cause until they offer an armorers class to us everyday folks you are gonna being guessing.

Lube - my 2 cents
Finding a source of 'plastic safe' lube or grease is hard - though I am sure alot of things would be just fine, finding a lubricant manufacture who endorses using there product is very hard in my experience. Plastic parts should not need lube, graphite or anything other than themselves and there plasticness in this application (At least FN did not think so unless our are the only two guns that did not get lubed). If mine were still squeaking I would be talking to FN before greasing it - and I definately would not put anything on top what was already inside the mechanism making it wear and squeak. I apreciate the funtionality of the approach but if 99 out 100 or more P90's or f2000's work fine a built and lube free - for a top $$$ factory new gun mine should too.

I like my PS90, it is one of the few guns I bought brand new stock and ready to go. When it sqweaked it was maddening and if you had not mentioned your similar problem I would never have said anything to anyone about it out of a little bit of embarassment and not wanting to give any of my friends amunition to pick on my little plastic pip 'squeak' :wink:

I hope if you contact FN they don't give you any grief and you get to start enjoying your F2000 to the fullest.

TB

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just an FYI.

I believe Tetra Gun grease is safe on plastic.

I've been using Tetra Gun for over 20 years.

Great stuff. Blows everything else off the charts on lubricity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts